• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We are number 1 in time of possession, it’s good and bad

GoobyPls

9 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Hey Mike!  Welcome to the huddle!

You don't have to look far for proof...

Just check last season's numbers for first and second down play call balance and 3rd down efficiency. 

Huddler's carp relentlessly on how Shula is always "run, run, pass". 

Hilariously, Shula is exactly the opposite. He consistently ranks as one of the most unpredictable play callers in terms of run/pass balance in the entire NFL. 

Show us you actually care about reality rather than bull poo opinion and give us the 2016 numbers on 1st and 2nd down run/pass ratio...you can do it...Google is at your fingertips...

1 minute ago, Chairman Wow said:

You don't have to look far for proof...

Just check last season's numbers for first and second down play call balance and 3rd down efficiency. 

Huddler's carp relentlessly on how Shula is always "run, run, pass". 

Hilariously, Shula is exactly the opposite. He consistently ranks as one of the most unpredictable play callers in terms of run/pass balance in the entire NFL. 

Show us you actually care about reality rather than bull poo opinion and give us the 2016 numbers on 1st and 2nd down run/pass ratio...you can do it...Google is at your fingertips...

Seems to me that Cam deserves the lion share of credit for consistently picking up first downs on third on longs in obvious pass situations.  He bails Shula out constantly here.  Not sure how you can Shula credit for consistently calling plays that lead to little to no gain leaving us starting at third and long.

4 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Its bad - Our offense can never get in rhythm, we snap the ball with one second left which helps the opposing defense know the snap count and can also lead to delay of game.

I doubt this is something only the Panthers do and it's really isn't going to impact TOP rankings across the league. 

The real negative would be if there's a correlation between TOP and lack of big plays.

2 minutes ago, ShutDwn said:

I doubt this is something only the Panthers do and it's really isn't going to impact TOP rankings across the league. 

The real negative would be if there's a correlation between TOP and lack of big plays.

You doubt the panthers only what?

One of the reason our offense struggling is cause of the slow play.

1 hour ago, Chairman Wow said:

We lead the league in time of possession primarily because we are 4th in total first downs and 5th in 3rd down conversion percentage despite being 21st in total offense. 

Laugh all you want, but year in and year out Mike Shula is quite possibly the most unpredictable play caller in the entire NFL. He knows how to move the chains. He knows Panther Football.

And he is particularly good on 3rd down.

Don't believe me? Do a little research...

Lol Shula isn't getting credit for Cam miraculously converting 3rd downs over and over.  A lot of those conversions are Cam scrambles.  "3rd and long, no one open, pressure from all sides... Cam leaves the pocket and scrambles for the 1st.  Wow, nice play call Shula!"  If it's not a scramble then he threads the needle downfield.

Also, Shula is one the main reasons for all of those 3rd down situations in the first place with his dumbass calls on 1st and 2nd down.  I swear, I wouldn't be surprised if over half of our 1st and 2nd down plays this year were either a loss, no gain, or minimal gain for 1-2 yards.

I’m mostly all for T.O.P. to keep the ball out of the hands of the opposing team, but it was so darn frustrating in the Bears game. We’re wasting 8 minutes or so on these long-a&$ drives just to end in zero points...we were limiting our opportunities to score just to keep the ball away from their completely inept offense. We dominated T.O.P. just to put up 3 points and ultimately lose by 2 TDs...how often does that happen? It didn’t make any sense to have such a painstakingly slow offense in those circumstances.

you don't get points for time of possession

focusing on that naturally reduces the plays you run on offense, which gives you fewer chances to pick up yards and score points. and that doesn't even go into the intra play problems it causes wrt audibling, identifying defenses through movement, trying to catch them off guard, hard counting, letting them know exactly when to rush, etc. 

like you can control the clock by being a really good offense that teams can't stop, or you can do it just through playstyle and try to keep the other team under 10 points and give yourself literally no room for error

which do you think carolina is

10 minutes ago, Chairman Wow said:

Hoo boy...

No correlation between Time of Possession and Wins and Losses???

This year from 1st to 10th in NFL Time of Possession:

1. CAR 6-3

2. PHI 8-1

3. JAX 5-3

4. Pit 6-2

5. DEN 3-5

6.NO  6-2

7. MIN 6-2

8. DET 4-4

9. NE 6-2

10. DAL 5-3

teams with their offenses on the field more tend to win more? Thanks for this, groudbreaking stuff

and lol you only need a high first down percentage if you're always in third down. 

its like spending 15 million dollars on craig kimbrel. hey how about you just don't find yourself in a lot of 3 run games in the ninth.

1 minute ago, electro's horse said:

teams with their offenses on the field more tend to win more? Thanks for this, groudbreaking stuff

and lol you only need a high first down percentage if you're always in third down. 

its like spending 15 million dollars on craig kimbrel. hey how about you just don't find yourself in a lot of 3 run games in the ninth.

Time Of Possession MEANS YOUR OFFENSE IS ON THE FIELD MORE THAN THE OTHER GUYS, Eisnstein. It also means your are almost always running more plays than the other guys.

Ask Alabama and Atlanta how trailing in Time of Possession affected their championship hopes last year. 

Incidentally, 3rd down conversion percentage is EVEN MORE STRONGLY CORRELATED to wins and losses than is Time Of Possession. 

But since I posted this very recently, I won't be redundant. 

29 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

Greg Olsen!

As great as it will be to have him back, I don't think he fixes our red zone woes. Historically he isn't much of a red zone target. He's never had more than 7 TDs in a season with us and that was in 2015 when we could do no wrong. 

It'll be great to have him open up the middle of the field and finding holes in the zone between the 20's, but redzone is where this offense and Shula tend to fail. 

8 minutes ago, Chairman Wow said:

Time Of Possession MEANS YOUR OFFENSE IS ON THE FIELD MORE THAN THE OTHER GUYS, Eisnstein. It also means your are almost always running more plays than the other guys.

Ask Alabama and Atlanta how trailing in Time of Possession affected their championship hopes last year. 

Incidentally, 3rd down conversion percentage is EVEN MORE STRONGLY CORRELATED to wins and losses than is Time Of Possession. 

But since I posted this very recently, I won't be redundant. 

If you're going to try to insult my intelligence don't misspell Einstein. The little red squiggly line isn't congratulatory.

Time of possession should be the byproduct of a good offense, not the end goal. The Panthers obviously prioritize it, and they're a bottom third offense. Do you think the LA Rams care about their TOP when they're the top scoring team in the league? Absolutely not. 

Being able to convert on third down is the sign of a good offense, no poo. Playing to get to third down and converting (like Shula and the Panthers do) is completely nonsensical. If you can avoid third down, fuging do it. Do you think Belichick, or Reid, or hell apparently Sean McVay are worried about keeping their offenses in third and manageable? 

You've read some very obvious things and are trying to shoehorn their significance into a team where they have none. The Panthers are running a completely outdated model of offense. Just because they excel in one or two metrics that aren't PPG, doesn't mean those metrics are individually determinant. 

As far as Atlanta and Alabama, probably better for Atlanta to not have thrown the ball in the fourth quarter. And Alabama probably shouldn't have fired their offensive coordinator the week before and replaced him with an alcoholic. 

Archived