• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where is your confidence level?

iamhubby1

First, I would like to address what I see as an epidemic among many of my Huddle brethren. Fear of the past. Instead of embracing, and learning from it. Using those experiences to learn and grow stronger in the belief that the past does not control me. There is no strength in the past. The past is not a monster, it has no bearing on where we are going. It just happens to be an omni present reminder of whence we came. Hence, it should not to be feared. 

Secondly, Value as it pertains to draft picks. Please stop using it. The notion that this player has value, but this one does not, is arbitrary. Value is in the eye of the beholder. If a pick works out, he has great value. If the pick happens to fail, obviously, he has little value. The only value associated with the draft, is the Draft Trade Value Chart. So please, stop with the "He has great value in the 3rd, but I wouldn't take him any earlier" schtick. Mkay? Thanks.

Okay, now that we have that out of the way. Let's get started shall we? Confidence. Specifically, how much confidence do you have? Right now? Now, let's say we have a productive draft, and our 1st 2 picks actually work out? Now, where is that pesky confidence level? 

I mean c'mon man. We were 11-5 last year. Right now, on paper, we look just as good, if not just a little bit better. And, we added Norv Turner to the mix. Even the most jaded of fans has to admit he is bringing a poo ton of excitement to the party. With Fuch getting a whole off-season to get healthier, and stronger. I expect big things from him. (I say that as a yuge UM hater.) I also expect Wright to continue to do what he does. Catch the ball, and get 1st downs. Along with Norv getting him some plays with chances to get him some YAC. With Smith, Byrd, and Samuel fighting for playing time. This is going to be a hungry group. 

I can also see the Norv effect helping the running game. He has had real good success getting his RB into positions to succeed. I expect CmC to come back stronger, and with a better grasp of the NFL game. Teamed with Norv, I am excited for the possibilities. Same with CAP. If he can flash in a Shula Offense, he has a real chance to shine in Norvs'.

So, as of this moment. I see an improved Offense for this year. So my confidence is pretty high.

As for that Defense. On paper we are marginally better. We were middle of the road last year. Unless Bradberry, and Cockrell play well. We probably will be again this year. That said, I believe we will not blitz as much this year. Which plays into our zone coverage CBs abilities. Which should make our pass D a little more solid. If Adams, who had a pretty good year last year, and Searcy, who is solid, can control the back end. We really can be pretty good on D.

So, as of this moment. I see the chance for a decent Defense. So my confidence is pretty high.

Contrary to popular opinion, I trust Gano. So I am good there. IMO, Palarday can be upgraded. But for some strange reason, good punters seem to be in short supply. Or is that just me? So all in all, I like these guys as well.

So right now. I can see another 11-5 type season. Get our 1st 2 rounders on the field, and my giddy goes up a notch. And if we somehow get lucky with 1, or both, of our 3rds? Man, we could be a really good team this year. Yeah, I said it.

So...What say you? How is your confidence level looking?

tl/dr version. Suck it haters. lol

If Tiger Woods in a red shirt and black pants is the highest and JK Rowling as a single mother living in a broom cupboard is the lowest I'm at about a David Arquette Eight Legged Freaks world premiere level.

I'm more excited that Cam will be doing all the off-season stuff and training camp. He started to look really good towards the middle of the season last year. Only thing that hurt him was all the wrs getting injured. I think he is going to come back with a great year. I don't think I've seen one person mention this when talking about the coming year. 

Meh. I think the people who tend to whine and complain and otherwise project negativity tend to post more than the people who are content in just watching things play out. 

its not just the huddle- most forums seem to be that way. 

I like regular updates to my team, and like to inject a little humor from time to time. Most of my posts are sarcastic hyperbole, or memes. 

1 minute ago, steven8989 said:

I'm more excited that Cam will be doing all the off-season stuff and training camp. He started to look really good towards the middle of the season last year. Only thing that hurt him was all the wrs getting injured. I think he is going to come back with a great year. I don't think I've seen one person mention this when talking about the coming year. 

