• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Football Dying? (nothing to do with ratings or over saturation)

Jangler

Emmy Award-winning sports anchor Bob Costas said that football “destroys people’s brains” and will slowly vanish from American life if safety concerns are left unchecked.

“[Evidence of brain trauma] leads you to the common sense conclusion that you shouldn’t play tackle football at all until you’re 18-years-old at a minimum,” he said at a symposium of sports journalists at the University of Maryland on Tuesday night.

“But then where is the talent pool for college football? The whole thing can collapse like a house of cards if people actually begin connecting the dots.”

At the center of the issue is not only chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, but also the NFL’s well-documented reluctance to confront the issue. CTE is a degenerative neurological disorder caused by repeated head trauma, with symptoms including early onset amnesia, depression, and loss of consciousness. The disease was first connected to the NFL in 2002 by Dr. Bennet Omalu, a forensic pathologist who discovered CTE in the brain of former Pittsburgh Steelers’ center Mike Webster after he committed suicide.

Since then, multiple studies have only strengthened the medical connection between CTE and playing football. A recent study of 202 football players’ brains found that 88 percent of the late NFL players suffered from, a degenerative neurological disease caused by multiple head traumas. Of the 111 brains examined, 110 of them had CTE.

Echoing Costas’ concerns, ESPN’s Tony Kornheiser said football risked facing a similar fate as that of boxing, which has declined in popularity in recent years.

“It’s not going to happen this year, and it’s not going to happen in five years or 10 years," Kornheiser said. "But Bob is right: At some point, the cultural wheel turns just a little bit, almost imperceptibly, and parents say, ‘I don’t want my kids to play.’ If they don’t find a way to make it safe…the game's not going to be around.”

sorry for Trump if you watch. :Eggplant_Emoji_Icon_42x42:

http://www.newsweek.com/nfl-concussions-bob-costas-health-football-players-705638

Little League Baseball enrollment is up, Soccer and Lacrosse is rising in popularity. Hell, even kickball is becoming a thing...

Is Football Dying?

Unfortunately, I think so.  I coach a youth team in a small county league, consisting of 6 teams.  Nearly every team over the past few years has struggled to get a 20 player roster, and 1 team only had 12 this past season.  When I played in the league 25-30 years ago most teams had 30+ kids.  

It’s going to be a slow, agonizing death, but unless some real changes are made it’s on the way out.

The average NFL player salary is  $1.9mil and the end of the day, football is a job. None of the players play for our entertainment alone. 

I'm not sure why people don't understand that no one is forced to play football. I think NFL should just go ahead and declare that playing tackle football will 100% impact your brain health and all the reasons why playing football is dangerous. For this reason, the players are highly compensated. Nothing will change. There will be just as many players trying to play for 10 years and make as much money as possible. I know I would. 

I'm all for making it safer but there is a limit to what you can do trying to circumvent or soften a collision with a 250lb person at full speed. We might be at that limit in today's age. 

I know this sounds dull and inconsiderable, but at the end of the day, the players are sacrificing their bodies for an absurd amount of money and fame. It is their choice, unlike in the gladiator days. 

2 minutes ago, iBBB said:

The average NFL player salary is  $1.9mil and the end of the day, football is a job. None of the players play for our entertainment alone. 

I'm not sure why people don't understand that no one is forced to play football. I think NFL should just go ahead and declare that playing tackle football will 100% impact your brain health and all the reasons why playing football is dangerous. For this reason, the players are highly compensated. Nothing will change. There will be just as many players trying to play for 10 years and make as much money as possible. I know I would. 

I'm all for making it safer but there is a limit to what you can do trying to circumvent or soften a collision with a 250lb person at full speed. We might be at that limit in today's age. 

lol yeah, nobody has been forced to play football. 

7 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

NFL won't exist in 30 years

Yet politicians in Charlotte think taxpayers will have to fork over a billion dollars in the near future to ward off a non-existent relocation threat.

I never played competitive soccer but it’s the most played sport for 5-19 year olds and it’s predictable 90-120 (max) games will only become more popular.

5 minutes ago, Jangler said:

really? 

single mother who need help raising a family. Plenty of players played football for one reason. To support a family.

Are you hearing what you're saying?

You just laughed when I said that no one if forced to play football and you supported that with this? That is what you call being forced to work somewhere? Gtfo. That's not even close to being forced. Try again. 

If you're only choice in life is playing football or dying (or letting others die), there are bigger issues in your life than how dangerous NFL is.

stanford is close to being able to test for CTE in living individuals.

That will probably be its death stroke as we know it. 

It won't go away, it'll just change dramatically. it's gone through massive changes before. Hell, Teddy Roosevelt made rule changes to keep it from being banned because so many people died every year playing it. 

Archived