• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Saquan Barkley Is Now The 4th Highest Paid RB In The NFL

bobsfoodbasics

Just now, bull123 said:

Bell is an egotistical greedy idiot

As a Steelers fan also, I don’t have a problem with Bell trying to get all he can. He made it clear from day one that he was going to try and “reset” the market for RBs. And even though it isn’t an ideal situation for the team, I respect him for it. Someone needed to. And honestly, I’d rather pay him 14M this year and be done with it rather than be committed long-term for that every year. Now turning down 5/70M seems selfish, but the word was there was less than 20M guaranteed, so like many contracts, the total numbers don’t tell the whole story. 

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Barkley's pay has nothing to do with RBs getting their due respect from a financial standpoint and everything to do with where he was drafted due to the rookie wage scale. He would've gotten the same contract regardless of the position he played.

And, the point is, if an RB is considered to be worth that top 10 draft pick, then he deserves the money worthy of a top 10 draft pick. It's that simple. Furthermore, if he lives up to the hype and value of that draft pick, or even surpasses the value, then he deserves to get paid regardless of a belief by many that he isn't worth the money. 

43 minutes ago, top dawg said:

And, the point is, if an RB is considered to be worth that top 10 draft pick, then he deserves the money worthy of a top 10 draft pick. It's that simple. Furthermore, if he lives up to the hype and value of that draft pick, or even surpasses the value, then he deserves to get paid regardless of a belief by many that he isn't worth the money. 

I’m not sure what you’re trying to argue? That’s exactly what I was saying. He got his contract based on his draft position, not his position. 

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I’m not sure what you’re trying to argue? That’s exactly what I was saying. He got his contract based on his draft position, not his position. 

Good. I’m not crazy. I thought you two(and myself were saying pretty much the same thing. I was sort of lost, too

10 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

It is what it is. It's a damn bargain to what it would be without rookie salary caps.

Yep, the rookie wage scale was implemented because the agents were whipping the GMs up one side of the street and down the other in negotiating rookie contracts at the top of the draft. But, to be fair, it was a completely unfair negotiation to begin with. The team had already invested a very valuable resource in a high draft into these prospects and the agents knew there was a fat chance the GMs were going to let that pick go to waste by not getting the project signed.

2 hours ago, bull123 said:

Bell is an egotistical greedy idiot

I thought the same thing that he was being greedy, but then the guaranteed money number came out and made it perfectly clear why he declined the offer. Being a little more than 10 million guaranteed is disrespectful. 

Freeman is the highest paid running back and he has 22 million in guaranteed money. 

18 minutes ago, bull123 said:

We will see how this all works out for Pitts...bet it ends badly

Really? How much? I’m down.

Now, when you can define “ending badly”.  Since he is not signed long- term, at least until the season is over, how does it end badly. At worst, he gets hurt this year and they get stuck paying 14M for nothing. Just like any other player on any team could. Next worst is he gives you another great season and moves on. Great. Not on the hook for 15M/yr for a RB.  So once you describe “badly”, we can move onto me taking your money.

Archived