• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any Chance the Hurney Decision Comes Back to Bite Rivera?

Toker Smurf

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

If we have a 6 to 8 win season or so, maybe not.

Less than that though, and yeah, Rivera is probably in danger. And it wouldn't necessarily have to do with Hurney.

This season to come is basically everybody's audition for their jobs. Expect a fair number of front office people to be gone anyway because, thanks to Richardson, some of them are doing job they're not qualified for.

As far as coaches, make no mistake: If they fail to impress in their audition season, they're gone.

If we don't find a way to sign Norwell it could quite happen. Putting just some one besides Matt Kalil is going to blow up. If Ryan Kalil gets hurt as well oh boy. 

4 hours ago, Udogg said:

Coaches campaign for players sometimes too... do they get fired if the player sucks?  Not saying Rivera won't get fired, but it will probably have nothing to do with Hurney and more to do with how the team performs. 

This, people need to stop watching too much day time TV yo

9 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

This, people need to stop watching too much day time TV yo

I guess I just think differently. I've been in management for almost 20 years now (during the day, so no soaps)  and I've had a lot of people ask me to help them get a job, where I work (different companies) . If I don't think they will be a good employee, I won't put in a good word for them. I don't want my workplace dragged down by underperformers and I don't want it to reflect badly on me. 

5 minutes ago, Cam El said:

I guess I just think differently. I've been in management for almost 20 years now and I've had a lot of people ask me to help them get a job, where I work (different companies) . If I don't think they will be a good employee, I won't put in a good word for them. I don't want my workplace dragged down by underperformers and I don't want it to reflect badly on me. 

That comes more will if they will trust your judgement next time around or not, but nobody is going to fire you if you recommend someone and they performed terribly. They are going to fire the person and trust your judgement less the next go around.

people be trippin if they think the other way around happens

17 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

That comes more will if they will trust your judgement next time around or not, but nobody is going to fire you if you recommend someone and they performed terribly. They are going to fire the person and trust your judgement less the next go around.

people be trippin if they think the other way around happens

Yeah, people definitely be 'trippin'. 

54 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Rivera has little to worry about. If the new owners canned him he would have folks lined up to hire him. No matter what folks here think, he has 2 coach of the year awards and a winning record after inheriting a 2-14 team.  

You are absolutely correct. There are a lot of teams in the NFL who would love to be slightly above average. 

6 hours ago, Cam El said:

I know this was mostly JR's doings but it's no secret that Rivera wanted Hurney and lobbied for such. When a new owner comes in and get the pulse of things, could this reflect badly on Rivera? After all, he could've pushed for someone with a real background in player evaluation to actually help the team, instead of the 'just the guy' who hired him. and he's comfortable with.

Both will be gone when new owners come in!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nobody.

Talent evaluation is not one of Rivera's strengths. It was Gettleman's, but he still always included Ron on every decision. That's been confirmed by both of them.

You can succeed with one guy who's good at something and one guy who's bad at it. Helps when the guy who's good at it is the one in higher authority.

When both are bad at it, yikes!

Yeah, that would suck. Good thing Hurney has an amazing drafting resume and has drafted almost all of the Panther legends.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:17 AM, Cam El said:

I know this was mostly JR's doings but it's no secret that Rivera wanted Hurney and lobbied for such. When a new owner comes in and get the pulse of things, could this reflect badly on Rivera? After all, he could've pushed for someone with a real background in player evaluation to actually help the team, instead of the 'just the guy' who hired him. and he's comfortable with.

Why would Rivera had chosen somebody else? 

I know the popular opinion around here is that Hurney isn't qualified, and we were better off with somebody else, but OBVIOUSLY the coach feels different. I guess you and others would expect coach to pick a guy he doesn't feel cal do the job - pretty asinine.

Archived