• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Orville S2

Jangler

• 1 month later...

Good season. The first thing is, it's not a parody.

It's better than Star Trek, or at least everything since the second season of DS:9. There's humor and then there's a lot of story-building going on behind the scenes along with a lot more realistic view of interpersonal relationships aboard ship and in a union of 300 different planets.

This past week's part one of a two part story arc was pretty well done and was certainly not a parody. 

• 2 weeks later...

How would it be received by a TOS fan? Wifey loves TOS and TNG, and while a McFarlane show isn't something she'd consider, I've heard that Star Trek Discovery is utter crap that's just Star Wars-esqe space action. And Orville is the true heir apparent to the "we go visit a strange planet with weird alien cultures and find out what dark secret is going on behind the scenes," genre.

Thoughts? How much Family Guy style humor is crammed in there?

22 hours ago, Captroop said:

How would it be received by a TOS fan? Wifey loves TOS and TNG, and while a McFarlane show isn't something she'd consider, I've heard that Star Trek Discovery is utter crap that's just Star Wars-esqe space action. And Orville is the true heir apparent to the "we go visit a strange planet with weird alien cultures and find out what dark secret is going on behind the scenes," genre.

Thoughts? How much Family Guy style humor is crammed in there?

Honestly, the humor is in the backseat on the show. It's definitely not Family Guy in Space. It's a good, solid sci-fi show that is working hard to build a Universe that's believable and makes sense. They're doing a lot of good work in making the aliens more alien, while couching it in the idea of all of these disparate types coming into the office to work together.

I think it's McFarlane's masterpiece show and his lifelong love of Star Trek and sci-fi in general makes this something he obviously wants to get right. There's still a lot of humor in it, but it's smart and far from the annoying boundary pushing humor he employs in other projects. He does push boundaries, for sure, but it is with the subject matter and societal issues rather than crude jokes.

Give it a watch. It's fun and thoughtful. Didn't think I'd say that about a McFarlane production, but there it is and I'm a fan.

This season has been wonderful. Real TNG ideas pushed to 11 and a cast that is gelling with good writing and less emphasis on the jokes, neat guest actors.  Issac storyline was unexpected and great. Worth watching for any TNG fan and better than a lot of the Netflix type stuff that relies more on atmosphere and mood than story and plot to me.

Archived