• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

James Borrego Is The New Head Coach

As long as he brings the San Antonio ball movement with him, I'll be happy.  That alone should give us an additional 10 wins or so.  

If he brings in a good offensive coach as an assistant, I'll be fine with him being a defensive minded coach...I just want to see a well balanced team.  Ultimately, I think his success will hinge on what assistants he brings in.  Being as he is so young, he really needs some experienced coaches, preferably at least one with previous head coaching experience.  

We'll... This isn't his first time coaching the Hornets (New Orleans assistant). 

His team defensive style is to protect the paint.  So you can expect to see a lot of three balls go up against us. 

He's young (only 41) so you hope he's more adaptive and innovative than being overly convicted and set in old ways.

On 5/8/2018 at 5:21 PM, AppHeel said:

They say he's a strong defensive minded coach. I could care less about that. This coach NEEDS to be adept with player development which Clifford was terrible at. Whether we trade Kemba or not, we will be cap tied for another season or two so in order for us to be competitive in the East, we have to develop and rely on our young assets. That's Monk, Bacon, Hernangomez and the 11th pick in this year's draft. If Borrego can develop those guys and the young assets that come after them, then the Hornets will begin to trend upwards in being successful. 

I agree but if we do trade Kemba I am really hoping to add another lotto pick to that young (no pun) asset list.

6 hours ago, Shocker said:

I agree but if we do trade Kemba I am really hoping to add another lotto pick to that young (no pun) asset list.

I see what you did there ha. Yea that'd be great! If we can't get a pick to our liking for Kemba, I'd live with trading him if we could offset Dwight, Nic or Marvin with him. Way easier said than done.

If you want to get an idea of what to expect from Borrego, watch his introductory press conference.  IMO, he knocked it out of the park.  Said all the right things, and most importantly, seemed to recognize the same issues with the team many of us have seen.  It's easy to see why he was Kupchak's choice.  Smart guy who seems to get the modern NBA and has a plan to maximize the talent we have.

Oh, and I get the feeling that he is not too high on Howard.  He spoke glowingly about most players and how he can use them, but just talked about Howard in generic terms.  Wouldn't surprise me if they just eat his contract if they can't find a trade partner.

Here's a link to his press conference.  Sorry, but for some reason, I wasn't able to embed the video.

Borrego Press Conference

On 5/9/2018 at 3:47 PM, ItsPantone278 said:

We'll... This isn't his first time coaching the Hornets (New Orleans assistant). 

His team defensive style is to protect the paint.  So you can expect to see a lot of three balls go up against us. 

He's young (only 41) so you hope he's more adaptive and innovative than being overly convicted and set in old ways.

oh joy protecting the paint when the league is shooting a record number of 3 pointers lol 

should add that he specifically say in the presser that he wants to defend the three 

Archived