• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Funchess hamstring still tight, "MAY" play Friday.

PanthersUnited

First of all his name is Devin.

Secondly, he has a minor hamstring tweak which will not hold him back from any regular season games. We aren't going to go sign some guy off the street because Funchess might not play against the Patriots in a pre-season game.

It's not just about the Regular season games genius ... A hamstring injury usually is a lingering one...And it's not just about Devin (sorry about the L) it's about no other WR on the roster being able to replicate what we need him to do... Also it's not a crime or a failure to have a backup plan... And all I asked was just to kick some tires bring some guys in ... Have a few workouts maybe...

yes that was my opinion, its also my opinion that if Funchess hammy is still the least bit tight, he needs to set the rest of the non season reps be damned. Cannot risk losing another receiver before the games are for real.

Well that's a problem .. Because he needs the snaps and rep. against a 1st team defense to have a chance at any of the things we need him to do..  

This isn't CJ, Kali or any other veteran  player who doesn't need pre-season... He is a rookie he needs every game time snap and practice rep he can get...  

Well that's a problem .. Because he needs the snaps and rep. against a 1st team defense to have a chance at any of the things we need him to do..  

This isn't CJ, Kali or any other veteran  player who doesn't need pre-season... He is a rookie he needs every game time snap and practice rep he can get...  

im not arguing the fact that Devin needs every possible rep he can get, but given the cards we were dealt,  that might not be possible. Preseason reps or not Funchess is going to be called on to be a bigger part of our passing game than initially thought.

Regardless of the number of preseason reps he gets Funchess is in for ( quoting either Jonathan Jones or Igo from tonights podcast) "baptism by fire" this season.

In the one game he played against Buffalo, he put up 53 yards on 2 receptions. I think he almost had a TD as I recall too.

At this point, we might just need to sit him until the opener.

Yea but that was playing with back ups.  The kid has skills but it seems he is being hampered thus not being where he should be. 

What because he missed a 50/50 jump ball in the end zone game 1, and had a hammy for game 2? He also did this. I wish he could've gotten in more reps, but I would not call Funchess a disappointment so far.

Because he is getting reps with the back ups and is injured.  Yes that is disappointing and I for one am not super excited for him sitting the bench. 

well crush the jags with our 2nd teams

Watch the Jacksonville games. They are a few plays hear or there from being a decent to good team.  If Bortles improves they are going to be a tough out.  Matter of fact there are no easy teams for a team like us.  Take the Minnesota, game from last year.  When we run the ball consistently , we blow teams out.  When we don't we either struggle or get blown out ourselves.

We are between a rock and a hard place. Of course Funchess needs the reps, but is it worth risking a nagging rookie-year injury (which, quite frankly, could be the case already)?  If the Panthers don't manage this injury, then they may be forced to do without Funchess until some time in October.  I say sit him.

If you think the Panthers would crush anyone in week 1 you havent been paying attention. 

rivera is known for his slow starts but we beat the bucs last season without cam . Jags are a similar team to the bucs and this time we will have cam . I cant see the jags competing with us

Archived