• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2015 Draft

UKPanther94

Remmers has started to get notice as being the weak link on the line, teams are beginning to attack that side and its working.  The past 2 weeks hes been beat badly, gave me flashbacks to Bell...Daryl should get a shot to rotate in if Remmers is struggling to see what he's got as he did look good early on.  This is no way me bashing Remmers, he's been average, but if we have a younger player with higher upside waiting behind him i hope the coaches arent going to just watch Cam get killed if things go bad.  I'm worried about how bad Seattle abused Remmers in the playoffs last year, we cant allow that to happen if we play them again.  

Funch was drafted to play the no. 2 behind KB going forward, and we were forced to play him in a starters role earlier than we had wanted to.  He will start next season, and will compliment KB well.

Shaq is playing behind, and learning from two of the best LB'ers in the past 30 years, he will start when TD hangs his cleats up, and it could be sooner depending on his development on the other side of Luke.

CAP will be a longtime RB 1/2.  I imagine that we will see a much more balanced carry rate moving forward after Stew leaves.

Mayo was drafted to take over for AJ, who will be leaving next offseason.

Just now, CCS said:

We've been spoiled by highly productive rookies over the last few years. People forget that it takes time to develop. Even Kuechly didn't come out of the gates swinging and I remember people branding him a bust.

You are correct, except for the Keek thing, he was playing the wrong position at first, he is certainly a MLB.

I think its safe to say that whatever Gettleman is doing is working. We tend to look at everything in a vacuum instead of seeing the whole forest. It's easy to nitpick about this pick and that pick.... but Gettleman's is the guy that everyone in the league is watching to determine how to rebuild a team. He drafted with the future in mind... almost like he knew we were going to be good this year. 

I've finally come to the point where I trust our people's ability to evaluate talent and plug in the right pieces... 

Because 15-1 is pretty dang good if you ask me. 

43 minutes ago, TheWiz said:

I've finally come to the point where I trust our people's ability to evaluate talent and plug in the right pieces... 

It's great how we can be 15-1 and have all these play off appearances (with hopefully wins starting to come) and then when spring rolls about be as excited for the draft as fans of teams picking top 5

I do find myself thinking about the draft from time to time.  I'm so thrilled it's just a thought now instead of some hardcore research =)

What's going to be fun to see is who Gettleman drafts and has the Huddle's collective underwear in their nuts!  Then they turn out to be a good player while who the board wanted ends up playing much worse!

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

I do find myself thinking about the draft from time to time.  I'm so thrilled it's just a thought now instead of some hardcore research =)

What's going to be fun to see is who Gettleman drafts and has the Huddle's collective underwear in their nuts!  Then they turn out to be a good player while who the board wanted ends up playing much worse!

Scooby Wright is the answer to your question.

It takes three years to fully evaluate a draft class, but this Panthers haul certainly missed the mark when it came to filling the team's biggest needs. Carolina did not commit a high-value pick to a huge area of concern: offensive tackle. Moreover, the team opted to take a projection player in Round 1 instead of a proven commodity. Although Shaq Thompson is a dynamic defender with a strong nose for the ball, there are big-time concerns about his ability to ward off blockers and take down physical runners. Devin Funchess is certainly a talented pass catcher with extraordinary size and range, but he lacks the twitch and explosiveness to run past defenders on vertical routes. Questions about his overall consistency and separation skills make him a potential "boom or bust" selection. GRADE: C-

lol

People that are worried about Funchess need to look around the league to see what other rookie WRs are doing. Last year's WR rookie class was a once in a generation class with stars coming out at the position. Looking at rookie receiving stats this year, Funchess is sitting in 8th in total yards behind Cooper, Diggs, Lockett, Crowder, DGB, Duke Johnson, and Parker. No one other that Cooper and Diggs really had a standout year (although Lockett did come on of late). Beyond Cooper and Diggs, I wouldn't trade Funchess for any of the other receivers topping him.

The whole point is, having a rookie play meaningful minutes and expect him to produce game-changing numbers is not realistic. I hate the cliche saying 'they need to have time before the game slows down' but, if any position needs this, it would be WR. The good news is he came from a pro-style offense at Michigan which was probably part of the reason he could get on the field to begin with. I'm excited for his potential and the flashes he has shown so far. I expect big things from him when KB comes back and when he gets a full offseason.

Archived