• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Damiere Byrd vs Kaelin Clay?

MurkN

Damiere Byrd vs Kaelin Clay  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have if we can't keep both?

I have to go with Byrd. He has made things happen this preseason. Gets good separation and has made some tough catches. Not only does he have speed but runs crisp routes. I know people said he has disappeared in games 2and 3 but look at the QB production. None of the wide receivers could showcase their skill in those games. 

I still like Clay and his effort on special teams but Byrd more as a WR. 

If we don't keep six receivers I have no faith in this staff's talent evaluation. 

I'd personally take Klay over Shepard, if special teams is really his calling card (coverage unit) but IMO as a receiver this is of little interest to me. IMO Shepard had zero impact this pre-season, and yeah Anderson sucked it up for two of the main games so I get it, however Byrd, as well as Clay seem to have knacks for making plays. 

The jury is still out on Shep. 

Let me type this slowly for the Clay fans over Byrd.

Clay played 3rd/4th stringers game 2 and 3 with a Gilbert that has outplayed DA.

Byrd played 1st/2nd stringers game 2 and 3 with a DA that poo'd the bed this preseason. Byrd was a decoy for KB to be free if you paid any attention at all for the 2nd preseason game.

Clay has more shake, no deny but he does not have that respect me speed like Byrd. Both have not made huge impacts on special teams, a few ooohs and aaahs but overall our special teams has and will forever suck. If you do not believe me, Ted Ginn Jr could not even make a huge impact. Special teams is not our speciality. Deion Sanders, Devin Hester, Steve Smith in their prime could not prevent our Special Teams from not sucking. We have Ted Williams to block in the back for us.

Byrd runs better routes, not even close. Byrd gets better separation. Byrd has better hands. I want a burner with reliable hands hmmm Byrd > Clay. Clay faster than Byrd hahahahahahahahaha mkay.

Byrd against 2nd stringers lit-up Texans with Webb. Second game DA was horrible and the 3rd marginally better. 4th game is scrub game and see who else has juice. He has already proved enough. He has worked hard and has that I am ready for primetime swag.

But with all this said, Clay over Bersin, Shep, and DF. I like me some speed. Speed will allow Cam to feast and help our Oline out.

I voted Clay. I like Byrd and can appreciate the improvement he has shown, but I don't think he will ever be a guy that has any level of consistency. Clay has had multiple games this preseason where he flashed in both the return game and on offense. As a matter of fact, Mose Frazier was more consistent than Byrd. The thing about the 5th or 6th receiver is we need a guy that can fill a role and do it when called upon. Byrd could be a superstar like in Game 1, but then disappear or have mental hiccups for 3 straight. We can't have that. 

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

He has been pretty solid when given the opportunity. His returns are superior to Byrd's.

The fact is, Byrd simply feasted on a Texans CB who played horrific defense.

Not that I don't like Byrd, but I suspect that if Clay got equal opportunities, he would have made more happen.

Capture.PNG.25186141f3dbff94c55e685d91b2995d.PNG

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?lg=NFL&yr=2017&type=pre&mode=PR&conf=NFC&limit=25

and Byrd has been slight better at Kickoffs, so special teams are neutral.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?lg=NFL&yr=2017&type=pre&mode=KR&conf=NFC&limit=25

3 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Clay is a much better returner and he's better in space as a WR. He had three guys on him on one catch and he still got about 4-5 extra yards. Byrd simply can't do that no matter how much you coach him.

So check out the preseason return stats above then get back at me.

8 minutes ago, ecu88 said:

So check out the preseason return stats above then get back at me.

I don't care about the stats. I care about what he  made out of the hand he was dealt and Clay was much better at making guys miss. He can work on his hands and his route running but you can't coach shiftiness. You either have it or you don't.

Byrd.  I like Clay too.  Ideally both will find their way onto the 53, but I've been impressed with Byrd's combination of speed, routes and it was good on him to hang onto the TD pass last night after taking a pretty solid hit.  That TD wouldn't have existed without Clay's beautiful TD being called back so it is what it is.  You really can make a case for either but my preference is Young Fly Byrd.  

Archived