• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman: we only had one guy rated higher when we picked Bradberry, a defensive tackle

CatMan72

Looks like a ton of teams were high on Bradberry pre-draft, including Dallas, Seattle, Kansas City, Minnesota, and others.  Many of these teams have similar ideas to the Panthers as to what they prefer in an outside cornerback - at least 6' with long arms and elite athleticism.  Not necessarily 4.3 guys but good (4.5) speed, 6'0 or 6'1 with 32"+ arms, and elite overall athleticism.  That's where the SPARQ scores come into play.  Amongst CB's at least 6-foot, Bradberry had the #3 SPARC score and Worley was #6.  

The more I read about this kid's Senior Bowl and pre-draft buzz, the more I think he was definitely a great pick for us at #62.  Someone would have grabbed him before us in the 3rd.  Some of the teams listed above (Seattle, KC) have proven they also know what to look for when drafting good corners, so to see that they all had both Bradberry and Worley high on their boards is a good indication that we got some good ones.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/4/19/11446300/finding-the-superior-athlete-sparq-cornerbacks-in-the-nfl-draft

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/4/26/11506960/nfl-draft-prospects-seahawks-defensive-backs

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, Bartin said:

The real question I have is did the Saints steal Vonn Bell from us. We did have pre-draft visits with him.

8 hours ago, SOJA said:

now this is interesting ....the Saints obviously thought we were going to take Bell. Gettleman might have pulled a fast one on them making them panic and trade picks 

8 hours ago, ctrcat said:

Bell seemed like a safe pick but far more JAG than future star.

7 hours ago, Frank Hollywood said:

Do you think Gettlemen would actually admit if the Saints stole Bell from us?

Serious question, because I don't know.

After i saw name after name picked, it looked like Bell was the last name standing for the panthers. What' if I told you guys this stuff-( taking in account bradberry is playing CB and Bell is playing safety). Bradberry is taller by 2+ inches, longer arms, stronger(get to that later) and weights about 12 LBs more. Who should be listed as safety and corner, now?

Well what about the athletic times and numbers? That's very funny, cause it looks like Bell wanted a free vacation to Indy. While bradberry was busy doing all the combine drills, Bell was absent during all but bench-press..... Which they both did the same 16 reps, but given bradberrys arm length I'd say he is stronger. So did Bell have some sort of injury? He or his agent made it look like had one, so they opted not to do any drills. For some reason a "injury" popped up and he didn't compete against fellow DBs on a even playing ground. Maybe Bell needed allllllllllllllll that Ohio state talent in front of him to cover-up him being less athletic.

6 minutes ago, MV%doe said:

After i saw name after name picked, it looked like Bell was the last name standing for the panthers. What' if I told you guys this stuff-( taking in account bradberry is playing CB and Bell is playing safety). Bradberry is taller by 2+ inches, longer arms, stronger(get to that later) and weights about 12 LBs more. Who should be listed as safety and corner, now?

Well what about the athletic times and numbers? That's very funny, cause it looks like Bell wanted a free vacation to Indy. While bradberry was busy doing all the combine drills, Bell was absent during all but bench-press..... Which they both did the same 16 reps, but given bradberrys arm length I'd say he is stronger. So did Bell have some sort of injury? He or his agent made it look like had one, so they opted not to do any drills. For some reason a "injury" popped up and he didn't compete against fellow DBs on a even playing ground. Maybe Bell needed allllllllllllllll that Ohio state talent in front of him to cover-up him being less athletic.

Length is more important for a CB than a safety in my opinion so that wouldn't have concerned me about Bell. He's the exact same size as Kurt Coleman. Earl Thomas is about that size as well.

Not a fan of guys who sit out drills though without a legit injury. I like how the Bama guys come in with a large contingent every year and they all do every single drill because their coaches tell them to get their butts out there and compete to be the best.

6 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Length is more important for a CB than a safety in my opinion so that wouldn't have concerned me about Bell. He's the exact same size as Kurt Coleman. Earl Thomas is about that size as well.

Not a fan of guys who sit out drills though without a legit injury. I like how the Bama guys come in with a large contingent every year and they all do every single drill because their coaches tell them to get their butts out there and compete to be the best.

I want length everywhere- DEs, OTs, WRs, CBs, LBs hell I even want it at kicker!!! I love earl thomas as a player, but he's one small guy. If you're smaller than the punter or kicker, you got to be one beast of a player to make up for that.

I have no idea if he had a legit injury or if he was hiding form being exposed. He could have known his times where sssssslow. Then to protected his draft stock and fake a hammy/leg injury.

9 minutes ago, uscgamecocks said:

He freely admitted last year that the Cards stole Humphries from us, right?

He wasn't shy that their taking DJ (thank goodness) made the decision to take Shaq much easier.

40 minutes ago, MV%doe said:

I want length everywhere- DEs, OTs, WRs, CBs, LBs hell I even want it at kicker!!! I love earl thomas as a player, but he's one small guy. If you're smaller than the punter or kicker, you got to be one beast of a player to make up for that.

I have no idea if he had a legit injury or if he was hiding form being exposed. He could have known his times where sssssslow. Then to protected his draft stock and fake a hammy/leg injury.

Size is overrated a lot of time , look at Antonino Brown , OBJ , Bene , it's more about IQ, speed, skill set .etc  if you look at the the overall trend in NFL it's more about guys with athletic ability and usage of skill set in space . 

3 hours ago, Bartin said:

They also need to do whatever they can to overcome the impression that they've been over-used and worn down in college.

:P

On 5/6/2016 at 10:28 AM, MadHatter said:

After the fact, yes....I can believe they text.  The guys in the front offices of the NFL are a close bunch.  They talk all the time. 

I seriously doubt they would be texting about picks and players during the draft. That could telegraph moves in future rounds, which could give your rivals an advantage. 

Archived