• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting Cam stat I just saw on NFL Network

JawnyBlaze

15 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Going to have to disagree. I believe we shut our offense down in the 4th quarter when GB began to stage their come back. Cam's INT for instance on 3rd down, if we are going to throw the ball why not have more recievers running routes rather than just two? Why is the hot route an outside route to the far side of the field? We are notorious for letting teams back in the game because we shut our offense down. Its one of the reasons why we lost so many close games in Riveras first 2 years only difference is now we are closing them out.

And here I was under the impression that that INT was on 1st down. That kinda goes against your argument that we were trying to sit on the lead. Ginn Jr. was open, it was just a bad pass by Cam.

12 hours ago, Frizzy350 said:

I believe QBR is actually on a scale of 0-100.

The one that goes from 0-158.3 is Quarterback rating while QBR is actually called QBR.

Yea you're right. I shoulda typed out QB rating in my OP. I was just being lazy and not thinking about ESPN's QBR. I never think about it cuz it's the most useless fabricated stat there is. 

12 hours ago, KendrickPanther said:

I was being sarcastic. There are a million intricate reasons why Cam Newton's numbers are not flashy this year. Against the Eagles he checked into a Mike Tolbert stretch run that picked up 12 yards on 1st and 15. There is no statistic but it's damned good Quarterbacking. Kaepernick had played in 1 more game when that graphic came out and his team was 32nd in the league in scoring. Cam isn't going to put up big yardage when playing with a lead and short fields from defensive turnovers. Cam's interceptions are up this year but you could argue 6 of them were on the o-line or receivers tipping balls into the air. He engineered 4 80 yard drives in Seattle which was incredible. You see him making changes at the line of scrimmage that work really well. I've seen him move in the pocket rather than tuck the ball and run and he doesn't always end the play with a completion but it's still a great sign for his development. 

Last year I thought Cam really showed something in terms of heart and toughness and he had some very impressive throwing performances as well. This year you can really see maturity in his game. I'm not talking about towels and press conferences. I'm talking about pre snap reads, smart decisions with the football, running the offense in the no huddle and 2 minute drills. Touch passing and check downs. He's been incredible and the statistics hide that. Just an example, I think Cam had his worst performance of the season vs. the Packers. He hit some big plays to wide open receivers but he had accuracy issues throughout the game. He missed some wide open receivers or we might have put up 50. He won offensive player of the week for his 4 touchdowns but in my opinion he didn't play very well. If you watch the press conference, he wasn't impressed by himself either. That's a wall of text but I've just been blown away by the stuff I've seen him do even if the statistics don't bear it out. 

I thought you might have been, but I mainly pointed that info out just for general clarification.

Anyways, quality post and points made all around man. I agree with you.

12 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Yea you're right. I shoulda typed out QB rating in my OP. I was just being lazy and not thinking about ESPN's QBR. I never think about it cuz it's the most useless fabricated stat there is. 

I completely agree.  I get that certain people are too dumb or not think to lookup how the traditional QB Rating is calculated, so you want to give viewers a nice and easy 0-100 scale (hey! just like in Madden!) that is easy to digest.  It is however, a redundant yet manipulated stat that adds confusion by calling it QBR when the gold standard stat could easily be abbreviated to match just that.

On 11/13/2015, 12:21:47, lightsout said:

Easy to do. You take all read option plays, and you look at correct read rate. Each time Cam makes the right decision on the read, that's a positive. 0-100% scale. Take off percentages for wrong reads the same as pass attempts/completions. Not hard, just have to identify the concept by watching the film. Identify which end he is reading (usually the end on the same side as the RB, but not always), then go from there.

Sometimes a "zone read" actually just looks like a zone read, but its called as a direct give.

Without knowing the play call, how do you evaluate that play using your criteria above?

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Sometimes a "zone read" actually just looks like a zone read, but its called as a direct give.

Without knowing the play call, how do you evaluate that play using your criteria above?

The blocking. End man on the line is unblocked on zone read. If he gets blocked, it's a direct give. You can't leave him unblocked if the scheme is to give it by default, because he can crash down and stuff it easily 

Archived