• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Broyles Released by Lions

Roebling

Ryan Broyles, a former 2012 second round pick, was just released by the Detroit Lions. He has had two ACL injuries and a torn Achilles. He is reported to have asked for his own release following a preseason in which he was not highly targeted. 

I say we give him a look. This guy was brimming with talent and it doesn't hurt. People may say these injuries sapped him of his ability to separate, but who really knows. I'm looking at a guy with three years of experience and as someone who asked for his own release because he knows what he is capable of. He wants to be in an environment where he can fight for targets. Carolina is definitely a place he can do that. 

I don't see how signing a broken down receiver is going to help us.  We do this every year - every time someone gets cut who plays a position where we're struggling people start talking about signing them...full speed ahead damn the man sign ALL the [insert position here].

To me this is the kind of move you make if you already have solid receivers and you want to see if you can add a weapon on the cheap (thus can absorb the hit if he ends up hurt or is simply terrible now).  It's the exact opposite of the kind of move you make if your receiver group is already weak and you're looking for someone to consistently contribute.  The team with an already weak receiver group has a much smaller margin for error and thus "it can't hurt" quickly becomes "not only can it hurt but it can be a total disaster".  

Roster spots aren't unlimited - there's a cost in at the very least someone else who could be in that spot for every "it can't hurt" guy that lands here.

I don't see how signing a broken down receiver is going to help us.  We do this every year - every time someone gets cut who plays a position where we're struggling people start talking about signing them...full speed ahead damn the man sign ALL the [insert position here].

To me this is the kind of move you make if you already have solid receivers and you want to see if you can add a weapon on the cheap (thus can absorb the hit if he ends up hurt or is simply terrible now).  It's the exact opposite of the kind of move you make if your receiver group is already weak and you're looking for someone to consistently contribute.  The team with an already weak receiver group has a much smaller margin for error and thus "it can't hurt" quickly becomes "not only can it hurt but it can be a total disaster".  

Roster spots aren't unlimited - there's a cost in at the very least someone else who could be in that spot for every "it can't hurt" guy that lands here.

We are in preseason. We have a few extra spots. We cut someone we know we aren't going to keep anyways, and bring him in for a week. See how he does. It's not like he gets guaranteed money.

And I disagree. When your receiver group is weak, you don't sit on your hands. You look and seek out ways to fix your problems. Not every input is going to be a solution, but if you don't at least try, it will never get better.

We are in preseason. We have a few extra spots. We cut someone we know we aren't going to keep anyways, and bring him in for a week. See how he does. It's not like he gets guaranteed money.
And I disagree. When your receiver group is weak, you don't sit on your hands. You look and seek out ways to fix your problems. Not every input is going to be a solution, but if you don't at least try, it will never get better.

I'm not advocating doing nothing so I don't get that angle.

I am advocating not signing every WR off the scrap heap because maybe they're secretly bionic.  I am specifically advocating not signing *this* receiver off the scrap heap because *before* his leg problems he was an undersized receiver with average speed who had trouble in the following areas according to the scouting reports Google told me I should read: securing catches in space / when a CB presses him and he has to break away and get back into his route.  

He just wasn't all that good BEFORE he was constantly hurt.  

I WOULD like to add a receiver if one becomes available who might be at the end of a career who has shown consistency and reliability which we need.  I would also not be opposed to a trade for a known quantity higher quality receiver (yes picks - I know player for player trades are unheard of outside Madden).  I would not like to add a receiver who has potential but is average at best and has no NFL body of work to speak of.  Now is not the time to take a flier on every available body - we HAVE available bodies we can take a flier on who are pretty much in this guy's strata.

Archived