• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analytics

Cdw

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Crappy draft picks

Terrible FA signings

Yes Moore, Jackson, and Reid were impact players THIS year

While Poe was a weakness.  Searcy showed nothing when healthy, as did Smith, and CJ Smith (I get he had 2 good weeks in LA, but the staff didnt seem he was good enough to get any here and 2 other teams that cut him after us didnt seem he was good enough as well)

Crappy draft picks!?!? Hurney knocked this draft out of the freaking park. 

Just now, ncfan said:

Crappy draft picks

Terrible FA signings

Yes Moore, Jackson, and Reid were impact players THIS year

While Poe was a weakness.  Searcy showed nothing when healthy, as did Smith, and CJ Smith (I get he had 2 good weeks in LA, but the staff didnt seem he was good enough to get any here and 2 other teams that cut him after us didnt seem he was good enough as well)

- I agree with Poe.

- I don’t remember enough of Searcy to go one way or the other (he probably doesn’t either)

- I’m blanking on Smith, unsure of who that is.

- I still think CJ could have been productive here but I also think there was a lack of communication between Hurney and Norv on how he was going to deploy the running backs.

I will say this about DG, for every player he signed he had a plan for them. It didn’t always work out but he knew what their role was going to be.

Maybe Hurney and Rivera don’t talk enough or there is a conflict of interest (I believe Hurney had to convince Ron that Jackson would be a good pick), but I’m satisfied in the players we added. I can’t say the same about the way the team as a whole performed.

Just now, The Natural said:

Crappy draft picks!?!? Hurney knocked this draft out of the freaking park. 

Did you read the post?

I said he hit those picks this year.

But this is overall, overall the dude has been a bum drafter outside the 1st round (which he was generally drafting pretty high in)

The dude did a Terrible job at signing the puzzle piece FAs.  And his history shows he's terrible at handling that as well.

The dude didnt get 1.....One.....ONe.......ONE fugging phone call from the other 31 teams.  That shows you what people out there in that profession, in the league, think of him.

While Rivera people have already been talking about lining up to scoop him up the second he hits the market.

Ill take the guy who people in the league think pretty high of vs some dude who the only people who like him is the local radio WFNZ for a radio interview 

57 minutes ago, Cdw said:

Dear Mr. Tepper,

Something for you to analyze

2002   7-9

2003  11-5

2004   7-9

2005  11-5

2006   8-8

2007   7-9

2008  12-4

2009   8-8

2010  2-14

2011  6-10

2012   7-9

2018   7-9

Theres a pattern and a common denominator.  Please make the right choice.

Great, let's do that:
2002 - One of the fastest recoveries from a 1-15 team ever. 
2003 - Superb Owl
2004 - Half the team was on IR; still were a field goal away from the playoffs
2005 - Playoffs
2006 - This year sucked on every level; basically the 2018 team.
2007 - QB got hurt week 3. 
2008 - Playoff
2009 - QB sucked.
2010 - Godawful team
2011 - 6-10 after 2-14? Not that bad
2012 - Fired, deservedly, after a 1-5 start and four consecutive losing seasons
2018 - QB hurt.

What I see here is a GM who was pretty dang good from 2002 to 2008 - where we were either in the playoffs or around .500 - but who had no idea what to do when his franchise QB got hurt in 2007 and fell off a cliff in 2009. Would I have re-hired Hurney in 2017? Not really, but I don't think this is quite the disaster you make it out to be. I don't see how personnel is our issue this year, however - or rather, how it's his issue, given previous GM's persistent problems at the offensive line and defensive backfield. The warning signs with Hurney were overpaying and not understanding how to develop quarterbacks.

Tepper should look at other options, but I don't think firing Hurney is a fix-all. If anything it might be good to wait until after the draft to fire him given how good this year was.

3 minutes ago, TN05 said:

Great, let's do that:
2003 - Superb Owl
2005 - Playoffs
2006 - This year sucked on every level; basically the 2018 team.
2007 - QB got hurt week 3. 
2008 - Playoff
2009 - QB sucked.
2010 - Godawful team
2018 - QB hurt.

What I see here is a GM who was pretty dang good from 2002 to 2008 - where we were either in the playoffs or around .500 - but who had no idea what to do when his franchise QB got hurt in 2007 and fell off a cliff in 2009. Would I have re-hired Hurney in 2017? Not really, but I don't think this is quite the disaster you make it out to be. I don't see how personnel is our issue this year, however - or rather, how it's his issue, given previous GM's persistent problems at the offensive line and defensive backfield. The warning signs with Hurney were overpaying and not understanding how to develop quarterbacks.

Tepper should look at other options, but I don't think firing Hurney is a fix-all. If anything it might be good to wait until after the draft to fire him given how good this year was.

Im assuming you wernt a fan during the Hurney days? He started trading future first round draft picks for scrubs and left us in salary cap hell by over paying players who had seen their best years behind them. The worst of these was Signing Jake to that huge extension after he imploded in the 2008 playoff game against Arizona. 

