• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

Datawire

17 minutes ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

Yes all religions are bad and kooky and crazy but Scientology is literally in a class of its own. 

2000 years from now, if humans are still around, it could be just as normal and accepted as any of the Abrahamic faiths.

2 hours ago, Bronn said:

2000 years from now, if humans are still around, it could be just as normal and accepted as any of the Abrahamic faiths.

It won't, and I freely admit most abrahamic faiths have dark pasts but have since reformed practices and teachings. Scientology on the other hand is rooted in just being a rip off and scamming people for millions, blackmailing them, beating them and killing them. 

And when you speak out against them they will find you and harrass you into silence. 

They harrassed and drowned the IRS in so many litigations they forced the government to grant them tax exempt status. 

Also other religions weren't founded by a failed science fiction writer who was actually insane and a liar looking to steal from people and not pay taxes.

i find it odd some people on this forum instantly want to bring up other religions when anyone ever talks about how crazy Scientology is. 

21 hours ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

It won't, and I freely admit most abrahamic faiths have dark pasts but have since reformed practices and teachings. Scientology on the other hand is rooted in just being a rip off and scamming people for millions, blackmailing them, beating them and killing them. 

And when you speak out against them they will find you and harrass you into silence. 

They harrassed and drowned the IRS in so many litigations they forced the government to grant them tax exempt status. 

Also other religions weren't founded by a failed science fiction writer who was actually insane and a liar looking to steal from people and not pay taxes.

i find it odd some people on this forum instantly want to bring up other religions when anyone ever talks about how crazy Scientology is. 

Scientology basically pulled a 20th century version of how the Catholic church treated guys like Galileo and Copernicus, not to mention their Index Librorum Prohibitorum of "publications deemed heretical, anti-clerical or lascivious, and therefore banned by the Catholic Church". I'm in no way condoning the actions or ideals of Scientology or claiming to be any kind of religious scholar, but the parallels and patterns are plain as day.

7 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Scientology basically pulled a 20th century version of how the Catholic church treated guys like Galileo and Copernicus, not to mention their Index Librorum Prohibitorum of "publications deemed heretical, anti-clerical or lascivious, and therefore banned by the Catholic Church". I'm in no way condoning the actions or ideals of Scientology or claiming to be any kind of religious scholar, but the parallels and patterns are plain as day.

You know what the difference is though? 400 years of human understanding and information. One happened in the 17th century. Then other was made up in the 70's. People should know better by now.

its funny how people will defend Scientology to bash on catholicism or  christianity. One has admitted flaws and faults then changed. One actually does good all across the world. The other will harrass you into silence for speaking out, black mail you, extort you, and maybe even kill you. Won't admit any faults and does no good for the world around them. And we aren't talking about a couple hundred years ago. We are talking about today in2016/2017. 

45 minutes ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

You know what the difference is though? 400 years of human understanding and information. One happened in the 17th century. Then other was made up in the 70's. People should know better by now.

its funny how people will defend Scientology to bash on catholicism or  christianity. One has admitted flaws and faults then changed. One actually does good all across the world. The other will harrass you into silence for speaking out, black mail you, extort you, and maybe even kill you. Won't admit any faults and does no good for the world around them. And we aren't talking about a couple hundred years ago. We are talking about today in2016/2017. 

I was not defending Scientology (thus my statement of "I'm in no way condoning the actions or ideals of Scientology"),  I was poking holes in the nonsensical assertion that Scientology is 'different' than other religions, ANY other religion, and citing an example from Christian history; there are plenty of other examples across all major religions. Historical time period is also irrelevant - many religions today, regardless of how long they've been around or how far either they or society in general have 'developed', continue to abuse influence to control narrative and/or the actions of their followers. To think otherwise is nothing short of naive.

I do feel that I'm a spiritual person but don't believe that, for numerous reasons, any one set of dogma is right and the rest are wrong. I agree wholeheartedly with your statement that people should know better by now.

24 minutes ago, KSpan said:

NI was not defending Scientology (thus my statement of "I'm in no way condoning the actions or ideals of Scientology"),  I was poking holes in the nonsensical assertion that Scientology is 'different' than other religions, ANY other religion, and citing an example from Christian history; there are plenty of other examples across all major religions. Historical time period is also irrelevant - many religions today, regardless of how long they've been around or how far either they or society in general have 'developed', continue to abuse influence to control narrative and/or the actions of their followers. To think otherwise is nothing short of naive.

