• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Cuts and Trades

Mr. Scot

Just now, mjligon said:

Is he the former Chief safety?

Yeah.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Is he over 30? Check.

Is he slow? Check.

Will he be dirt cheap? Check.

Sounds like our kind of safety! He checks all the boxes!

I wish that were less true than it is.

Rivera really doesn't seem to value athleticism in safeties at all.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Is he over 30? Check.

Is he slow? Check.

Will he be dirt cheap? Check.

Sounds like our kind of safety! He checks all the boxes!

Was he formerly associated with the Panthers regardless of talent level? Check.

the biggest box of all 

5 minutes ago, Bronn said:

Colin Jones is like the fastest guy on our team and he's terrible at safety... Mike Adams has been decent... it isn't just about speed or age, lol

Jones is primarily a special teamer.  I think pretty much everyone knows if he spends significant time starting at safety, it's bad.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Jones is primarily a special teamer.  I think pretty much everyone knows if he spends significant time starting at safety, it's bad.

I knew this, but he's still fast... lol... AND he's had to start for us when Coleman was out.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

And you saw how that went.

My point was that it wasn't about speed or age. Because we have fast guys and we have old guys. We have young guys too. We just need safeties who can play, regardless of the variables.

1 minute ago, Bronn said:

My point was that it wasn't about speed or age. Because we have fast guys and we have old guys. We have young guys too. We just need safeties who can play, regardless of the variables.

I don't believe it's an accident that Rivera has gone with guys like Roman Harper and Mike Adams. Older veterans with more savvy than speed seem to be a thing for him.  And that's fine, as long as it works.

Given the general state of our secondary right now though, I question whether it's working.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't believe it's an accident that Rivera has gone with guys like Roman Harper and Mike Adams. Older veterans with more savvy than speed seem to be a thing for him.  And that's fine, as long as it works.

Given the general state of our secondary right now though, I question whether it's working.

I think that approach is fine if you're strong at CB and need some placeholders at safety. But when you're weak and/or young and inexperienced at safety and need safeties to help make up for that, that's when you run into a problem with the over the hill savvy vet approach. Those guys can help fill a role, but you can't ask those guys to be difference makers.

Archived