• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Got a job offer..

bLACKpANTHER

I live in the DC, Northern VA area. Friday I received an offer from Booz Allen for about $15K more than what I currently make.
I like where I currently am at and like the people I work with a lot - but I'm a contractor and don't get sick time, etc. I receive a halfway decent benefits package but Booz benefits rock.

If I were making specific business decision it would be Booz - there's more room for growth and ability to get higher clearances, etc. But the commute is gunna be longer, I don't know the people I'd be working with - even though they sounded aiight over the phone. I just am really happy with the work I do and the people I work with. The commute is nice (for the DC area) and I'm able to be home by 4:30- 4:45 with the family.

I let my job know Friday before I left for the weekend that an offer had been made to me and I would hope for a counter offer. I will wait and see but - Am I being a dummy for not jumping ship and grabbing the money/benefits/everything??

Ideally, my current employer would bring me on as an employee and give me more $$$. That would make things so easy for me - but we are kinda in a freeze because we are in the midst of launching rockets and new satellites that are fuggin outta this world. It's crazy. My boss said she appreciated me telling her and said she would fight to keep me but doesn't know what "the powers that be" would allow her to do.

So again I ask - grab the cash or side with my heart??

Thanks for the replies....

Have you figured in cost of living expenses? I would think living in the Charlotte area would be cheaper than the DC/Northern VA  area so that $15k raise might actually be more like $20-25k. If you have time look into housing costs, gas, food etc. Might make the choice easier. Good luck with your decision.

Archived