• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Create $5.1m In Additional Cap Space By Converting Luke's Salary Into A Signing Bonus

bobsfoodbasics

1 hour ago, joeyxfresco said:

You don’t create space right before week 1 if you’re not making a splash 

Actually you could.

You need cap space for transactions that occur within the season. Plus the change to where we have to count everybody down to the practice squad and injured reserve rather than just the top 51 is imminent.

We traded for Robinson so that's good, but it's also quite possible that this move is just for breathing room.

45 minutes ago, Castavar said:
MMQB's Albert Breer reports the Colts are shopping RT Austin Howard.
Howard signed a one-year, $3.75 million deal with Indy this offseason. Trading Howard would be risky with Anthony Castonzo (hamstring) sidelined, but the Colts like what they've seen from rookie Braden Smith at right tackle. A proven starter, Howard could probably return a late-round pick.

Could we be going after Austin Howard? I wouldn't mind spending a late pick for him (although, at this point he might be cut anyway). He's lost a step, but could still be somewhat serviceable until Daryl came back.

I wouldn't mind it, but trades for a guy who's a starter all right generally made if the guy you currently have as a starter is expected to come back within the season.

That's kind of like getting stitches for a cut that you could put a band aid over.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Actually you could.

You need cap space for transactions that occur within the season. Plus the change to where we have to count everybody down to the practice squad and injured reserve rather than just the top 51 is imminent.

We traded for Robinson so that's good, but it's also quite possible that this move is just for breathing room.

You're speaking rationality, but it's much more fun to dream of a big trade...!

3 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Woah Hurney doing things that benefit the cap instead of waste?

I like this Tepper era.

You do realize this is the exact type of thing that Hurney got us in trouble for in the past, right? Pushing the buck down the line until you have too many bloated salary cap figures to adequately deal with a roster.  I’m not saying this particular move is wrong necessarily, but you saying this benefits the cap is inaccurate. This is like taking a home equity loan out. Sure you get cash today, but eventually you have to pay it back.

Just now, KB_fan said:

Well unless Daryl is miraculously healthy enough to play week 1, Robinson is our new starting RT.

They may still make another move. In any event, as long as Robinson's foot injury is nothing, I feel better with him than who we had. The problem becomes if he or Moton go down. We need another tackle that isn't injured.

2 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

They may still make another move. In any event, as long as Robinson's foot injury is nothing, I feel better with him than who we had. The problem becomes if he or Moton go down. We need another tackle that isn't injured.

Ron may, heaven help us, counting on Amini as backup tackle. Yikes. 

Archived