• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A glance at how Kurt Coleman contributes to Carolina's defensive renaissance

PhillyB

usually free safeties do not cover running backs and leave the strong safety high. a versatile free safety dropping down there signals the strong possibility that he's covering the back, which he's capable of, while also maintaining the ability to drop back. harper might not be as good at this because his recovery speed is a little slower. tre boston isn't good enough against the run to sell it convincingly. coleman is good at both, and that's why he's being put down there.

if you re-read the original post you'll see i already outlined the scheme as a cover three that winston - if he did recognize zone coverage - probably thought was deep quarters. instead norman squatted in the zone and jumped the out route to the TE.

coleman is by no means they key to this play, but how he's utilized in this play is a nice example of how disguising coverage can lead to increased effectiveness of play calls, and kurt coleman's versatility allows him to be utilized effectively in disguises.

that's a shotgun formation, typical for pass plays unless for teams that run out of the read option, which I doubt Winston is doing. The only reason the RB is there is to help protect against a possible TD/Coleman blitz, the basics of forcing a quick release into trap coverage (Norman's waiting arms in this case). It's also an obvious pass play with the TE in the slot. 

So nothing in this suggests Coleman is coming to play the run disguising him as a strong safety. 

that's a shotgun formation, typical for pass plays unless for teams that run out of the read option, which I doubt Winston is doing. The only reason the RB is there is to help protect against a possible TD/Coleman blitz, the basics of forcing a quick release into trap coverage (Norman's waiting arms in this case). It's also an obvious pass play with the TE in the slot. 

So nothing in this suggests Coleman is coming to play the run disguising him as a strong safety. 

what exactly are you arguing against here? your entire first paragraph contradicts nothing i've said (except for the last part, which is wrong because the RB leaks upfield as a dump-off in the zone occupied by thomas davis.)

coleman's movement to the line is a common tactic for strong safeties, but not as common for free safeties, and when a free safety does it it usually signals man coverage. coleman doing it disguised the coverage, and the reason coleman was able to do it is because he's a versatile enough safety to play the pass and the run effectively and not give away the feint.

that's my entire argument and i'm not sure how you're missing it by such a wide margin.

Let's be real here: Coleman has some of the same weaknesses in Pass coverage that Mitchell had.  It's the reason why we've been seeing tre boston more in obvious passing situations.

this is anecdotal but i can't ever recall seeing him really out of position on passing plays, and i think PFF has him graded decently in pass defense (though i wouldn't go by that metric alone either.)

a breakdown of the snap division between coleman and boston would be useful.

what exactly are you arguing against here? your entire first paragraph contradicts nothing i've said (except for the last part, which is wrong because the RB leaks upfield as a dump-off in the zone occupied by thomas davis.)

coleman's movement to the line is a common tactic for strong safeties, but not as common for free safeties, and when a free safety does it it usually signals man coverage. coleman doing it disguised the coverage, and the reason coleman was able to do it is because he's a versatile enough safety to play the pass and the run effectively and not give away the feint.

that's my entire argument and i'm not sure how you're missing it by such a wide margin.

Yes a running back will go on their route when they wait and there is no blitz. In this case he is covered by TD not Coleman. Coleman is helping old man Tilman over the top. 

Coleman moving towards the line doesn't suddenly make him a strong safety because this isn't a run play. Free safeties blitz too if you don't know. 

this is anecdotal but i can't ever recall seeing him really out of position on passing plays, and i think PFF has him graded decently in pass defense (though i wouldn't go by that metric alone either.)

Well looking at the snap counts, I am dead wrong.  Coleman hasn't come off the field all damn year.  It's harper they're taking out.

• Pie 2

Yes a running back will go on their route when they wait and there is no blitz. In this case he is covered by TD not Coleman. Coleman is helping old man Tilman over the top. 

Coleman moving towards the line doesn't suddenly make him a strong safety because this isn't a run play. Free safeties blitz too if you don't know. 

who said anything about him becoming a strong safety? learn to read if you're going to be an arrogant prick

Yes, I thought I remembered that Coleman is the only player on our defense who's played 100% of snaps.

http://blackandbluereview.com/panthers-bucs-week-4-snap-counts/

How weird it is with Luke out....

