• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

jerry richardson Succession Plan

Day_One

me and the company accountant just spent about an hour talking about it. (hes a big corp guy thats retired after 45 years in the business.)  im in texas so hes not sure of NC laws, but our general consensus is that its legal, its doable, and that the league couldnt stop it.   If they tried to, you would be getting into some pretty serious descriminatory stuff.  the league wants to know that the org isnt going to go broke.  hence the 1 owner owning a third of the team. so you would need the purchase price of the team, plus escrow equaling the salary cap.   

At the end of they day, if we came up with  the money, and that person that wanted to buy a third, i think public pressure would be huge to sell it to us.  The NFL would have a huge black eye if they denied it, and lots of lawsuits to boot.  JR's family make take a higher offer, but it would have to be considerably higher to avoid the public stigma

I say we do it.  All we need is a corporation to be set up and a bank willing to administer the trust, (and the big cat to tweak his will a bit) 

8 minutes ago, Hotsauce said:

Ever heard of a corporate takeover?

Ok, so let's assume "shares" of the Panthers go on sale.  What do you think rich guys like Magic Johnson who is on the forefront to bring the NFL to LA would do? Buy one share?  LOL. 

If the team was up for grabs like this, they would get bought out and relocate to London or LA so quick. 

that exactly what you want to happen.  thats how you get the big bucks in.  but the corporation can limit the manner in which funds are raised. 

21 minutes ago, Hotsauce said:

Ever heard of a corporate takeover?

Ok, so let's assume "shares" of the Panthers go on sale.  What do you think rich guys like Magic Johnson who is on the forefront to bring the NFL to LA would do? Buy one share?  LOL. 

If the team was up for grabs like this, they would get bought out and relocate to London or LA so quick. 

Magic's a front man, not a money guy as many believe. Trust me on that.

Plus, it's highly doubtful the Panthers will leave the Carolina's for various reasons. So relax, and enjoy you 12-0 season.

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Stephen Curry?  Are y'all serious?  How in the hell would a current NBA player be able to own and run an NFL team?  Not to mention $$$.  He has a $44M contract.  While that's a poo ton of money for sure, it's a far cry from the $1 BILLION it'll take to buy an NFL franchise.

True. But I would like to think that was a joke. LOL

2 hours ago, Hammerin'Cameron34 said:

Michael Jordan will buy the team when that time comes, and hopefully have his hand 0% in football operations 

2 hours ago, Hammerin'Cameron34 said:

Michael Jordan will buy the team when that time comes, and hopefully have his hand 0% in football operations 

I hope this doesnt come to fruition a  he is a horrible human being that has failed at managing in the only sport he was good at. 

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Stephen Curry?  Are y'all serious?  How in the hell would a current NBA player be able to own and run an NFL team?  Not to mention $$$.  He has a $44M contract.  While that's a poo ton of money for sure, it's a far cry from the $1 BILLION it'll take to buy an NFL franchise.

I wasn't serious in any way, shape or form, but if big cat lives 3-5 more years it's not out of the realm of possibility that Curry would have enough to be at least a minority owner in an NFL team. 

4 hours ago, Snake said:

The Panthers are tied to Charlotte anyway so the new owner can't move them. 

I think you are correct because state and local money went to pay for the renovations and stadium.  That's not to say a buyer couldn't reimburse government for what they paid and move the team, but that is not likely, in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, ThPantherFan said:

I think you are correct because state and local money went to pay for the renovations and stadium.  That's not to say a buyer couldn't reimburse government for what they paid and move the team, but that is not likely, in my opinion.

The team is only 'tethered' to CLT until 2020 or 2021, I think.  After that, the team can move, not that they will.  I think what scares people is the team is to be sold 2 years after JR dies.  His interest in the team is to be sold, but that doesn't mean the team will be sold.  There's an ownership group that has the other part of the team, all local to the Carolina's, that I don't see selling or moving the team. 

Charlotte is the fastest growing large city in the country.  On a larger scale, we are in two of the fastest growing states in the country and the number of households our games hit on any given week is among the highest in the league because we effectively own two entire states with a combined population of nearly 15 million. 

We have a group of fans that are just now for the first time starting to come into their prime earning years. This is the first generation that has been lifelong panther fans.

We have sold out nearly every game in team history and we have an excellent relationship in the community, both with fans and the corporate community.

We have a stadium that is owned by the team--meaning they get to keep all the concession and ticket revenue rather than splitting it or giving it to the city.

Nobody with any business sense would ever dream of moving this team out of the Charlotte area.

Archived