• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Create $5.1m In Additional Cap Space By Converting Luke's Salary Into A Signing Bonus

bobsfoodbasics

17 minutes ago, coralreefer_1 said:

spoken like someone tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and very adept at kicking debt down the road. 

When debt is interest free, what is the issue? It’s not like you pay more to do it. Please explain how doing it with Cam , specifically, would hurt in any way. He’s getting another contract in two years. You can roll anything over to that and keep going until he retires. 

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

No way we can afford Thomas. This team is not built to pay a 29 year old safety that kind of money who would have to learn your playbook on the fly. We just drafted a safety in the 3rd round and the team would rather pay the lines. We had Roman Harper starting for us during our super bowl year....what killed us in that game was our line. We should learn from our mistakes not continue to repeat them year after year. Daryl Williams>Thomas 

What prevents having both. Show me how there’s “no way”. Because I’ve already shown multiple examples of how we could and your using games from 3 years ago. Should we pick up Kony Ealy because he had a great game. 

What you got.....

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

With Ryan Kalil, JPep, TD, Adams, Cap all expected to move on, There will be plenty to sign Williams. 

We could pay this year by mailing Cam a 13.5M check right now. That creates 9M immediately. It kicks it down the road, but if it’s a player like Cam it doesn’t matter as much. There is almost no scenario where you would consider cutting him, so just keep kicking it down the road every year. See Drew Brees. If he cut/retires somehow, you’re probably starting over anyhow so eat it all in a year you want to suck. But no others. Too many will bite you like it did Hurney years ago. 

Love how people list guys likely to retire or move on as savings to sign one star.  You do realize that you would have to replace Kalil, Pep, TD, Adams, Cap, etc.

Guys screaming about not having cap space, not realzing a lomabardi is not going to matter if this secondary isn’t much improved from previous years. I’m not sure if Thomas is even really disgruntled with his contract or really just wants out of sea, but we could make it happen without selling for the farm don’t overreact, real question is if he’s committed to only Dallas or open to playing for a contender. 

21 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

Love how people list guys likely to retire or move on as savings to sign one star.  You do realize that you would have to replace Kalil, Pep, TD, Adams, Cap, etc.

How much is Ryan Kalil making and how much would a player like Thomas get?  10M for Kalil, and I don’t imagine Thomas gets more than that. So that’s one for one. What were you saying again? 

5 minutes ago, Toomers said:

How much is Ryan Kalil making and how much would a player like Thomas get?  10M for Kalil, and I don’t imagine Thomas gets more than that. So that’s one for one. What were you saying again? 

I think that for the sake of accurate math, when you're discussing two separate positions, you have to look at parallel options because you do have to have guys at both spots.

To put it simply, what you have to compare is the cost of Kalil plus a safety vs Thomas and a center. Perhaps Kalil and Thomas have the same figures, but then who do you have in the other positions?

Make sense?

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think that for the sake of accurate math, when you're discussing two separate positions, you have to look at parallel options because you do have to have guys at both spots.

To put it simply, what you have to compare is the cost of Kalil plus a safety vs Thomas and a center. Perhaps Kalil and Thomas have the same figures, but then who do you have in the other positions?

Make sense?

I was just showing a basic solution. Since the positions are similar, pay-wise, I went with it. Kalil to Larsen and Searcy to Thomas would actually be cheaper, as Searcy has a 4M cap hit next year. Larsen around 2M. 

I hope this is what you meant? 

11 minutes ago, Trident Panther said:

So are planning to use this or not? We need safety depth. 

I'm thinking when this move was started, contacting Luke's agent and all, we were planning for a bad case scenario with the OL....we had 3 starters being evaluated on a day by day basis, and that's bad.

Could be as those few days passed, we felt better about Amini and Daryl being available, and decided to take a band aid in Corey Robinson.

Now we've got a little more cap space in case the bad case scenario plays out.  We still have some flexibility if we need it.

On 9/1/2018 at 1:34 PM, bostonpanther said:

You do realize this is the exact type of thing that Hurney got us in trouble for in the past, right? Pushing the buck down the line until you have too many bloated salary cap figures to adequately deal with a roster.  I’m not saying this particular move is wrong necessarily, but you saying this benefits the cap is inaccurate. This is like taking a home equity loan out. Sure you get cash today, but eventually you have to pay it back.

Hurney has always used the players' contracts like his personal bank. Constantly restructuring. The CBA now limits how many times and when a contract can be restructured but here he goes again and it makes me extremely nervous. Signing bonuses are prorated across the contract years as guaranteed money. This is the #1 reason I didn't want Hurney back. Golden brick road to cap hell.

5 hours ago, Toomers said:

When debt is interest free, what is the issue? It’s not like you pay more to do it. Please explain how doing it with Cam , specifically, would hurt in any way. He’s getting another contract in two years. You can roll anything over to that and keep going until he retires. 

And when Cam retires, or is cut (and it is possible), all that was rolled forward will be due and becomes dead guaranteed money.

See Delhomme, Jake. Surprise cut him with $12.5 million in guaranteed money, dead money, that had been pushed back multiple times for years.

See Smith, Steve. Surprise cut him with $5 million in guaranteed, dead money.

13 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

Hurney has always used the players' contracts like his personal bank. Constantly restructuring. The CBA now limits how many times and when a contract can be restructured but here he goes again and it makes me extremely nervous. Signing bonuses are prorated across the contract years as guaranteed money. This is the #1 reason I didn't want Hurney back. Golden brick road to cap hell.

And when Cam retires, or is cut (and it is possible), all that was rolled forward will be due and becomes dead guaranteed money.

See Delhomme, Jake. Surprise cut him with $12.5 million in guaranteed money, dead money, that had been pushed back multiple times for years.

See Smith, Steve. Surprise cut him with $5 million in guaranteed, dead money.

I’ve already addressed this scenario. Delhomme never should have gotten that ridiculous contract in the first place. Big difference between him and Cam. And Smitty was 35 years old when he was let go. 

Tell me a scenario where we would cut Cam in the next eight years? If his play fell apart, and for some reason he was cut, the team is probably going into rebuild mode and won’t worry about the cap hit. Which is exactly what I posted earlier. I’m only talking about Cam. No other players. The Steelers and Pats do this every year. Ever wonder how NO makes all those moves with no cap space? 

Archived