• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman on the Funchess Pick

Jeremy Igo

I have always thought that drafting and acquiring smart players via FA is one of the reasons why Bill Belichick and the Pats have been successful for such an extended period.  Football IQ and instincts should not be understated. 

Yeah I know, it's just that KB has a drop issue too and so does Ginn. Hopefully KB has improved on that in the offseason and hopefully so has Fun. And I'm sure the good does it way the bad I would just love a Fitzgerald type wr. Or in a dream world Steve in his prime [emoji3]

Yeah, let's hope KB improves, or that's what Cotch and Olsen will be there for?

Nonetheless/I look at this way: We complained about having no other good, young receiver, and/or the Shaq Thompson pick (some of us). Now if the Panthers picked a guy at WR-who they really believed in, and he pans out (with some niggles)? That can only be a good thing, right?!!

I have always thought that drafting and acquiring smart players via FA is one of the reasons why Bill Belichick and the Pats have been successful for such an extended period.  Football IQ and instincts should not be understated. 

Gettleman and Rivera was pretty much saying the same thing in the last interview.  They make every prospect go to the board and explain a play they learned earlier.  Wanting to see their retention and if they understood what was going on.  Think every player they drafted went into detail of the play and not just their role. 

This, and picking guys that fit into your system and what you do, covet.

Of course, it helps when the organization knows what they're doing and looking for.

Obviously, the Pats have proven this. While the Panthers and DG, have had a good start the past few drafts.

Gettleman and Rivera was pretty much saying the same thing in the last interview.  They make every prospect go to the board and explain a play they learned earlier.  Wanting to see their retention and if they understood what was going on.  Think every player they drafted went into detail of the play and not just their role. 

Those type of players, will see mismatches or breakdowns in the defense, presumably helping the offense avoid potential calamities, or making big plays.

Funchess compares to Jeffery, a lot.

Funchess has an inch on him (6'4 to 6'3) and 16 pounds (232 to 216) but they are very similar athletic players. Same broad jump, andf Funchess' vert is two inches higher.

Both are big  bodied WRs that aren't burners, but can be deep threats, they outsize DBs and know how to fight their way open and use their size and long arms to snag balls others can't. They both make WOW catches and have amazing body. Both can also pick up YAC and  even take screens and slants and pick up chunk yards.

The fact that he's football smart is wonderful. I can imagine Proehl is just as eager to get a chance to mold this kid as he was with Benji last year. He already runs solid routes and uses his hands to fight off DBs really well. Can't wait to see what this kid can do.

That being said--don't be surprised if we watch the FA to see if we can nab a playmaker/gadget type WR, especially during TC cuts.

Funchess has an inch on him (6'4 to 6'3) and 16 pounds (232 to 216) but they are very similar athletic players. Same broad jump, andf Funchess' vert is two inches higher.

Both are big  bodied WRs that aren't burners, but can be deep threats, they outsize DBs and know how to fight their way open and use their size and long arms to snag balls others can't. They both make WOW catches and have amazing body. Both can also pick up YAC and  even take screens and slants and pick up chunk yards.

The fact that he's football smart is wonderful. I can imagine Proehl is just as eager to get a chance to mold this kid as he was with Benji last year. He already runs solid routes and uses his hands to fight off DBs really well. Can't wait to see what this kid can do.

That being said--don't be surprised if we watch the FA to see if we can nab a playmaker/gadget type WR, especially during TC cuts.

Not sure if you're aware, but the Panthers apparently drafted a smaller burner type receiver, special teams guy from the Gamecocks (he's actually an UDFA) they signed).

There's a post on it here somewhere. Nonetheless, I agree they will look for others as well.

I haven't been able to see any of the interviews yet.  Whenever I go to listen, the darned things don't play.  One time I opened another window and went to something else, and the video just popped up after 6 minutes and started playing.  I don't know if it's a software issue, or the fact that I am using Vista. I don't think that should matter, as I have updated the flash player, etc. Youtube vids play without much of a problem, maybe I will go see if I can find them there.

I guess it's about time to pull out the Asus with Win 8.1 on it that my mother gave me. 

I know what you mean, and how you feel. :thumbsu:

However, players and drafts aren't always simple math,. black and white and linear things.

Sometimes the impression a player makes on the team, and how they feel they will said player will fit into their scheme's (along with some football and athletically) can be equally as important.

This is why every draft year, there's tons of formerly highly regarded players who disappoint, and other 'lightly regarded' players who are considered steals.

Unfortunately/despite what they want us to believe (he media), it's not a predictable science. Happens every year.

NFL Brass, who get judged on this stuff much more severely than the normally wrong media, can attest to this.

You understand and yes when humans are involved its not black and white simple math.

Dave and crew deserve respect, which I'm giving plenty of to go along with this super suspect draft.

I have always thought that drafting and acquiring smart players via FA is one of the reasons why Bill Belichick and the Pats have been successful for such an extended period. Football IQ and instincts should not be understated.

Yes bill does in fact value football IQ, it can easy be seen as one of reason for success.

Its a different game now, I've heard more than a few older players talk about the "classroom/studying" side of nfl is currently insane. The newest CBA limits 2-a days, well truly it limits football strange as it seems. If you're at BOA for 8 hours and get only "practice" in pads for 90 mins plus lift for 90 mins. That leaves around 4-/+ hours in doing study hall stufff. Even some days its 7 hours full classroom.

So in the current nfl, it feels much like school all over again.

Edit: dave is a former teacher too.

thats my comparison for him as well.

What strikes me funny reading how much they liked his football knowledge is, if I recall correctly, Josh Norris on Rotoworld said he didn't think he was very "football smart" :lol:

people make up crap all the time, they go by impression  when they don't know.This just means  this Norris guy  didn't pay attention to Funchess until he had to make a comment.

Archived