• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So I'm officially directing and producing a feature-length Vietnam War film

PhillyB

On August 17, 2016 at 5:35 PM, PanthersBigD said:

I vote Michael C. Hall, or someone with a similar feel. Stephen Lang is great, but he's done the crazed military guy bit in Avatar, and I've heard he's been lobbying pretty hard for the role of Cable in the Deadpool sequel. Michael C. Hall's monotonic delivery would be very unsettling. 

Whatever you decide, best of luck! Happy to hear you're making it happen. 

I don't claim to know anything about making movies but what about Michael Shannon?  Dude can be downright frightening in his intensity. Plus he played Zod which would be a nice inside Huddle joke.

Good luck in your endeavor.

On 8/16/2016 at 10:57 PM, PhillyB said:

All the random Vietnam War posts have probably already hinted at it, but after months of preparation, I'm officially directing and producing a Vietnam War movie called Point Man.

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 10.38.39 PM.png

It's been a freaking crazy process. I started writing the script the day after I got fired from my old bartending job, completed it in a couple weeks, and quickly realized it was the best thing I'd ever written. My buddy Dan (a few of you guys have met him) vetted it and decided to sign on as my casting director (he's got extensive theater experience.) I laid the logistical foundation and then I put up a casting call, hoping to get a handful of interested participants... instead I was inundated with over 3,000 actors pitching reels and headshots trying to get into this thing.

Long story short, we finished live auditions in Sunday and we're moving into the funding phase. If anyone here is interested following a full-length feature film production centered on a search and destroy mission in the Mekong Delta circa 1968, check out the official Facebook page and our support platform! We've got an IMDB listing too. I'll need a ton of combat extras, so if you're good at dying on camera, volunteer Huddlers get preference for background roles :)

First shoot is September 27, just south of Atlanta. We're renting a Huey helicopter and flying it into a simulated hot LZ. This movie is going to kick so much ass.

664e36c9e9fa4c89fb387dc3cbc964a0_original.png

I AM NOT JEALOUS NOPE

11 minutes ago, ARSEN said:

Btw, how long is the movie and how do you plan on advertising it?  

i'm about a third of the way through storyboarding and i'm estimating just under two hours run time.

advertising is going to depend entirely on how well the finished product looks. if it's below my expectations for quality i'll adopt a much different strategy than i will if i feel like it's gonna get screened at sundance.

the main thing right now is getting it financed. i need just shy of $80,000 to do it properly. this is a ridiculously lofty goal (so i'm told) but this thing has blown expectations out of the water since its conception, from the 3,000 applicants to the 80 or so guys who packed out the doubletree last week for live auditions.

13907101_10102398195099841_6994377495644274757_n.jpg

13902598_10102398195010021_2684093278740445099_n.jpg

so funding is gonna be tough, but i'm optimistic. i have a couple guys who've pledged to kick chunks of hedge funds at it as an investment because the proof of concept is there and even though films are generally a terrible investment, landing the right one will pay off higher than just about any other investment you can find.

3 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

i'm about a third of the way through storyboarding and i'm estimating just under two hours run time.

advertising is going to depend entirely on how well the finished product looks. if it's below my expectations for quality i'll adopt a much different strategy than i will if i feel like it's gonna get screened at sundance.

the main thing right now is getting it financed. i need just shy of $80,000 to do it properly. this is a ridiculously lofty goal (so i'm told) but this thing has blown expectations out of the water since its conception, from the 3,000 applicants to the 80 or so guys who packed out the doubletree last week for live auditions.

13907101_10102398195099841_6994377495644274757_n.jpg

13902598_10102398195010021_2684093278740445099_n.jpg

so funding is gonna be tough, but i'm optimistic. i have a couple guys who've pledged to kick chunks of hedge funds at it as an investment because the proof of concept is there and even though films are generally a terrible investment, landing the right one will pay off higher than just about any other investment you can find.

Damn, what's your total budget?  around $150k?  Btw, the guy that made Platoon spend everything he had to the point where he was basically homeless.

2 minutes ago, ARSEN said:

Damn, what's your total budget?  around $150k?  Btw, the guy that made Platoon spend everything he had to the point where he was basically homeless.

if we get 80k we can make it, but we'd be cutting corners. i'm hoping to get another 20k in private funding and get a total of about 100k from investors and backers combined. it's scary just typing that.

i've already pitched a ton of my own money at this thing, mainly through assembling props and uniforms. i'm trying to avoid that as much as possible... self-funding a big production is a dangerous game.

1 minute ago, PhillyB said:

if we get 80k we can make it, but we'd be cutting corners. i'm hoping to get another 20k in private funding and get a total of about 100k from investors and backers combined. it's scary just typing that.

i've already pitched a ton of my own money at this thing, mainly through assembling props and uniforms. i'm trying to avoid that as much as possible... self-funding a big production is a dangerous game.

Yea, you will also need to push this movie thru when you make it.  Why did you decide to go with Vietnam war movie?

3 minutes ago, ARSEN said:

Yea, you will also need to push this movie thru when you make it.  Why did you decide to go with Vietnam war movie?

i've been trying to break into film since i was 15 and recording dumb martial arts movies with a crappy VHS handheld recorder. so i was ripe for doing something once i finally got grad school off my plate and a whole bunch of stuff just coalesced at once. i've had my nose in vietnam war primary source materials for the past couple of years, and once i conceived the storyline the script pretty much just wrote itself. i also knew the nature of the war would lend itself better to a smaller budget - i can do a film about a couple guys on search and destroy missions in closed-in jungle environments easier than, say, a WWII film or a civil war movie that would need big ranks of soldiers.

plus there's surprisingly few of them actually out there. which helps me out, it's a niche market with untapped potential. my goal is a netflix contract. if i get a netflix contract i'm buying PSLs.

Archived