• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is it like this with Every. Single. FA Player we discuss?

Hotsauce

6 minutes ago, ras977 said:

Could be an improvement ??

Well, Tina Becker is actually just Jerry Richardson by proxy, so it's not really any change at all yet.

I expect come May she's either back to being an entertainment director or looking for work elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Look, not every free agent pick-up is good, not every free agent pick up is a disaster. It is always a mixed bag, no matter how much a GM tries to shield themselves from it. 

Hurney's biggest failing was that he tended to overpay for guys who were good, and sometimes would backload contracts for young players (both DWill and JStew for example) that would end up biting you in the butt because the guys were still serviceable and playing when the big bucks came due.

But don't say he didn't get some quality free agents, real diamonds out of the coal bins. He inherited a team with nothing and helped to turn it around quick. Some great first round draft picks (later round ones are a guess for anyone, really) and he brought in free agents like Jake Delhomme and Stephen Davis to create a Superb Owl team. 

Gettleman did pretty much the same, but he was playing with a team pretty much built by Hurney from the start. He made some good additions, he made some tough cuts, and he made some mistakes as well. 

Hopefully Hurney has learned from past mistakes and can correct some of his bad tendencies. We're stuck with him this year, at the least, so let's hope he kept some of the good tendencies as well. He's got good stuff to work with.

Good post.

Am I actually seeing Panthers fans trying to justify the Russell Shepard signing?

I mean, I know the huddle can get out of hand with all the dick measuring. But if you can seriously rationalize that signing, you are short a few marbles.

4 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Another classic response from the old guy who wants to be called Mister. 

Not if you actually know your facts...

If you check back on prior posts of mine, you'll find I called out people for sexist remarks when Becker was first announced.  Shortly thereafter though, I talked to someone who actually knew her and worked with her.  They advised me that the criticism of her was valid, and that it fits in with why she wouldn't be giving any interviews because nobody wanted to see her on the spot trying to answer questions.

It has nothing to do with her being female.

7 hours ago, Snake said:

Or you could just be trying to find a way to make Hurney look good. Fact: It was a out. Another Fact: Hurney saved no money by closing the out. It was a JR good favor move. 

Since this is a FACT, I would like you to explain to me what “out” we had and what choice Hurney had. Please. Do tell. Blaming Hurney for anything to do with Matt Kalil is just a sign of ignorance. Just like I’ve told this board since he signed, then all season, for this off-season and lastly in the thread where the option bonus was exercised, Gettleman screwed the pooch. 

And save the “make Hurney look good” stuff. There’s a couple people in this thread that know I don’t do that. 

Archived