• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

AFI's Top 100 Movies of All Time

fitty76

On 7/20/2018 at 3:54 PM, Shocker said:

I'll take 13.  Oh and ET is overrated.

I saw a sneak preview of it when I was 17, with my girlfriend, and I cried like a baby. It was like a perfect movie. At least before they replaced the shotguns; as a kid they really affected me that these people were willing to shoot Elliott, and it made the bike flying over them way better. CE3K was a good movie of an interesting subject handled well, ET was a modern classic. Great cast, great story, interesting for kids and adults - not the greatest movie by the standards needed for such a thing if it exists, but definitely not overrated.

BTW Schindlers List was the best movie ever made, and I've only seen it once because I could not stand to see it again.

Steven Spielberg managed to straddle the line between anti studio Lucas desire to give more control to directors, and the studios that made him rich and famous. He is a directing genius and a management guru and he will be known as the greatest popular film director of all time. Yeah hes popular but its because he's good! Go look for Empire of the Sun as he figures out how to make grown up movies with a young kid actor named Christian Bale.

YOu know as I was writing that stuff I thought about how adults received ET - I was 17 so not really a kid or an adult; but I remember the divorce subplot and how it brought tension and humor to the movie because it seemed so real. Drew Barrymores character talking about daddy and his girlfriend for example. But as far as the main story, I think as an adult seeing how the kids are impacted by the governments arrival, and despite the adults best intentions, they fail in their attempts to help Elliott and ET - they aren't "wrong" they just didn't do the right thing. But yeah on the Blade Runner thing. And no on Trek II, I love that movie to no end, but it's just not that kind of a movie LOL. And I mean I LOVE THAT MOVIE.

Archived