Well looking at the snap counts, I am dead wrong.  Coleman hasn't come off the field all damn year.  It's harper they're taking out.

this makes sense. boston as better in pass coverage than harper, but boston is worse in run defense than he is better than coleman in pass defense.

#inception

where have you been? i'm trying to hit the serengeti next summer, possibly the kalihari if botswana is a viable detour

let's see....most of the southern and southeastern parks.

South Africa: Addo, Kruger

Mozambique: Limpopo, Gorongosa

Tanzania: Katavi

Malawi: Liwonde

Zambia: South Luangwa, Kafue

Zimbabwe: Mana Pools, Gonarezhau, Hwange, Zambezi

Botswana: Chobe, Moremi

Namibia: Caprive, Etosha

This June I backed out of a trip to the kalihari after some travel in South Africa. I regret it greatly now. Id love to get to the Northern parks in Tanzania. 

My favorites were South Luangwa and Mana Pools. Waking in your tent to hear hippos eating grass 2 ft from your head is terrifying. Hearing lions roaring at the same time is fun too. Seeing the lion tracks through your camp in the morning is something you wont forget. Hyenas whooping outside of camp is the craziest sound you will ever hear.

I really want to go back now.

• Pie 1

who said anything about him becoming a strong safety? learn to read if you're going to be an arrogant prick

When an argument gets into name calling i usually bounce.

It's obvious by the number of likes that people want to learn, unfortunately they have to swallow this false info you provided. Can't even recognize what is going on and I'm an arrogant prick? I had a lot of respect for u before this 

Deuces. 

let's see....most of the southern and southeastern parks.

South Africa: Addo, Kruger

Mozambique: Limpopo, Gorongosa

Tanzania: Katavi

Malawi: Liwonde

Zambia: South Luangwa, Kafue

Zimbabwe: Mana Pools, Gonarezhau, Hwange, Zambezi

Botswana: Chobe, Moremi

Namibia: Caprive, Etosha

This June I backed out of a trip to the kalihari after some travel in South Africa. I regret it greatly now. Id love to get to the Northern parks in Tanzania. 

My favorites were South Luangwa and Mana Pools. Waking in your tent to hear hippos eating grass 2 ft from your head is terrifying. Hearing lions roaring at the same time is fun too. Seeing the lion tracks through your camp in the morning is something you wont forget. Hyenas whooping outside of camp is the craziest sound you will ever hear.

I really want to go back now.

damn. how'd you end up doing so much of africa? just personal interest or what?

i'll be taking my 3-year-old, so i'll have to exercise a lot more caution than i ordinarily would and limit myself activity-wise, but it'll still be fun. south africa and tanzania are going to be the big spots, hopefully with lots of time in zanzibar. depending on scheduling i'd like to squeeze in either namibia/botswana or zimbabwe/zambia. i'm leaning towards the latter since victoria falls has always been high on my list and i could hit the zambezi as well.

namibia would be best served for its own trip anyway. i have some awesome poo planned for those desertscapes.

When an argument gets into name calling i usually bounce.

It's obvious by the number of likes that people want to learn, unfortunately they have to swallow this false info you provided. Can't even recognize what is going on and I'm an arrogant prick? I had a lot of respect for u before this 

Deuces. 

intentionally or otherwise you're building straw men and knocking them down very obnoxiously. dueces

damn. how'd you end up doing so much of africa? just personal interest or what?

i'll be taking my 3-year-old, so i'll have to exercise a lot more caution than i ordinarily would and limit myself activity-wise, but it'll still be fun. south africa and tanzania are going to be the big spots, hopefully with lots of time in zanzibar. depending on scheduling i'd like to squeeze in either namibia/botswana or zimbabwe/zambia. i'm leaning towards the latter since victoria falls has always been high on my list and i could hit the zambezi as well.

namibia would be best served for its own trip anyway. i have some awesome poo planned for those desertscapes.

In 2010 I took off to Europe with no clue where I would end up. I met some guys who had planned a year driving around Africa who needed another to join in. We purchased a Land Cruiser in Cape Town and spent a year doing a loop up to Kenya and back. It was the time of my life. We hit about every park we could. I missed a few as I had to come back for a month in the middle. I missed the Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda part.

It all just sort of happened and it was perfect.

Edited by csx
  • Pie 1