• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All-22 Film: Reviewing Newton's 2016 Season Deep Throws

Saca312

On 5/26/2017 at 11:55 AM, falconidae said:

Cam has the problem that many cannon armed QBs have. They never learned to throw a guy open. One of the reasons there's no separation is that Cam frequently  throws to where the receiver is, gives the DB a chance to make up ground.

I can't argue much that you said. And this what I quoted is something I hope we can improve on. Too often if a throw is just even slightly behind or above or low, it slows down the receiver and prevents yac. Whereas a common complaint here is our receivers have separation issues, which I think is overblown and this concept is too often overlooked. While our receivers have not been good at creating separation consistently, I think a similar problem lies in ball placement. That matters in a game of inches.

3 hours ago, Peppers90 NC said:

I can't argue much that you said. And this what I quoted is something I hope we can improve on. Too often if a throw is just even slightly behind or above or low, it slows down the receiver and prevents yac. Whereas a common complaint here is our receivers have separation issues, which I think is overblown and this concept is too often overlooked. While our receivers have not been good at creating separation consistently, I think a similar problem lies in ball placement. That matters in a game of inches.

Overblown.  In other words, something that has been statistically measured?  Fug that, lets just ignore that.

That's "overblown".

lol

You know what the primary key to "throwing a guy open" is?

The receiver GETTING OPEN.

For you and Mr. Falcon claiming that Cam has NEVER "throw(n) a guy open" is one of the most preposterous claims I've ever heard.  I know damn well he's "thrown" Olsen "open" plenty of times.  That's because Olsen has (get this now) THE ABILITY TO GET OPEN.

I don't know how many times it has to be repeated and quoted that Cam measurably has to throw into the tightest windows and least receiver separation than ANY quarterback in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769130/article/cam-newton-leads-nfls-top10-most-aggressive-qbs

"No starting quarterback threw into tight windows more than Cam Newton in 2016, as 24.9 percent of his pass attempts went to a receiver who had less than one yard of separation. 

What this stat provides us is a reminder that few quarterbacks operate in an environment that creates a higher degree of difficulty. The Panthers offensive design requires Newton to hit high-degree of difficulty passes both deep and outside the numbers. Even his 20.3 tight window percentage on passes that traveled fewer than 10 yards in the air trailed only the Rams' quarterbacks. "

And, believe it or not, that "tight window" problem didn't just suddenly appear in 2016... its been a regular feature of Shula's offense and Cam's receivers since Shula took over the offense.

So you want' Cam to "throw guys open"?  Try this:

Talk to his wide receivers, the wide receivers coach, and his offensive coordinator.

Fix that and maybe you'll get what you want.  Then maybe you'll feel less tendency to agree with any poo mud that some rando Falcon idiot slaps up against the wall hoping that you'll believe it.

Oh, and please do explain to me, Mr. Rando Falcon and Sycophant, how Cam in the gif below didn't "throw" Ed Dickson "open".

VXf4UJ.gif

But according to Mr. Rando Falcon and Sycophant, Cam has "never" done that.

He just "can't" do it, I guess.

Edit: Oh, lookie there, it was AGAINST THE FALCONS.

On 5/27/2017 at 3:54 PM, tiger7_88 said:

Overblown.  In other words, something that has been statistically measured?  Fug that, lets just ignore that.

That's "overblown".

lol

You know what the primary key to "throwing a guy open" is?

The receiver GETTING OPEN.

For you and Mr. Falcon claiming that Cam has NEVER "throw(n) a guy open" is one of the most preposterous claims I've ever heard.  I know damn well he's "thrown" Olsen "open" plenty of times.  That's because Olsen has (get this now) THE ABILITY TO GET OPEN.

I don't know how many times it has to be repeated and quoted that Cam measurably has to throw into the tightest windows and least receiver separation than ANY quarterback in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769130/article/cam-newton-leads-nfls-top10-most-aggressive-qbs

"No starting quarterback threw into tight windows more than Cam Newton in 2016, as 24.9 percent of his pass attempts went to a receiver who had less than one yard of separation. 

What this stat provides us is a reminder that few quarterbacks operate in an environment that creates a higher degree of difficulty. The Panthers offensive design requires Newton to hit high-degree of difficulty passes both deep and outside the numbers. Even his 20.3 tight window percentage on passes that traveled fewer than 10 yards in the air trailed only the Rams' quarterbacks. "

And, believe it or not, that "tight window" problem didn't just suddenly appear in 2016... its been a regular feature of Shula's offense and Cam's receivers since Shula took over the offense.

So you want' Cam to "throw guys open"?  Try this:

Talk to his wide receivers, the wide receivers coach, and his offensive coordinator.

Fix that and maybe you'll get what you want.  Then maybe you'll feel less tendency to agree with any poo mud that some rando Falcon idiot slaps up against the wall hoping that you'll believe it.

