• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SOJA 4 Round Mock

SOJA

Round 1: 25th Overall

Jaelen Strong WR

ncf_g_jaelenstrong_ms_400x600.jpg

Analysis: First off, he isn't a perfect match with KB. A perfect match would be a guy that could take the top off the defense, Strong can do that but his strength relies in his fundamentals. What he gives us is a weapon for Cam that will contribute right away. Olsen, KB, and Strong- you can't double team all of them- one of them is going to be open on 3rd down every time. I'm assuming in this mock that Peat is off the board. 

Round 2: 57th overall

Shaq Thompson SLB/Nickel LB 

ShaqThompson1.jpg

Analysis: A lot of people on this board and in the media love Shaq and for good reason, but mark my words he's going to be that one "guy" every draft pundit is stunned is still on the board. Shaq stated at the combine he is likely a LB at the next level, but would be an excellent player to cover Tight Ends/Wide Receivers on third down. Shaq is an absolute football player and I know Rivera/McDermott could find a good use for him on the field. Oh yea and Thomas Davis would be the best mentor the NFL has to offer for young Shaq. Perfect fit. 

Round 3: 89th Overall

Duke Johnson RB

ZJAVWYQLCDBGCOA.20120924195953.jpg

Analysis: I'll admit I'm a bit biased on this one after watching Duke Johnson dismantle ACC teams particularly my Tar Heels, but make no mistake this guy can ball. No reason to spend a first or second on a RB when you can find guys like Johnson as the draft goes on. Rivera and co. have made it clear a RB will be drafted- where and when is the question. 

Round 4: 124th Overall

Eric Rowe CB

1414385.jpg

Analysis: The Panthers have drafted some great players from Utah in the past (Smitty, Gross, Star) and Rowe just might be the next great one. A tall player 6'1" he is projected as a corner/FS at the next level. I think the Panthers like what they have in Boston and will try Rowe at outside corner with Bene sliding back to nickel. This gives us insurance if we can't re-sign Norman as well. 

Round 5- 7 BPA

Good draft and I completely agree with you on Thompson.  I don't think it's outside the realm of reason at all for him to be there when we pick in the 2nd.  I'd be a little surprised if he goes in the 1st, but it could happen.  I see him like I saw Bruce Irvin a few years back.  Good football player, don't think he belongs in the 1st though.  It's possible some team could overdraft him like the Seahawks did Irvin, but it's also entirely possible for him to be there in the 2nd.  Could even be that potential trade up in the 2nd using our multitude of mid-late round picks. 

Good draft and I completely agree with you on Thompson.  I don't think it's outside the realm of reason at all for him to be there when we pick in the 2nd.  I'd be a little surprised if he goes in the 1st, but it could happen.  I see him like I saw Bruce Irvin a few years back.  Good football player, don't think he belongs in the 1st though.  It's possible some team could overdraft him like the Seahawks did Irvin, but it's also entirely possible for him to be there in the 2nd.  Could even be that potential trade up in the 2nd using our multitude of mid-late round picks. 

thanks for the input Jawny, every year you consistently are a good source of draft knowledge 

Archived