• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chances we don't spend in free agency this year

AU-panther

I know we all get excited over free agency, and I personally think we need to add some quality free agents, but I'm afraid we might not spend like most of us want this year.

Two reasons for this.

First of all we have several of our own free agents that we might not resign and therefore could get comp picks for, high comp picks at that.  For this to happen we would have to limit ourselves in free agency.  We really would need to concentrate on players cut by other teams.

Another reason is that the team is for sale.  If I'm not mistaken free agency starts in March.  Why would the current ownership write large checks before they sell the team.  Wouldn't that cut into their own profits?  I know you could guarantee salary and such and that would effect them but what about any signing bonuses that have to be paid?  If somebody can remember past examples of this with other teams feel free to remind us how it went down.

I always get my hopes up for at least one or two big free agent signings. This usually never happens. Watching Panthers free agency in the past is like watching grass grow. Slow and uneventful. I'm expecting more of the same. At least until the next free agency after a new owner and GM are in place.

No way of knowing without even knowing for sure who our GM and even ownership will be.

I don't like the idea of shooting yourself in the dick in the present to hopefully be rewarded with comp picks in the future. Make decisions focused on fielding the best football field that you can and let the comp picks fall where they may. Would I pass on the opportunity to add a legit veteran WR for the hope of a 3rd-5th round comp pick next year? Hell fuging no.

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No way of knowing without even knowing for sure who our GM and even ownership will be.

I don't like the idea of shooting yourself in the dick in the present to hopefully be rewarded with comp picks in the future. Make decisions focused on fielding the best football field that you can and let the comp picks fall where they may. Would I pass on the opportunity to add a legit veteran WR for the hope of a 3rd-5th round comp pick next year? Hell fuging no.

I'm not sure who our GM will be even matters.  I would guess on any big deal the owner has to ok some of the huge signing bonuses and your upper tier free agents are the types that get those contracts.

Free agency starts in March, I'm just afraid we are going to be a "lame duck" organization until a new owner is in place.

Archived