• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Damiere Byrd WR, South Carolina to Panthers

We are so deep at this position, and already have multiple people that can return kicks, and Ginn and Hill are probably better deep threats. This guy's shot is small to make the roster. Slow down the hype train.

Answer me this Cock fans: How is he out of the backfield? I can see from his stats Spurrier handed the ball off to him 22 times...is he an NFL option as a scatback?

No way. He lacks the vision and agility. Contrary to what some people are saying, he was given the chance to return kicks his sophomore year I believe but never panned out. He also was not much of a quick screen and make people miss guy. He won't be a return guy and isn't all that agile. He is a go route and post receiver who can make the occasional comeback route.

Wide receiver Damiere Byrd (5-9 1/8, 173) ran the 40 in 4.28 seconds. He ran it just once since his left calf muscle tightened up on him. Byrd had a 42-inch vertical and 10-foot-11 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.03 seconds, the three-cone in 6.6 seconds and the 60-yard long shuttle in 10.90 seconds, which is unheard of (that time is faster than any other time posted at the 2015 scouting combine). Byrd also had 13 strength lifts. Byrd -- who has a track and field background -- is a small guy with a lot of speed. With those kind of pro-day numbers, Byrd will be a minimum of a priority free-agent pickup for a team following the 2015 NFL Draft.

4.2 speed AND a 42 inch vertical....

I just became a fan. one little guy out there with a bunch of 6'5 receivers... perfect smoke screen.

Put him in the Kick return and see if, like Smitty he blossoms into something special.

FirstRoundGrade.com:

July 2014

"The reported 4.30 40-yard dash for Damiere Byrd is exciting and a nugget that has put him squarely on our scouting radar for the upcoming season. While he’s generally regarded as a late-Day 3 guy right now, a big 2014 season (combined with the reported speed) will change that in a hurry. Byrd started 10 games last year and totaled 575 yards on 33 receptions (with 4 TDs) ... He’s not a big guy,..but speed is an asset that is always in demand in the NFL. He’s a name to file away as we get ready to start a new year."

(the website never mentioned him again after that)

http://firstroundgrade.com/2014/07/13/south-carolina-wide-receiver-damiere-byrd-can-fly/

Archived