I do feel that I'm a spiritual person but don't believe that, for numerous reasons, any one set of dogma is right and the rest are wrong. I agree wholeheartedly with your statement that people should know better by now.

Your statement is irrelevant. It's akin to talking about police killing black people by saying "I don't condone cops shooting black people but black on black crime" it's a means to distract and deflect from the topic at hand. The reason for the thread is Scientology. This isn't the first Scientology thread on here either. But it never fails for someone to bring up how christrinity is just as bad because of things the church did bad things hundreds of years ago. 

Time period and societal advancement isn't irrelevant. It gives context to how humans operated back then. In the example you cited early do you know what was still common practice back then? Slavery, rape, forced child marriage, etc. there was no science or medical understanding that was widely accepted to be true and proven. 

People didnt know or understand that the earth wasn't the center of the universe. It defied all previous held beliefs about our place in the world. 

Scientology on the other doesn't benefit from any of that. It's based on a failed science fiction writers rumblings in an attempt for him to avoid taxes. The argument was never that Scientology is a different religion from others just that it is in a whole other league of crazy and terribleness. In 2017 the fact that it is still around is troubling. 

1 hour ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

Your statement is irrelevant. It's akin to talking about police killing black people by saying "I don't condone cops shooting black people but black on black crime" it's a means to distract and deflect from the topic at hand. The reason for the thread is Scientology. This isn't the first Scientology thread on here either. But it never fails for someone to bring up how christrinity is just as bad because of things the church did bad things hundreds of years ago. 

Time period and societal advancement isn't irrelevant. It gives context to how humans operated back then. In the example you cited early do you know what was still common practice back then? Slavery, rape, forced child marriage, etc. there was no science or medical understanding that was widely accepted to be true and proven. 

People didnt know or understand that the earth wasn't the center of the universe. It defied all previous held beliefs about our place in the world. 

Scientology on the other doesn't benefit from any of that. It's based on a failed science fiction writers rumblings in an attempt for him to avoid taxes. The argument was never that Scientology is a different religion from others just that it is in a whole other league of crazy and terribleness. In 2017 the fact that it is still around is troubling. 

Time period and societal 'advancement' are absolutely irrelevant because the practice of condemning someone for thoughts and ideas that don't fit a dogmatic model (Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Scientologist, or any other religion) is just as alive and well today as it was back then, if only without the public death and torture. All religions continue to do dubious things in today's world, or another more accurate way to say it is that humans continue to do dubious things in the name of 'their' religion because it's the one that is 'right'. That's my point, and it's the point that you did not address and cannot refute. You're again focusing on Christianity (I assume because that's your chosen faith and what you know most about) but Christianity is only a single example - they're all flawed in the same fundamental way.

To stay somewhat on topic, people do some despicable things in the name of Scientology and I'm glad that it's being exposed. However, there are people isolated from the religion's misdeeds who truly (and perhaps naively) believe that it's benefited them and that it's good for the world... no different than people who follow any other religion. Religion is not required to be a good person or to do good things and association with any particular religion hardly means an automatic trust/level of goodness within people or any level of enlightenment. 

If you seriously think that Christianity isn't causing issues in the world today, you are crazy.   Maybe even more so.   The "war against the brown people" for instance.  

Scientology is definitely messed up, and while there is some good from Christianity, there is probably a lot more bad than Scientology because of the global scale of it.   

On 1/1/2017 at 3:45 PM, Zaximus said:

If you seriously think that Christianity isn't causing issues in the world today, you are crazy.   Maybe even more so.   The "war against the brown people" for instance.  

Scientology is definitely messed up, and while there is some good from Christianity, there is probably a lot more bad than Scientology because of the global scale of it.   

just one example: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/10/28/archdiocese-spend-against-marijuana-legalization/qtCwVY4ViWjRFwOvcyveeK/story.html

My wife had a marathon of these yesterday and I don't get why after the first episode people would watch it, unless they have a thing against Scientology they need to foster. We get it, it has some shady people running it and exploits its members. My friends were altar boys growing up and I don't hear about their exploitation.

Archived