• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone live in Atlanta?

TNPanther

I have been here for 3 years and I am in early 30's...

PROS

-Atlanta is an amazing job market...much more opportunity than Charlotte. (I lived in Charlotte for 3 years as a young professional).

-Real estate is relatively cheap depending on the area you live.

-There is tons of stuff to do here. Virtually every weekend there is a festivals (420 Festival next weekend), you get all the major concerts (the Rolling Stones are coming in June), you also have tons of museums, parks, tourist attractions like the aquarium, world of Coke, etc.

-There are a ton of young professionals in all parts of the city. In Charlotte there was a lot of young professionals, but you only really found them uptown. In the Suburbs of ATL, there are tons of groups close to where you live/can afford.

-There are a lot of hot girls here....virtually all of people who graduate UGA end up here afterwords....but the girls are no doubt hot and plentiful.

-the airport is the best airport in the country...tons of direct flights, for cheap.

-Depending on the area, it's a great place to raise a family...good schools, low crime (again dependent of the area).

-MARTA is decent for public transportation...

-you get to see the Panthers live once a year....also BOA stadium is a 3 hr drive away, which isn't a big deal.

CONS

-yes the traffic does suck....if you hit it at the wrong time of day. However I have lived in many other cities (including Charlotte, and traffic sucks everywhere during rush hour).

-there are plenty of Falcon fans yes...just like there would be plenty of Colts fans in Indy, Redskins fans in DC, Bears fans in Chicago, Bucs fans in Tam...never mind. Point is it's ok to be a Panthers fan in the enemy's territory....I have met plenty of Panther fans here as well.

-Atlanta gets a bad wrap for what goes on in certain parts of the city (see College Park, Clayton county, etc). The city I live in, Johns Creek actually has the least amount of crime in the state and some of the best schools. Also virtually every place I want to shop is close by.

I am sure there are plenty of people who will chime in on this board telling you traffic sucks, this place is infested, etc....they are the people who tried to drive through the city one day to go to the airport and got stuck in traffic or a bad neighborhood. Point is, I wasn't too thrilled about moving here, but after three years, I have come to call it home and actually enjoy living here. I hope this helps.

-There is tons of stuff to do here. Virtually every weekend there is a festivals (420 Festival next weekend), you get all the major concerts (the Rolling Stones are coming in June), you also have tons of museums, parks, tourist attractions like the aquarium, world of Coke, etc.

Sounds like my kind of place...

a6e56701ab430ecf7cb1f83eaa6a3ff4.jpg

I am thinking of getting a condo or apartment in Buckhead, as it is a good community for yuppies like me and a lot of the places there aren't too badly priced. It would make my commute to work (which is right by where they are building the new Braves stadium) about 20 minutes. However, this would be a reverse commute. Good idea or no?

I have been here for 3 years and I am in early 30's...

PROS

-Atlanta is an amazing job market...much more opportunity than Charlotte. (I lived in Charlotte for 3 years as a young professional).

-Real estate is relatively cheap depending on the area you live.

-There are a ton of young professionals in all parts of the city. In Charlotte there was a lot of young professionals, but you only really found them uptown. In the Suburbs of ATL, there are tons of groups close to where you live/can afford.

-There are a lot of hot girls here....virtually all of people who graduate UGA end up here afterwords....but the girls are no doubt hot and plentiful.

-the airport is the best airport in the country...tons of direct flights, for cheap.

-Depending on the area, it's a great place to raise a family...good schools, low crime (again dependent of the area).

-MARTA is decent for public transportation...

-you get to see the Panthers live once a year....also BOA stadium is a 3 hr drive away, which isn't a big deal.

CONS

-yes the traffic does suck....if you hit it at the wrong time of day. However I have lived in many other cities (including Charlotte, and traffic sucks everywhere during rush hour).

-there are plenty of Falcon fans yes...just like there would be plenty of Colts fans in Indy, Redskins fans in DC, Bears fans in Chicago, Bucs fans in Tam...never mind. Point is it's ok to be a Panthers fan in the enemy's territory....I have met plenty of Panther fans here as well.

-Atlanta gets a bad wrap for what goes on in certain parts of the city (see College Park, Clayton county, etc). The city I live in, Johns Creek actually has the least amount of crime in the state and some of the best schools. Also virtually every place I want to shop is close by.

I am sure there are plenty of people who will chime in on this board telling you traffic sucks, this place is infested, etc....they are the people who tried to drive through the city one day to go to the airport and got stuck in traffic or a bad neighborhood. Point is, I wasn't too thrilled about moving here, but after three years, I have come to call it home and actually enjoy living here. I hope this helps.

This is a pretty good and honest summary IMO

Atlanta is great! Congrats on the job. Everything Hotsauce said is true. Atlanta was the largest market for the first company I worked for out of school. I have a lot of great memories of that time. It's a great place for young professionals. Lots of great hiking, whitewater, camping within 2 hrs of town as well. You're going to have a blast. 

Archived