• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith and Depression

ellis

18 hours ago, The Huddler said:

Also i said drug addiction, not murders. I said nothing of murders.. :thinking:

I read the issue as mental health, crime, mental health issue, criminal. The argument structure seemed to suggest that all criminal acts committed while suffering from mental health impairments wouldn't be considered criminal matters. 

18 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Therapists can't write scripts. PhD psychologists in some states can write scripts for psychotropic medication, but otherwise it is a medical doctor or psychiatrist. The reality is most people on depression medication are not receiving therapy and most scripts are written by family physicians who have little to no mental health training except for what they picked up along the way. 

Psychiatrists will recommend therapy and write a prescription. There is oftentimes no follow up on the therapy portion of the recommendation, and there is no recourse if a person doesn't attend therapy. 

5 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Psychiatrists will recommend therapy and write a prescription. There is oftentimes no follow up on the therapy portion of the recommendation, and there is no recourse if a person doesn't attend therapy. 

That is true for some doctor's depending on the medication. For example many patients who are prescribed Suboxone as a treatment to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms from opiate drug addiction and heroin use will require a patient to be in treatment in order to keep receiving medication.  Other times for antidepressants, therapy is recommended but not required. But then many types of depression resolve themselves without the need for long term drug or talking therapy such as in many cases of grief and bereavement. 

27 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

That is true for some doctor's depending on the medication. For example many patients who are prescribed Suboxone as a treatment to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms from opiate drug addiction and heroin use will require a patient to be in treatment in order to keep receiving medication.  Other times for antidepressants, therapy is recommended but not required. But then many types of depression resolve themselves without the need for long term drug or talking therapy such as in many cases of grief and bereavement. 

I hope, personally, that more research is completed about the associations of actions and depression so that the cause can be better understood. Depression didn't become an issue recently. Either it was something that wasn't well understood, or the term depression is an umbrella statement for much more specific problems. I also don't know that I agree with temporary bouts (days to a month) of sadness needs to qualify as depression and requires medication.  

I suppose i'm not a practicing psychiatrist but my first recommendation would always be therapy. I've seen many horror stories related to SSRI's; much like opiates, once the chemistry of the brain is altered by introduced substances, it never really returns to it's normal state.

That said, I wish, in another dimension, that KB was a DB and that Steve Smith was still playing, and the comments KB made were about Smith. 

Archived