A healthy, and happy Cam is truly the most important aspect going into the year. We know he should be healthy. We expect him to be happy with Norv. But, as of yet, we have heard precious little about how they have meshed. (I know, off-season, limited access. Yada yada.)

Yeah, folks seem to defiantly be overlooking this, or maybe just busy with other thoughts. Having Cam ready to go from day 1 is something that has not happened in 3 years. 

4 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

This is exciting Cam getting to work all off season with a brilliant O coordinator who focuses on deep throws which Cam excels in. 

I would love to say that we're headed to the Super Bowl and believe it, but I've followed this team for too long.  I think we may be in for another year like last year, where we're obviously good but we never seem to know what we have.  With our schedule we should be good for at least six wins at home, so if we can win 3-4 on the road we might finally break that back-to-back thing.  That's what I'm hoping for more than anything right now.

4 minutes ago, bull123 said:

We have a shot at being one of the more high powered offenses in the league

You know, at first blush I was like. Man, don't be that guy. But the more I think about it. As long as we have Cam. There is a distinct possibility you could be right. I know things have to fall into place. But right now? I see  enough pieces to actually believe this.

3 minutes ago, Cyberjag said:

I would love to say that we're headed to the Super Bowl and believe it, but I've followed this team for too long.  I think we may be in for another year like last year, where we're obviously good but we never seem to know what we have.  With our schedule we should be good for at least six wins at home, so if we can win 3-4 on the road we might finally break that back-to-back thing.  That's what I'm hoping for more than anything right now.

There you go, letting your fear of the past cloud your giddy. Let the future flow through you. Bask in the glow. Allow the spirit to show you the way.

If only one thing changes from last year, blitz less, that should make us just that much better. Throw in Norv, and yeah, I see a real valid opportunity for this team to compete with anyone.

4 minutes ago, bull123 said:

I’m telling you, the 2 WR that Marty picked up are gonna be impact players

I believe in Wright. I truly think he can do what Cotch did, only better. Smith I am iffy on, but I want to believe. So yeah, these two guys CAN help Cam.

7 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

We have to improve the secondary dramatically to do better than last year.

I have high high hopes for what Norv can do with our offense.  If would be really nice if Curtis can recover and play to his draft position.

Honestly, I can see why folks would be worried about our DBs. On paper, it really does not look much better. I will say this though. Cockrell is an upgrade over Whorley. Bradberry has the talent to be good, so I expect a bounce back year. Adams quietly had a pretty good year, hoping he can repeat. And Searcy is solid. Nothing special, just solid.

Although we may not be top of the league. We really should be pretty good. 

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

Honestly, I can see why folks would be worried about our DBs. On paper, it really does not look much better. I will say this though. Cockrell is an upgrade over Whorley. Bradberry has the talent to be good, so I expect a bounce back year. Adams quietly had a pretty good year, hoping he can repeat. And Searcy is solid. Nothing special, just solid.

Although we may not be top of the league. We really should be pretty good. 

I'm not worried about Bradberry.  I think he'll be fine.  He's had a different DC's every year, poor safety play behind him, and Worley was no help.  He'll rebound this year.

Great question. If you've ever studied personalities or emotional intelligence, you'll know some people are loyal skeptics. As long as you lead a post with subjective opinions you'll always have those that will take a negative perspective, this one will be no different. It's only fair that I compare my confidence to this same point in time last year. 

Last year: I remember being more confident with the signings of Peppers, Khalil, and Captain. We also had plans for WR#1-2, CB#1-2, RB#1-2, and our front 7 on D was in place. (Despite some of my own fallacies in those plans, I didn't know it at the time)

This year: I really like Norv, our front seven may be even better, our WR are faster, and we've purged our non performing positions. However, we replaced CB, RB, S, DE#2 with players that are either unproven or haven't had long term success. For that I'm slighlty down. The good news, we had an 11 game winning season with those positions underperforming, if they pan out to be improvements then we're even better.

To get my confidence higher than this point last year? Sign another proven vet to TE, DE, or S and hope for success on 2 of our first for picks.

Archived