• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Isn’t Christian McCaffrey Panning Out?

SgtJoo

Protection is one issue, both in the run and the pass—Carolina’s offensive line has been problematic at best, which has prevented Cam Newton from throwing downfield with any measure of consistency. There’s a feast-or-famine element to Carolina’s aerial assault, and it’s put McCaffrey in the more traditional role of escape hatch as opposed to a cog his coaches could use creatively. McCaffrey has the skills to be used as Alvin Kamara is in New Orleans and Kareem Hunt in Kansas City, but those teams block well enough to allow enough time for that creativity.

As an open-field runner, McCaffrey does match speed and power well enough for his 5'11", 202-pound frame—he has caused six missed tackles as a runner and nine as a receiver, per Pro Football Focus. But he has no runs of 15 yards or more on the season, and when you take a running back eighth overall, you want more than that. Hunt, for example, has 10 runs of 15 yards or more for 233 total yards, and he was selected in the third round.

Most of McCaffrey’s carries come out of the shotgun, and he’s running a lot of straight dive and wham plays without much creativity. This is a function of the poor offensive line play—McCaffrey often has to deal with more than one defender in the backfield as he’s taking the ball—and that poor blocking also eliminates the success of slower-developing plays like draws and counters that would allow McCaffrey to use his field vision and acceleration. When offensive coordinator Mike Shula designs plays with extra blockers at the edge of the formation and Newton pitching out to let McCaffrey get around defensive ends and linebackers, you can see the potential for bigger plays.

Since Carolina’s line isn’t up to protecting McCaffrey as a traditional power back would prefer, the Panthers have to stop treating him like one. Shula and his staff must find more creative ways to get their first-round pick free in open space, where he can utilize the talents they drafted him for.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2740157-nfl1000-week-7-notebook-why-isnt-christian-mccaffrey-panning-out?

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

According to the Huddle talent scouts he's a bust.  These guys just can't execute Shula's genius scheme.

I see a square peg being pounded into a round hole.  But what do I know?

The main huddle talent scout posted right before you. But I get accused of being the negative one on here

Hmmm... let’s see... maybe our coaching staff isn’t good enough to be coaching in the pee-wee leagues???

When you want to draft a talent like CMC you have to believe that you either have others on the offense who can help him utilize his skills or you put pieces around him that will. 

Trying to make CMC fit into the scheme Shula and Ron have created is like using a sledge hammer to take lug nuts off a tire. What you end up with ain’t gonna look pretty.

18 minutes ago, SgtJoo said:

Shula and his staff must find more creative ways to get their first-round pick free in open space, where he can utilize the talents they drafted him for.

And that's exactly why many people did not want to Draft McCaffrey.  A lot of them thought Shula would use him wrong.  Well, those people are being proven right.  

1 minute ago, JakeDel5674 said:

And that's exactly why many people did not want to Draft McCaffrey.  A lot of them thought Shula would use him wrong.  Well, those people are being proven right.  

Exactly, but that doesn't make him a bust.  The "bust" are the coaches.

Just now, JakeDel5674 said:

I hate to tell you, but, he's going to be a bust because of our Coaches.  Simple as that.  

I hate to tell you but being misused does not equal a bust.  It is a waste of talent, i.e. Cam.  The kid does the best he can under the circumstances.

Just now, Jon Snow said:

I hate to tell you but being misused does not equal a bust.  It is a waste of talent, i.e. Cam.  The kid does the best he can under the circumstances.

I gotcha, but, he's going to be a bust because he's misused is what I'm saying.  Same as Cam.  Cam has everything to be one of the All-Time greats, but because of this AWFUL Coaching staff, he will not be that.  

people continue to try to figure out why things that aren't the problem....are the problem. 

Example.  How many threads have been dedicated to Cam and CMC not being good enough.  REALITY - they aren't the problem. 

How many people totally dismiss the fact we lack the WR talent to open up the offense.....and simply say you can scheme out of it or solve it with a RB/WR rookie that never even filled that role in college.  2017 = 2014.  Why the offense isn't working is simple.   We lack speed at WR.....and opposing defenses play the run as a result and the 3 routes Kev/Fun run well with no fear that anyone can beat them over the top.  So they play our WRs one on one knowing it takes X amount of time for them to get open on non-big play threatening routes.   Exact same thing occured in 2014.  Couldn't run....and couldn't make plays downfield.  Offense imploded and Cam took a beating.   

We need speed at WR and better OT play. That immediately transforms the offense. 

Archived