• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Broyles Released by Lions

Roebling

I'm not advocating doing nothing so I don't get that angle.

I am advocating not signing every WR off the scrap heap because maybe they're secretly bionic.  I am specifically advocating not signing *this* receiver off the scrap heap because *before* his leg problems he was an undersized receiver with average speed who had trouble in the following areas according to the scouting reports Google told me I should read: securing catches in space / when a CB presses him and he has to break away and get back into his route.  

He just wasn't all that good BEFORE he was constantly hurt.  

I WOULD like to add a receiver if one becomes available who might be at the end of a career who has shown consistency and reliability which we need.  I would also not be opposed to a trade for a known quantity higher quality receiver (yes picks - I know player for player trades are unheard of outside Madden).  I would not like to add a receiver who has potential but is average at best and has no NFL body of work to speak of.  Now is not the time to take a flier on every available body - we HAVE available bodies we can take a flier on who are pretty much in this guy's strata.

I get your point. And I'm not saying, "This guy is the answer." I liked him in college, I thought he had a good first season before going down, and the guy has some solid hands. I think getting someone at the end of their career is not what G-man is looking for. He just had a shot at Reggie Wayne. I think the problem those guys pose is that too many of them are not going to have the wheels we want at WR. We have Jericho, who is a solid possession WR with solid hands who can work the slot/middle. He did so with the Steelers and that's where he had his breakout year of 10 TD's. I think that's where we should try and play him. 

What we need is someone who has something better than the 4.7 wheels we are currently boasting, outside of Ginn and Brown, who can catch the ball and work some intermediate routes with more reliability. Right now, we have Olsen and Cotchery who are proven commodities. 

I also would love to trade for someone. Michael Floyd really tops out my list. He is someone the Cards, due to the emergence of John Brown, would view as expendable who is a solid talent. There were rumors of this sentiment earlier this offseason. I like him because when Benjamin does come back, it gives us a legitimate wide receiver who is also a burner on the field. It also lets Funchess play slot and the move TE position to create mismatches, the place where we really wanted him to play. Olsen, Floyd, Benjamin, Funchess as Cam's primary weapons would really be a potent offense. Everyone would be 6' 4" or taller with the exception of the speedster, Floyd. 

Thomas Davis had 3 ACL injuries. I thought a Panther's fan of all fans would recognize that pointing to a number of injuries as a definitive way of defining a player as short-sighted. It should be evaluated and taken into account, but I don't think saying "he has x injuries he is done" is valid. I think this is a player that might have stuck on the roster with ample receiving talent, but wanted out to try some place else. 

I think you bring him in for a workout and physical to check him out and see his explosiveness. If he passes the eye test, you bring him on for the week, see him in practice, work him all pre-season 4 game, and then decide if he is worth keeping. The market isn't exactly full of talented WR's at this point. They are FA's for a reason. This guy, at least partially, due to his own request. 

I think your reaction is legitimate and fair. I just think, at this point, you look at the potential. This guy was drafted in the second round as the #54 overall pick only 3 years ago. No receiver on this roster that is healthy (Funchess has missed two games and aggravated his hammy again), other than Ted Ginn, was even DRAFTED in the past 10 years. You say injuries sapped his potential. You haven't even seen him play once two years removed from those injuries. I'm not saying this guy is our savior and we must sign him, I'm saying, if he has some juice left, he would be one of the better options on the market. I say you explore that avenue. 

Yes sign him, I don't give a Fug. At this point I just want us to sign a WR just in general principle alone, that's how desperate we are at WR

And then as soon as Gettleman makes a near-costless move to bring in a WR both he and Proehl like, you whine about that too.

Thomas Davis had 3 ACL injuries. I thought a Panther's fan of all fans would recognize that pointing to a number of injuries as a definitive way of defining a player as short-sighted. It should be evaluated and taken into account, but I don't think saying "he has x injuries he is done" is valid. I think this is a player that might have stuck on the roster with ample receiving talent, but wanted out to try some place else. 

