• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is it Possible that Burton and Thomas may be just what we need

panthers55

P.S. I got on a roll with my response and now realize it's really OT.

Here's the bottom line: The Tampa 2 defense is TOTALLY DEPENDANT on being able to get pressure with just 4 defensive lineman. Both Burton and Thomas are run stuffers not 3-technique guys, so they will help stop the run but they won't help getting pressure on the QB and that's what we need to the most to make this Tampa 2 thing work.

Last week against Dallas, we resorted to blitzing our LB's which is not Tampa-2 and look what happened... we shut Dallas's offense down for a little while. If we can start getting pressure and these guys can stuff the run then we're in good shape, but it all hinges on being able to get pressure on the QB or we will continue to be picked apart.

We have no pass rush. The secondary has never been full of stalwarts. If we can't get to the QB with 4, Fox's D is completely full of epic fail.

Our blitzing schemes are pretty crappy, but even when they do work, Fox pulls off the dogs in the 2nd half because he doesn't want to get burned.

I'm sorry but this defense is bad, and I'm not sure it's going to get a whole lot better this season... as the coaching is going to remain the same.

heading into to that season the secondary was recieving some hype and Carolina was talked heavily about in regards to there back 7 being the strength of the defense......

I agree 100% about the front 4.

i think the people who are still calling this a "bend, but don't break" defense are morons.

it is officially now a "bend, but please don't break" defense. get with it.

Rayzor, I have enjoyed your posts and debating with you. However, any fan who would either put a bag over their head...or in your case put a bag over the Panther in your sig is an embarassment to this franchise. You are lowering yourself to the depths of Saints fans....and we all know that is an abyss from which there is little return.

Be frustrated with the performance, but don't kill the bag.

Any actual big body on the d line is a good thing. Remember Saraguisa (sp?) for the ravens? He didn't get pressure much, but he's so friggin fat he could plug up a hole just standing there. Like that gilbert brown character for the packers. Same thing.

Big bodies on the d line = good thing.

If you take away the pick six Jake threw in the fourth quarter, the defense played significantly better against Dallas. With a better run defense buoyed by a better line rotation and an offense that actually moves the ball and doesn't leave the defense out on the field all day, we will look much better against Washington.

I was actually pretty happy with the first half defensive performance outside of our safety play and failure to clamp down on Witten. We actually got pressure and looked decent against the pass. Ongoing issues? Lack of run stopping up the gut and none of the DEs can hold the edge or stay at home in run defense. Teams who need a few yards just toss the ball on a sweep for 10 or 15 yards gains. And Peppers is the biggest culprit. Frankly Brayton looked much better than he did against Dallas. With Hollis and Burton I expect a better effort up the middlebut don't know what to do about the edge play. Any DE in pop warner knows your job is to turn the run inside and protect against the reverse. The least you can do is string the play out until help arrives. We have failed miserably at that.

P.S. I got on a roll with my response and now realize it's really OT.

Here's the bottom line: The Tampa 2 defense is TOTALLY DEPENDANT on being able to get pressure with just 4 defensive lineman. Both Burton and Thomas are run stuffers not 3-technique guys, so they will help stop the run but they won't help getting pressure on the QB and that's what we need to the most to make this Tampa 2 thing work.

Last week against Dallas, we resorted to blitzing our LB's which is not Tampa-2 and look what happened... we shut Dallas's offense down for a little while. If we can start getting pressure and these guys can stuff the run then we're in good shape, but it all hinges on being able to get pressure on the QB or we will continue to be picked apart.

I hate to break it to you, but every form of 4-3 defense there is depends on getting pressure from their front 4. If you have to blitz all the time to get to the QB, you're in trouble. Of course, teams like the Eagles and Giants call a lot of blitzes, but they also have good enough pass rushers in their front 4 that the blitzes can be effective.

I know right now things suck and the defensive line is in shambles. Still with 2 weeks practice it is possible that Thomas could make up for Kemo's loss and shore up the run game. With Burton providing backup for Lewis at the 3 technique we might actually iimprove. While that won't help our poor safety play and poor tackling, it will solve at least one glaring problem. With more confidence in the line perhaps it will allow the linebackers to worry about covering the running backs and TEs instead of getting mowed over by lineman and fullbacks busting through our swiss cheese line.................

Then again....

NAH. We suck and the sky is falling!!!!!:hurray:

LOL...you had me goin there for a minute.... we need those guys like Cher needed Sonny and Oprah needs Steadman....

Archived