Yeah, should have said doesn't consistently throws guys open. 

Thing is, you're not giving Cam any blame for those tight windows, and he deserves some of it. If I had all-22, I could show you multiple times that Cam passed up on an easier, shorter completions to go long.  On several of the gifs in this thread, you can see shorter, easier throws that Cam passes up for the longer throws.

On 5/27/2017 at 6:44 PM, Saca312 said:

@falconidae @tiger7_88 

Cam Newton obviously forced his WR to not get separation here.

592620d734788_CamNewton5.gif.06e77bb21c8de6a370e6d4cb20b8aac2.gif

Oh and right here his WR was miles ahead of the corner before Cam threw.

59262101f0c8a_CamNewton6.gif.c6d5c3c28c7faf636c7a243488e9c1a4.gif

And of course Cam forces his wide receivers to slow down when they get separation because he is a terrible passer, amirite?

592639388ab34_CamNewton21.gif.f3b80a727916f5a611471cbeaddd6255.gif

Jeez Cam is so bad.

Here, for example, on two of these three gifs, Cam has a short outlet pass available, can't tell on the third one. One of the reasons he always has difficult throws is he chooses them. He thinks with his arm, he can make them work.

So, yeah,, OLine, WRs, OC, HC also play a part, but absolving Cam of all blame is mistaken.

Once again, not going derp derp Cam sucks here, in another thread here, have him as a top 10 QB, just think that he contributes to the problem of no separation more than some want to admit.

3 minutes ago, falconidae said:

So, yeah,, OLine, WRs, OC, HC also play a part, but absolving Cam of all blame is mistaken.

Here's the thing, I didn't say that Cam was never at fault.

"Never" is the word that YOU chose to use.

P.S. Guess what? Even your quarterback sometimes fails to make the proper throw to "throw a guy open".  QBs miss throws.  Its part of the game.  So many moving parts going on on the field, its an absolute certainty that *every* QB is going to miss a throw they "should have" made.  Even the Mighty Brady.

5 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Here's the thing, I didn't say that Cam was never at fault.

"Never" is the word that YOU chose to use.

P.S. Guess what? Even your quarterback sometimes fails to make the proper throw to "throw a guy open".  QBs miss throws.  Its part of the game.  So many moving parts going on on the field, its an absolute certainty that *every* QB is going to miss a throw they "should have" made.  Even the Mighty Brady.

Already admitted i was wrong saying that, what I meant to write was he never learned to do it in college and makes it much easier to fall back into old habits in the pros. Was going back and edit that before I posted the thread and just forgot.

And yes, every QB is going to be inaccurate at times, Cam is more inaccurate than the other top ten QBs, He just is, that's not his game,  didn't see anyone complaining about in 15. He makes up for it in other ways.

And, no offense meant, didn't see a whole lot of Cam blaming in your post, actually, didn't see any. It was all someone else's fault.

Cam has more difficult throws than many QBs because he frequently passes up easy throws for more difficult ones.

28 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Cam has more difficult throws than many QBs because he frequently passes up easy throws for more difficult ones.

You understand the Shula scheme involves our offense to go for the difficult throws nearly every play to work, right? There are very few easy throws in most of our playcalls due to the nature of the scheme.

@Jeremy Igo even mentioned how very little Cam would take short passes or anything easy at all during training camp in 2016, and how every play was long-developing or requiring a high degree of difficulty in throw.

I sure hope you understand that Cam isn't the one choosing to make his life hard.

3 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

You understand the Shula scheme involves our offense to go for the difficult throws nearly every play to work, right? There are very few easy throws in most of our playcalls due to the nature of the scheme.

@Jeremy Igo even mentioned how very little Cam would take short passes or anything easy at all during training camp in 2016, and how every play was long-developing or requiring a high degree of difficulty in throw.

I sure hope you understand that Cam isn't the one choosing to make his life hard.

So, Cam isn't allow to check down at all? I mean, the first gif you showed in this thread is one of him checking down, right?

So Jeremy is saying that Cam had easier options that he didn't take? Or they weren't there? Sorry, but it's a really stupid offense that has nothing but long developing plays with no checkdowns in it.

And, many times, Cam is the one making his life more difficult. Go back to the first post, look at those gifs, many of them have an outlet pass/easier throw available. He, in fact, does make his life harder. He doesn't go for the checkdown, he goes for the longer , harder throw.

Cam makes some beautiful throws. He also can make some awful throws.

It's not just his receivers that cause him to throw at ~50% completion over entire seasons.

I love Cam to death and I think this was a terrific and insightful post by OP, but I've watched every single snap of his career and he makes unbelievable plays, but sometimes bonehead plays too. 

But great job OP. 

Archived