• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Cam Newton Isn't Accurate." Is That Really True? A Quick Look At Why Shula Is To Blame, And The Offense

Saca312

51 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Again, I'm accounting for what Earl Thomas is about to do if Cam threw it to the slot.

Earl Thomas would get there easy, and he wouldn't have stepped back as far as he did. Cam Newton throws some laser darts, but that's gonna be real hard when you're likely having an all-pro safety all over you. 

As I said, I account for what the defense will likely do based on the situation. That would not have looked that open when Earl Thomas reads he's not throwing it to Kelvin Benjamin.

The only thing Thomas can do is pop the WR coming across after the catch. 

Unless he can teleport or Cam throws a bad pass that aint getting picked. 

Do you not understand the ball being in that window right when he makes his cut?

Thomas is like 10 yards away at that exact moment. 

4 minutes ago, PrimeTimeHeel said:

Do you not understand the ball being in that window right when he makes his cut?

Would take an awful ton of precision, and Thomas cut when he was Cam aim for KB.

Like I said, would've been a different look had Cam thrown to the slot.

4 hours ago, PrimeTimeHeel said:

You are grossly underestimating the speed of Earl Thomas if you think the moment Cams arm cocked back he wouldn't have made that a tightly contested ball. I dunno about picked, its very much possible. But against Thomas that's not a window. He routinely closes those gaps no problem.

That all said this was a late game third down with little to no chance of us coming back iirc. I have no problems with Can hurling it up to KB there, its what we brought him in for.

12 minutes ago, Rags said:

You are grossly underestimating the speed of Earl Thomas if you think the moment Cams arm cocked back he wouldn't have made that a tightly contested ball. I dunno about picked, its very much possible. But against Thomas that's not a window. He routinely closes those gaps no problem.

That all said this was a late game third down with little to no chance of us coming back iirc. I have no problems with Can hurling it up to KB there, its what we brought him in for.

It's no where remotely close to the speed of a football being thrown.

Flabbergasted by the insane exaggeration and rationalizing you guys are doing to try and discredit a basic skinny post route that breaks in between the zones. 

I could understand if there was a DB sitting underneath the route or a DB who was within 5 yards or so. 

The DB is about 10 yards away. No way in hell he is getting there on a well-timed anticipation through with some mustard on it. 

The moment the WR clears the 2 DBs at the 20 yard line and cuts the ball should be arriving. At that second the DB who guys think could pick it is 10 yards or more away. Huge amount of green space in the middle of the field. 

I despise Shula prob more than anyone on this forum, but he had a decent route combo here. I'd prob have one more deep route on the field to pull that DB horizontal from the skinny post. 

Cam has to work on making better reads, anticipating throws/windows, and improving his footwork. 

As well as Shula improving his situational play calling. 

On 5/8/2017 at 10:41 PM, Saca312 said:

For all you Shula defenders, this finally convince you he's the reason Cam Newton may never reach his full potential?

Not his fault for having 2 of the slowest WRs at gaining separation. What do you want Shula to do? Not throw the ball?

This is why DG went for speed this year. Its DG fault for overlooking speed as a factor in his players. None of our guys are really speed people except Ginn. I don't know why but Ginn wasn't used as much this year. Maybe old age finally is getting to him and that's why we let him go 

Not his fault for having 2 of the slowest WRs at gaining separation. What do you want Shula to do? Not throw the ball?
This is why DG went for speed this year. Its DG fault for overlooking speed as a factor in his players. None of our guys are really speed people except Ginn. I don't know why but Ginn wasn't used as much this year. Maybe old age finally is getting to him and that's why we let him go 

Yep. DG overlooked speed...except having one of the fastest guys in the NFL on the roster the past 2 years.
The o line was decimated by injuries. Period. That's why Cam didn't have time to get it downfield. It must just make you guys feel better to blame someone.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

On 5/9/2017 at 7:01 PM, Saca312 said:

The tweet from the 11-15yd area?

Sample size is all of 2016. 

He has an in-depth analysis on every QB in the NFL here:

http://presnapreads.com/2017/04/29/pre-snap-reads-quarterback-catalogue-2017-19-99/

Not paying  to read this guy. Does he explain how he got his numbers? Cause Either ESPN or this guy are horribly wrong. ESPN splits don't have an 11-15 yard breakdown, but Espn has Cam at 68.6% accuracy behind the LOS, 57.8% on passes from 1-10 yards from LOS, 48% from 11-20 yards- no way that adds up to 73% in the 11-15 yard range. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/13994/cam-newton

11 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Not paying  to read this guy. Does he explain how he got his numbers? Cause Either ESPN or this guy are horribly wrong. ESPN splits don't have an 11-15 yard breakdown, but Espn has Cam at 68.6% accuracy behind the LOS, 57.8% on passes from 1-10 yards from LOS, 48% from 11-20 yards- no way that adds up to 73% in the 11-15 yard range. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/13994/cam-newton

He explains it here:

http://presnapreads.com/2017/04/29/pre-snap-reads-quarterback-catalogue-2017-19-99/

Accuracy percentage is now broken down to every level of the field and created receptions were added to account for the positive plays receivers made, offsetting the negative sides that come in failed receptions.

Basically, he analyzes every pass and looks to see which ones were the fault of the QB, or the receiver when accounting for that statistic.

Just now, Saca312 said:

He explains it here:

Basically, he analyzes every pass and looks to see which ones were the fault of the QB, or the receiver when accounting for that statistic.

Problem with that is, unless he's a mind reader, he doesn't know if the QB threw where he meant to or if the WR/pass catcher ran the wrong route. It may also be that, if the QB had lead the WR more, would have been a catch, but since the QB threw it where it was a contested catch, he ruled that the WR could have caught it, so it goes against the WR when it should really go against the QB. Who should have caught what is incredibly subjective.

Would also point out that he is selling QB stats, so he may be severely biased in favor of QBs. Willing to bet you bought his stats because of the 73% tweet.

Perfectly willing to concede it's hardly all Cam's fault, but the man, esp. last year after the rotator cuff injury, was just not that accurate on short passes.

Archived