• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moving back to South Carolina

sharkkiller

As some of you may or may not know, I have been living in the Dominican Republic for the past 6 years. Last year, I lost my job with one company, and was quickly hired by another company here. Both companies hired me through the US, so I never needed a work visa or residency. A few months ago, my position was eliminated at the new company, and since the immigration laws changed here, I have been unable to find work without either a work visa or residency. Both of these require me to go back to the US to start the process of obtaining said documents. My wife and I decided that I would go back home to Greenville, SC and get a job there. Call centers are always hiring there, and I have about 20 years of experience. I am confident that I can start at the bottom and work my way up quickly to management, or better yet, be hired directly into management, due to my experience. So I will be back within a couple of weeks in Panther Country. I cannot wait to be able to join the Roaring Riot tailgates and go back to the games. Having to watch them all online has been a pain. 

TL/DR: Due to job changes, OP is moving back to Greenville, SC in the near future. Wish me luck in the job search when I get back up there. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Best of luck to you! Sorry, you are going through all that. Let me know when you get settled in and want to get beat in a game of pool. 

(You are the expert pool player right? I think we played years ago didn't we? Old age is catching up to me.) 

Yeah, we played a few years ago. I will definitely let you know when everything gets settled. 

13 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

I dont know your circumstances but would resist being hell bent of SC as a landing spot.  There are some good things going on in NC and Ga for instance that would bring you back to the vicinity and give you a wider range of opportunities.

My family i in SC, my Mom is getting older, and I will be staying with her. She is having cataract surgery in March, so the timing is actually perfect. Also, I work in the call center industry, and Greenville is a hotbed of call centers. Being able to stay with Mom and save money so that I can pay the immigration fees to bring my family to the states is a great help. Greenville is growing while the rest of the state is falling behind. 

• 3 weeks later...

So today is the day. Honestly this is the hardest thing I have ever done. Having to leave my family for who knows how long while  the immigration process goes through, and not being able to hold my wife or my 5 year old is going to be tough. I know it is the best thing for us, and it will all work out, but damn it is hard. 

Archived