• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A different view of the 6 sacks on Cam Newton

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Shepard knocked down , would have been a good option. 

Kalil beaten. Looked like he was relying on CMC for a little help. '

No one else close to being open. 

giphy.gif

I actually think Cam could have lobbed this right to Mccaffrey if Cam just takes another step backwards instead of doing his little spin move.  Would have been off the back foot which would likely have not have been a great pass but an incompletion is better than a sack and an injured ankle.  I think a lob to CMC and then he has space to run.  

2 minutes ago, CarolinaNut said:

I actually think Cam could have lobbed this right to Mccaffrey if Cam just takes another step backwards instead of doing his little spin move.  Would have been off the back foot which would likely have not have been a great pass but an incompletion is better than a sack and an injured ankle.  I think a lob to CMC and then he has space to run.  

I honestly don't blame Cam on that one. Shula put him in a difficult position. 

Makes you wonder why we just didn't have CMC split out wide so he could have gotten open quicker. 

2 minutes ago, CarolinaNut said:

he got open pretty quick though.  I'm not putting this one on Shula.  

Watch the pressure. CMC had his back to him. IDK how you can expect him to make that play.

I get it. It's always Cam's fault. Not the failure of an OC which has decades of poor game planning. 

Cam has GOT to start taking what the fuging defense is giving him!! Hit McCaffrey 10 fuging times a game in the flats and out of the backfield. Stop fuging calling plays that take 5 seconds to develop when your o line can't hold for 3 fuging seconds!!!! It's not rocket science!!! I'm starting to really look at Cam as the guy who needs to change the most. He has to somehow stop looking for the 25 yard pass every fuging time, and take the layups, move the chains.

Honestly, I think having Chud as OC his first years really ingrained, or amplified a bad quality in Cam, in that he's always looking to push push push down the field, but the margin for error is so damn small, and Cam has questionable accuracy, so we're behind the 8 ball from jump. 

23 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

Not to mention you need to have a hot route to throw one. Most of those plays didn't have one. 

Exactly... I can't think of a team in the league that doesn't have a hot route pretty much built into every play, most teams rely on the wr's and backs anticipation of pressure and reading it the same as the qb does, but not us, backs aren't even looking for the ball on blitz plays, nor are the wr's... meaning they aren't even coached for it smh, been learning that poo out here in Vegas since middle school

4 minutes ago, brandon_87 said:

Exactly... I can't think of a team in the league that doesn't have a hot route pretty much built into every play, most teams rely on the wr's and backs anticipation of pressure and reading it the same as the qb does, but not us, backs aren't even looking for the ball on blitz plays, nor are the wr's... meaning they aren't even coached for it smh, been learning that poo out here in Vegas since middle school

People aren't differentiating between a hot route and a check down. A hot route gets open quickly almost immediately in case of pressure or the play breaking down (eg the out routes on play 3 and 5 ... see how quickly receivers get their heads turned around for those). A check down is the last in a series of reads if others are covered (eg CMC on play 6 which took 3-4 seconds to develop). 

14 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

Watch the pressure. CMC had his back to him. IDK how you can expect him to make that play.

I get it. It's always Cam's fault. Not the failure of an OC which has decades of poor game planning. 

It's called anticipation and touch.  If Cam takes one more step backwards it buys him the second needed to get CMC to his spot to make the catch.  Sometimes QB's throw the ball in anticipation.  This is the NFL you can't wait for every WR to be turned around looking directly at you before you throw.  Sometimes you have to put touch on the ball to a certain spot.  I'm not a Cam hater this is just my opinion on this particular play.  Shula is awful i agree.

Cam checked down quite a bit against SF and needs to continue to look for the check down. Cams biggest problem is he is always looking for a 20+ yard completion. Dump it to CMC and let him do his thing. 

I do think it is dumb play design to run verticals that close to the goal line. There is not much field to work with and takes a long time to develop. Shula can send a couple receivers deep but he needs a medium route and check down, ala Samuel and CMC to run after catch. 

Same ole shizz from last year and it is on Shula and Cam. 

Just now, CarolinaNut said:

It's called anticipation and touch.  If Cam takes one more step backwards it buys him the second needed to get CMC to his spot to make the catch.  Sometimes QB's throw the ball in anticipation.  This is the NFL you can't wait for every WR to be turned around looking directly at you before you throw.  Sometimes you have to put touch on the ball to a certain spot.  I'm not a Cam hater this is just my opinion on this particular play.  Shula is awful i agree.

Look you can expect Cam at best to make a miracle play (CMC was not ready in time) or Kalil to literally make contact with the pass rusher. 

Archived