I think you bring him in for a workout and physical to check him out and see his explosiveness. If he passes the eye test, you bring him on for the week, see him in practice, work him all pre-season 4 game, and then decide if he is worth keeping. The market isn't exactly full of talented WR's at this point. They are FA's for a reason. This guy, at least partially, due to his own request. 

I think your reaction is legitimate and fair. I just think, at this point, you look at the potential. This guy was drafted in the second round as the #54 overall pick only 3 years ago. No receiver on this roster that is healthy (Funchess has missed two games and aggravated his hammy again), other than Ted Ginn, was even DRAFTED in the past 10 years. You say injuries sapped his potential. You haven't even seen him play once two years removed from those injuries. I'm not saying this guy is our savior and we must sign him, I'm saying, if he has some juice left, he would be one of the better options on the market. I say you explore that avenue. 

First of all Davis is the exception not the rule. He is the only player who has éver had 3 ACL surgeries on the same knee and returned to play at a high level.  For that matter I have had the ACL surgery on my right knee so I very familiar with the procedure and rehab.  Secondly Achilles injuries as a different thing all together. Beason and Godfrey both had Achilles surgery and it took years to even play and regain any of their speed or acceleration. I don't know of any player who has ever had multiple ACL  surgeries and Achilles surgery and played at a high level. So no it doesn't matter what his potential was before the surgeries, after them the potential is low and he has bust written all over him. Particularly this year and next. If he were to come back it will take at least 2 years or longer to see what he can do. We can't wait that long. 

First of all Davis is the exception not the rule. He is the only player who has éver had 3 ACL surgeries on the same knee and returned to play at a high level.  For that matter I have had the ACL surgery on my right knee so I very familiar with the procedure and rehab.  Secondly Achilles injuries as a different thing all together. Beason and Godfrey both had Achilles surgery and it took years to even play and regain any of their speed or acceleration. I don't know of any player who has ever had multiple ACL  surgeries and Achilles surgery and played at a high level. So no it doesn't matter what his potential was before the surgeries, after them the potential is low and he has bust written all over him. Particularly this year and next. If he were to come back it will take at least 2 years or longer to see what he can do. We can't wait that long. 

He's three years removed from his last ACL tear and two years removed from his Achilles tear.

He's three years removed from his last ACL tear and two years removed from his Achilles tear.

exactly. And exactly what has he done at this point to engender hope he could come in and play for us this year. If we wanted him down the road we can wait to see whether he has anything left and pick him up down the road. Whoever picks him up this year won't get their monies worth and have to be desperate. I can't se him being better than Boykin or other guys already on the roster. He will be lucky to even play again with any semblance of his prior speed and acceleration. It is bad enough for a player like a linemen to rehab from that kind of injury. But for a receiver who has to have speed and acceleration to do his job and certainly to be an upgrade for us, it is unlikely he will come all the way back. Certainly not enough to sign him to a contract. At this point we need a guy who can challenge for a starting position, not a project.

exactly. And exactly what has he done at this point to engender hope he could come in and play for us this year. If we wanted him down the road we can wait to see whether he has anything left and pick him up down the road. Whoever picks him up this year won't get their monies worth and have to be desperate. I can't se him being better than Boykin or other guys already on the roster. He will be lucky to even play again with any semblance of his prior speed and acceleration. It is bad enough for a player like a linemen to rehab from that kind of injury. But for a receiver who has to have speed and acceleration to do his job and certainly to be an upgrade for us, it is unlikely he will come all the way back. Certainly not enough to sign him to a contract. At this point we need a guy who can challenge for a starting position, not a project.

You are stating an assumption as if it is a fact...... You very well may be right, but I still think he's worth a call to bring in...... I also think you are vastly overrating the crew of fellas we have at wide receiver at this moment. We just traded a conditional seventh for the seventh WR of the Seahawks.... A team full of mediocre wide receivers. The truth is, you haven't seen enough of this guy to really back up your claims.

Archived