• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cap savings IF we cut Stewart, Gano, and Dickson

panther4life

5 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Lee was literally the only guy on our entire 53 man squad that made me go "wow, this guy is really good" this past year. You cannot let Stew go unless you know for a fact that you are drafting a starting NFL rb in the draft.

Where would  you rank Stewart among NFL running backs? He's not that good anymore and that's the brutal truth. You guys are so concerned about replacing an average talent who is aging and at best will give us one last season. We have to replace him sooner than later regardless of what happens this year. Saving 4.75 million will make replacing him much easier than holding onto him at a cost of 8.2 million this year.

Stewart:

Don't see the point when we are 50 mill under the cap and he is valuable contributor.  I understand the reasoning, but unless I am 100% positive we have someone that can carry the load (..i know I know.. injuries), then I don't see why at this point. 

Gano:

Almost the same, he missed some big ones.. made some big ones.. We at least can attempt a 50 yarder with him.   Unless someone better, don't see a need. 

Dickson: 

Can be replaced with better/cheaper .  Agree

Lee:

Why the $%R$% woudl we cut Lee?  For the games he was healthy he might have been our best player on the field this year.  Plus we gave up a 4th round pick for him.  This makes 0 sense.   ZERO.  (unless he is injured and can't play). 

Oher: 

I really don't like casting aspersions on a man's toughness.  I'll just say he gives off bad vibes. 

1 minute ago, SCP said:

Cap schmap.  The Saints stay $100 million over the cap but keep signing dudes.  The cap is all bullshit.

And they've been 7-9 and 4 of the last 5 years because of it. That's more 7-9 seasons than Jeff Fisher ever had, which is an accomplishment. 

I think we restructure stew and release dickson.

I hope we keep Lee. He was our MVP until he got hurt, which is sad, but he's a really damn good punter. 

1 minute ago, panther4life said:

Where would  you rank Stewart among NFL running backs? He's not that good anymore and that's the brutal truth. You guys are so concerned about replacing an average talent who is aging and at best will give us one last season. We have to replace him sooner than later regardless of what happens this year. Saving 4.75 million will make replacing him much easier than holding onto him at a cost of 8.2 million this year.

Is Stewart not good or our Oline not good?  Deangelo Williams looks great behind the Pittsburgh line.  Our run blocking scheme etc.. is not very good tbh.   Hasn't been good since the days of Double trouble, Cam has masked a lot of our faults. 

And they've been 7-9 and 4 of the last 5 years because of it. That's more 7-9 seasons than Jeff Fisher ever had, which is an accomplishment. 

I think we restructure stew and release dickson.

I hope we keep Lee. He was our MVP until he got hurt, which is sad, but he's a really damn good punter. 

Not saying what they do works, just saying the salary cap is BS that can be manipulated any way a team wants if it wants to make things work.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

3 minutes ago, Udogg said:

Is Stewart not good or our Oline not good?  Deangelo Williams looks great behind the Pittsburgh line.  Our run blocking scheme etc.. is not very good tbh.   Hasn't been good since the days of Double trouble, Cam has masked a lot of our faults. 

If you blame him or the o-line his production is what it is. And his production can not justify a cap hit of 8.2MM when we can save almost 60% of it by cutting him.

7 minutes ago, Udogg said:

different run blocking schemes. Williams is a great zone read runner, he's terrible out of the shotgun like we run damn near everything in our offense. 

Also he got fat and complacent with his giant contract so he stopped trying as hard then shed 15 lbs when he got cut and went to pittsburg.

Our run scheme was great in 15 when we made the super bowl, it was damn near unpredictable with the threat of Cam running every play, but was neutered this past year due to injuries across the line and not wanting Cam to run for some reason. 

3 minutes ago, panther4life said:

If you blame him or the o-line his production is what it is. And his production can not justify a cap hit of 8.2MM when we can save almost 60% of it by cutting him.

So we save 5 million and still need someone to replace him?  I don't see why.  Especially with a cap hit of 2.5 mill next year.  If we were tight also know as in a Hurney situation.. then yes, Just don't see the need. 

Archived