• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Greatest “Missed Opportunity” of them all

bigdog10

One thing defines this season and one thing only. No, it isn’t an injured Cam Newton or some questionable decisions by Ron Rivera during games. 

There is one missed opportunity that completely derailed this season and, in my opinion, is the sole reason Ron Rivera should be shown the door in January  

Rons blind loyalty to a coordinator who was clearly in over his head completely tanked this season, slighted some great veterans a memorable farewell tour, and burned a year off our two future hall of famers careers.  Ignoring the fact that Washington wasn’t cut out for the DC job until it was too late is his greatest sin as coach here. 

I don’t put a lot of stock into the opinions of the huddle because most of us have little clue what we are talking about and change opinions with the wind. With that said, it was painstakingly obvious after the ravens game, and even further cemented when the Bucs nearly came back the first time. This entire board was screaming for Ron to take the reigns after the Pittsburgh game, but he is loyal to a fault. 

The defense that played tonight is the defense that we could have taken to Detroit and Tampa. It is also the defense we could have had against Seattle at home. Ron Rivera leading this defense does one thing that is unmistakingly clear; it gives Luke Keuchly the confidence to make his reads and adjustments, which in turn elevates his play and the play of those around him. 

Ron, you cheated your veterans out of a run because you didn’t want to hurt a buddies feelings. 

I honestly think that if Rivera took over the defense after Pittsburgh and we sat the injured Cam for Heineken after that game, we'd be 9-5 or better right now. Oh well, hope Cam's shoulder heals and we get a top 10 pick and we clear out the staff and get lucky with someone like Pederson or McVay to come in and succeed.

As fans it was hard to see bc you trust a defensive HC...but we had 2 consecutive years of our DC becoming a HC.  You would think that there was a pipeline he was building yet to bring guys up but nope.  Washington was so in over his head and you have to wonder how Rivera didn't see this.  

I don’t dislike Washington as a coach. He just wasn’t the answer at DC. Completely in over his head. When you are creating situations where this fan base is questioning Luke Keuchly, you’re doing it wrong. 

The writing was on the wall pretty quick with Washington, but as has been the case for Ron’s entire existence here, he was painstakingly slow to make the adjustment. 

27 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

One thing defines this season and one thing only. No, it isn’t an injured Cam Newton or some questionable decisions by Ron Rivera during games. 

There is one missed opportunity that completely derailed this season and, in my opinion, is the sole reason Ron Rivera should be shown the door in January  

Rons blind loyalty to a coordinator who was clearly in over his head completely tanked this season, slighted some great veterans a memorable farewell tour, and burned a year off our two future hall of famers careers.  Ignoring the fact that Washington wasn’t cut out for the DC job until it was too late is his greatest sin as coach here. 

I don’t put a lot of stock into the opinions of the huddle because most of us have little clue what we are talking about and change opinions with the wind. With that said, it was painstakingly obvious after the ravens game, and even further cemented when the Bucs nearly came back the first time. This entire board was screaming for Ron to take the reigns after the Pittsburgh game, but he is loyal to a fault. 

The defense that played tonight is the defense that we could have taken to Detroit and Tampa. It is also the defense we could have had against Seattle at home. Ron Rivera leading this defense does one thing that is unmistakingly clear; it gives Luke Keuchly the confidence to make his reads and adjustments, which in turn elevates his play and the play of those around him. 

Ron, you cheated your veterans out of a run because you didn’t want to hurt a buddies feelings. 

I'm not sure I believe as strongly as you do about all your point, but you make it well...

Tonight looked like a Panthers defense. Rivera is a damn good DC.

Promoting Washington was a major mistake...

Ultimately I don't know if it would have mattered bc of Cam's shoulder issue in terms of being able to win in the playoffs, but we would have at least made them...

Archived