• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Concussion blood test

stirs

Judging how I feel after my blood is drawn, and I will admit playing a sport directly after is not on my agenda.

Makes me wonder what the impact would be on the players if they have their blood drawn during a football game moments after an injury.

I am not a doctor, but with as much as your body is going through in that moment during a game, I think drawing blood would be an automatic "doubtful to return" status for the game, concussion or not.

disclaimer: I am not a doctor, and the above information only offers my perspective, and an obvious display of my medical knowledge. 

7 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Judging how I feel after my blood is drawn, and I will admit playing a sport directly after is not on my agenda.

Makes me wonder what the impact would be on the players if they have their blood drawn during a football game moments after an injury.

I am not a doctor, but with as much as your body is going through in that moment during a game, I think drawing blood would be an automatic "doubtful to return" status for the game, concussion or not.

disclaimer: I am not a doctor, and the above information only offers my perspective, and an obvious display of my medical knowledge. 

It said you could test in 12 hours. Definitely within the range of a football game. You would still need evaluation but it would speed up clearing a player. It should become mandatory honestly with teams like NE and NO rushing players back. 

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

It said you could test in 12 hours. Definitely within the range of a football game. You would still need evaluation but it would speed up clearing a player. It should become mandatory honestly with teams like NE and NO rushing players back. 

The test works by measuring the levels of proteins, known as UCH-L1, and GFAP, that are released from the brain into blood and measured within 12 hours of the head injury.

Doesn't sound like something that would be useful for within game situations, but I could definitely see this become part of the protocol and requiring this test to be performed the next day for anyone who was flagged for additional screening during a game. Ultimately, it may come down to sitting anyone who is flagged during the game for the remainder of that game.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The test works by measuring the levels of proteins, known as UCH-L1, and GFAP, that are released from the brain into blood and measured within 12 hours of the head injury.

Doesn't sound like something that would be useful for within game situations, but I could definitely see this become part of the protocol and requiring this test to be performed the next day for anyone who was flagged for additional screening during a game. Ultimately, it may come down to sitting anyone who is flagged during the game for the remainder of that game.

That's what I was trying to convey. 

Archived