• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A nod to Ryan Delaire

Jmac

I highly suggest that everyone that agrees with Adb6368 go back & watch the game again or the defensive clips. No need for deep film study. And pay close attention to that small tangle of players in front of Wilson. Close attention! You will find Star (or Dwan Edwards) there. Star is what is called the 'space eater' & he is often double teamed. He puts up a wall at the front of the pocket & pushes it backwards. Every QB wants to step up to throw & he disrupts that. He's the cog that makes it possible for the other 3 on the line to make their terrific plays. He's the Ryan Kalil of the defense (yes our base is a 4-3 but he is our 'nose tackle' & we don't usually play vanilla D). Like Kalil, you won't hear his name often but he is always there. Wilson ran down the middle one time in the 1st qtr. ONE time. No one could ask for better play or production from the middle of your d-line. The announcers even said once in the 4th qtr that without Star playing as good as he is, none of the other players would be able to do what they do.

I do agree that Star's production goes mostly unnoticed which is a product of his position. I by no means am saying he is playing horrible. This could have more to do with the Pro bowl caliber year KK is having coupled with Star missing a few games. I just seem to remember prior to the foot injury Star constantly being in the backfield and moving the line back. Now he is holding his ground while KK is bull-rushing. When it comes down to it, I'm not sure we will have the cap room to resign both and KK is starting to look like someone we can't afford to let go. Again, this has everything to do with the stellar performance KK has been providing and maybe a little bit of overlooking how consistent Star has always been.

This topic probably should be in another thread but I think we can all agree that the Panthers are built to win when you have 2 stones on the D-line freeing up 2 (and soon to be 3) All-Pro caliber linebackers to go out there and make plays.

Regardless if he over pursued, he made russell step up in the pocket and try to pass and KK was there either sacking or blocking the pass.Its a team game. you want always get the sack but the pressure and result of the play is effective. Give the kid props and I think we have our Hardy 2.0. Jared Allen will return and split reps with Delaire but Allen is older so Delaire will see his share. As soon as CJ gets back I think his level of play will boost because we will have some threat coming from the opposite side. We just need to focus on our safety area. We get that together our defense will be incredible. Best Panthers defense ever IMO.

@ Adb6368, your comment seemed to me to be dissing him as if Star hadn't even shown up. Sorry if that's not what you meant, I can only read the words you typed.

It's also possible that the defensive scheme was changed to thwart film that they had on us or to better use everyone's skills or even to take advantage of what was seen on film of Seattle's o-line & Wilson's tendencies (hot damn, imagine that!). Or all 3. And I probably missed a reason or two. 

Any other QB would've been sacked 4-5 times and Delaire definitely would've gotten one..

Big play for Delaire was in the first Seahawks redzone possession after the INT where he forced Wilson to take his eyes off the WRs and scrambled into Luke for a two yard gain. 

Archived