3 minutes ago, TN05 said:

Great, let's do that:
2003 - See above
2005 - Playoffs
2006 - This year sucked.
2007 - QB got hurt week 3
2008 - Playoff
2009 - QB sucked.
2010 - Godawful team
2018 - QB hurt.

What I see here is a GM who was pretty dang good from 2002 to 2008, but who had no idea what to do when his franchise QB got hurt in 2007 and fell off a cliff in 2009. Would I have re-hired Hurney in 2017? Not really, but I don't think this is quite the disaster you make it out to be. I don't see how personnel is our issue this year, however - or rather, how it's his issue, given previous GM's persistent problems at the offensive line and defensive backfield. 

A GMs job is to assemble a winning roster.  To supply depth for when the inevitability of injuries strike.  Hurney has consistently failed to do so.

7 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Did you read the post?

I said he hit those picks this year.

But this is overall, overall the dude has been a bum drafter outside the 1st round (which he was generally drafting pretty high in)

The dude did a Terrible job at signing the puzzle piece FAs.  And his history shows he's terrible at handling that as well.

I disagree. At first, Hurney was phenominal at both drafting and free agency. His 2002-2004 drafts were phenomenal. Julius Peppers, DeShaun Foster, Will Witherspoon, Jordan Gross, Ricky Manning, Chris Gamble, Travelle Wharton - all starters, all great for at least a few years, most of them for a solid decade.

He also made the exact type of signings Gettleman made, but better - Rod Smart, Al Wallace, Shane Burton, and Mark Fields in 2002, Stephen Davis and Jake Delhomme in 2003, and Ken Lucas in 2005. These were all vital picks that helped enable our rapid rebuilding from 1-15, Super Bowl run in 2003, and deep playoff run in 2005.

As years went on, he clearly lost his touch in this area though. 2006 was an utter bust despite an actual big-name signing in Keyshawn Johnson, 2007 was a lost cause because our QB got hurt, and 2008 failed on QB play in the end. We kept him on well after he stopped being a net positive. He had no idea how to handle a QB transition and started getting desperate in how to hold on to an aging roster...

See the similarities? There's good reason to can him now, or at least consider it. But it's lunacy to argue he was horrible on total in his entire tenure - not many GMs had that really solid run he did from 2002 to 2005. 

4 minutes ago, Cdw said:

A GMs job is to assemble a winning roster.  To supply depth for when the inevitability of injuries strike.  Hurney has consistently failed to do so.

Again 

THIRTY 

ONE

Other Teams thought so LOWLY of him that he didnt even deserve 1 Fugging Phone call.  And the only people Calling him was a Local Fugging radio Station.  thats it.  When everyone else out there in that profession doesnt even want to give him the time of day, thats telling

11 minutes ago, Cdw said:

To a degree, yes, but some things you literally cannot plan for. What's your plan for if, this year, we were to see Christian McCaffery, CJ Anderson, Cameron-Artis Payne, Fozzy Whittaker, and DJ Moore all get hurt? There is no plan, because it's impossible to plan for, but that's what happened in 2004. Literally everyone was hurt - Stephen Davis, DeShaun Foster, Rod Smart, and I think at least one other guy we signed off the street. We had to resort to sticking our fullbacks, Brad Hoover and Nick Goings, at running back. Our roster was strong enough to not entirely implode, which is pretty impressive for a run-oriented team.

8 minutes ago, jbland said:

Im assuming you wernt a fan during the Hurney days? He started trading future first round draft picks for scrubs and left us in salary cap hell by over paying players who had seen their best years behind them. The worst of these was Signing Jake to that huge extension after he imploded in the 2008 playoff game against Arizona. 

I pretty clearly laid out why he deserved to be fired, and how his tenure after 2006 basically ruined our team. He was chasing an aging roster and had no backup plan at QB despite Jake literally getting hurt in 2007... I think our backup was Josh McCown in 2008, and we didn't draft anyone. We could have drafted Joe Flacco instead of Jonathan Stewart, for reference.

What I will not accept is people not recognizing how much good for this team he did from 2002-2005. It was a fugging miracle to recover from 1-15 like we did, and Hurney was a lot of the reason for that due to solid drafts and good free agent pickups.

4 minutes ago, TN05 said:

not many GMs had that really solid run he did from 2002 to 2005. 

That was a LONG time ago.  He's been abysmal since then.  But, I do agree with you that firing him wouldnt be a fix all.  Itd be a good start though.

1 minute ago, Cdw said:

That was a LONG time ago.  He's been abysmal since then.  But, I do agree with you that firing him wouldnt be a fix all.  Itd be a good start though.

I'm mainly pointing out his similarities in Gettleman in that he rebuilt a bad team into a contender rapidly but struggled with drafts, paying (or overpaying, in his case) players, and dealing with entire position groups that were glaring holes for years.

I also don’t think there can be an argument made for Hurney not addressing the needs.

It’s not like this fan base didn’t think the Panthers were talented enough to win the Super Bowl. Igo made a thread after we signed Reid that stated the Panthers were now the favorites to come out of the NFC and everyone agreed.

The coaches failed these players the last 8 weeks.

Archived