• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This Guy Should be the Pick at #8

XClown1986

15 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

So lets say no QBs are drafted top 10. Which in all likelihood, there won't be. And Jonathan Allen, Myles Garrett, Jamal Adams, Leonard Fournette, Marshon Lattimore, and Malik Hooker are all gone. Who are we left with? Reuben Foster (we aren't taking a WLB top 10), Mike Williams (Solid. But not much different than the guys we already have). Derek Barnett (slow twitch DE from the SEC? Color me concerned), or Corey Davis. Make no mistake, we are still very much a vertical passing team with power running schemes intermixed.

The pessimist in me keeps thinking the same thing.  I would include Howard and Charlton in that second group also.

24 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

So lets say no QBs are drafted top 10. Which in all likelihood, there won't be. And Jonathan Allen, Myles Garrett, Jamal Adams, Leonard Fournette, Marshon Lattimore, and Malik Hooker are all gone. Who are we left with? Reuben Foster (we aren't taking a WLB top 10), Mike Williams (Solid. But not much different than the guys we already have). Derek Barnett (slow twitch DE from the SEC? Color me concerned), or Corey Davis. Make no mistake, we are still very much a vertical passing team with power running schemes intermixed.

Concerned that Barnett is the only player in the history of the most successful college football conference to have double digit sacks in 3 straight seasons?

1 minute ago, Nails said:

Concerned that Barnett is the only player in the history of the most successful college football conference to have double digit sacks in 3 straight seasons?

For one modern example see Jarvis Jones. 28 sacks in his last two years of college. Flop as a pro.

I'm on the "Draft an offensive weapon" wagon. Don't care who it is, we need playmakers on the Offensive side of the ball. If we pick him, I'll be happy. If we pick Fournette, I'll be happy. If we pick Cook, I'll be happy.

Actually if we pick Allen, I'll be happy. If we pick Adams, I'll be happy. If we pick any of the other DEs near the top of the draft, I'll be happy. I don't really see myself getting upset about who we draft @8 because of who is going to be available. 

4 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I'm on the "Draft an offensive weapon" wagon. Don't care who it is, we need playmakers on the Offensive side of the ball. If we pick him, I'll be happy. If we pick Fournette, I'll be happy. If we pick Cook, I'll be happy.

Actually if we pick Allen, I'll be happy. If we pick Adams, I'll be happy. If we pick any of the other DEs near the top of the draft, I'll be happy. I don't really see myself getting upset about who we draft @8 because of who is going to be available. 

I do think that we need to be intelligent about our selection at 8. I know that the selection of players will be filled with talent, but finding a player that will be a cornerstone (goal of top 10 picks) is another thing entirely. Gettleman and his boys better do their due diligence plus some.

52 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

It works for the Patriots because of the system they run. Matt Cassel, Jimmy Garropolo, etc. have all had success in this system. They are no Tom Brady but they proved they could win and play well within the scheme. Brady has simply mastered the scheme. Our scheme is different. Longer route developments, route combinations, QB reads, vertical instead of horizontal. Like Peyton Manning. He needed weapons to make his scheme work. He ALWAYS had weapons to throw to. It was simply a different approach. Serviceable won't win us a championship. We need dynamic playmakers to get over the hump. I would argue that our defense is more focused on system and offense more focused on players. So therefore, we need to go get players.

I agree we need players but I would argue a top notch TE or RB are much bigger needs for our offense than another WR. If you take Cook for example you get the receiver for the slot and a back much in the mold of Freeman for Atlsnta.

And a 2 TE set much of the time diminishes the need for 3 and 4 receiver sets and no rookie is going to be starting over Benjamin or Funchess at this point.

Just now, panthers55 said:

I agree we need players but I would argue a top notch TE or RB are much bigger needs for our offense than another WR. If you take Cook for example you get the receiver for the slot and a back much in the mold of Freeman for Atlsnta.

And a 2 TE set much of the time diminishes the need for 3 and 4 receiver sets and no rookie is going to be starting over Benjamin or Funchess at this point.

I liked the idea of Cook until I saw that he had connections with some bad influences. I figure Jerry would put a stop to that pick. I LOVE OJ Howard. I really do. He might be one of my favorite players in the entire draft this year. However, TEs normally don't go high in the draft. If he runs a 4.5 or lower at the combine, all bets are off where he goes though.

7 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

I liked the idea of Cook until I saw that he had connections with some bad influences. I figure Jerry would put a stop to that pick. I LOVE OJ Howard. I really do. He might be one of my favorite players in the entire draft this year. However, TEs normally don't go high in the draft. If he runs a 4.5 or lower at the combine, all bets are off where he goes though.

you would have to do your homework with Cook like we did with Cam before taking him in the first. The thing I know about tight ends is that some are worth a first rounder. Frankly I was on the Olsen bandwagon when he came out and was ecstatic when we got him for a third rounder.

With Gettleman it is hard to predict which way he goes but I definitely agree we need more playmakers on offense.

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Just for the sake of discussion, what if Davis can fill a role that we don't have right now, that of a speed receiver that is also a big receiver.  I wonder how that would change our offense?  Our receivers right now seem to be really role defined.  I'll be curious to see what kind of 40 he runs.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Just for the sake of discussion, what if Davis can fill a role that we don't have right now, that of a speed receiver that is also a big receiver.  I wonder how that would change our offense?  Our receivers right now seem to be really role defined.  I'll be curious to see what kind of 40 he runs.

Tell me he is the next Julio Jones and I am in......

24 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

For one modern example see Jarvis Jones. 28 sacks in his last two years of college. Flop as a pro.

Horrible example.  A 4-3 DE vs a 3-4 OLB.  The SEC produces more players, more quality players, and more defensive linemen than any league, obviously.  Tennessee itself has produced multiple HOFers including the best defensive lineman of all time, two of the most prized FA's last year (Robert Ayers and Malik Jackson-who helped prevent us from winning a Super Bowl), Shane Burton (who helped us go to our first Super Bowl), etc. etc. etc.  Barnett is as safe a pick as exists.

Archived