• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Your call...being competitive in 2019

Jmac

17 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

Cutting Cam is not likely, but the Panthers need to be prepared in the event Cam can't answer the bell. That means an experienced vet needs to be brought in to compete with Allen, if things don't break the way we would like.

Allen played against the Saints first-team defense, although they were surely uninspired. Keep in mind, no one has much of a book on Allen, so he hasn't faced a team that has game-planned against him. I would say it's likely he's a league-average, if not below league-average QB next year. Spend some money on a couple of road graders and try to shorten the games. Bring in a vet RB to split some carries with CMC (maybe someone like a CJ Anderson...whoops!). We may see some rather low-scoring games, at least from the Panther's end, next year. 

I'd dare say that Cam not being available next year would make it easier for the Panthers to let go of their core vet group (Olsen, Peppers, etc.).

I agree with all that,.. but I would like to see someone that plays with nothing to lose— like a Fitz or someone— that MF will throw downfield all day long,.. fearless.

thats inspired football. 

Get someone like that to come in, let Cam sit and get better— fix the team,..

Cam comes back to a team ready to go all the way instead of a team that at best is what Foles had to play with— a 4-6 team that Foles had to will to the divisional round.

Cam can inspire the team to win and take them farther than they have business going.

what I would like to see is to get a team together as good or better than our Super Bowl team and then Cam comes back for that.

1 hour ago, Sub Zero said:

Trent Dilfer lead 2 teams into the playoffs as well..  Winning a superbowl doesn't make you a great QB.. Sorry I just don't see the awe factor in Foles and think he's in a perfect situation now.. Reminds me of matt moore.. Great relief pitcher but don't count on him as a full time starter...

Gotta disagree. Foles is the real deal and with Philly is 21-11 as a starter. He absolutely can start and could play in our system.

22 hours ago, panthers55 said:

That is actually the thing we should do. Rookie contracts are cheap and if Cam recovers we don't have to start the rookie. Let him sit and learn. If he excels we can make him the eventually starter if we move on from Cam or trade him down the road. It is much cheaper to bring in a QB on a rookie deal and develop him as your back up versus bringing in a guy like Bridgewater or Fitzgerald who will want 15 -20 mil to sit the bench.

yea...I agree... we have a lot of needs to fill thru the draft but to keep from hosing the cap, this would be a better way to go...

9 hours ago, panthers55 said:

It doesn't make anyone feel better to think we might have to move on. But I am realistic and realize it will happen one day. I hope it is years down the road. But I am not going to bury my head in the sand and ignore what is unfortunately a real possibility. Especially given that Tepper doesn't have any past loyslties and wants to win now as well as in 2020 and down the road.

"It will happen one day" is different than there have been current discussions about cutting him.  Yeah sure, one day it might come to that (I doubt it), but to say it has been discussed cutting him this year is just obtuse.  Glad we can agree on that

48 minutes ago, PantherNation123 said:

"It will happen one day" is different than there have been current discussions about cutting him.  Yeah sure, one day it might come to that (I doubt it), but to say it has been discussed cutting him this year is just obtuse.  Glad we can agree on that

Again give it a rest and stop the panicked response. The staff is going to do everything they can to get him healthy. But yeah when you say ALL options are being considered and that is one option.  You Cam nuthuggers are going to have a heart attack with all the overblown responses.

34 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Again give it a rest and stop the panicked response. The staff is going to do everything they can to get him healthy. But yeah when you say ALL options are being considered and that is one option.  You Cam nuthuggers are going to have a heart attack with all the overblown responses.

Easy kid, don't get your panties in a bunch.  You're the only one "panicked" here.  You just can't admit you were wrong.  We have not and are not actively considering cutting Cam.  It's not "nuthugging" to admit what should be obvious even to a brain damaged monkey.  

My viewpoint of success in an NFL season goes with the playoffs and effort. I do not(99.8%) care about win/loss record, make the playoffs and anything can happen. Effort is second, even if the other team has more talent, better QB, healthier etc. etc I want to see legit effort.

I see the Panthers going HARD after a QB with experience, Trevor Siemian.

I see it this way--where were we hurt the most?

• DE 
  • LT
  • SS
  • DT

Throw in some retirements and departures,  you can add:

• C
  • Nickel

Areas where we should bring in  competion

• LG
  • FS

Not going to address QB right now.

So I think we can bring in about 4-5 free agents (SS, Nickel, LG, and DT--that would not be too expensive) and draft LT, DE, FS and C.

If we need a QB, that changes things.

3 hours ago, Prime said:

I'm starting to think it might be a good thing to be bad next year... We have pieces in some spots but for the most part we have a depleted team. With our next year's schedule it's looking like we could get a top 5 pick. 

I doubt PSL fans and folks who actually spend money on tickets agree that we should be bad just to move up the draft. Total loser mentality.

1 hour ago, PantherNation123 said:

Easy kid, don't get your panties in a bunch.  You're the only one "panicked" here.  You just can't admit you were wrong.  We have not and are not actively considering cutting Cam.  It's not "nuthugging" to admit what should be obvious even to a brain damaged monkey.  

Kid.... funny. I bet I have kids as old as you. And how do you know what we are or aren't considering? Unless you are a coach or owner you aren't a we and you don't have a clue. So again give it a rest and breathe. Considering  something doesn't mean we are doing it. Show me one shred of evidence we aren't considering it. You act like you know something instead of speculating which I clearly said I was doing from the start.  I do know what all options means. Apparently you don't.

11 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Kid.... funny. I bet I have kids as old as you. And how do you know what we are or aren't considering? Unless you are a coach or owner you aren't a we and you don't have a clue. So again give it a rest and breathe. Considering  something doesn't mean we are doing it. Show me one shred of evidence we aren't considering it. You act like you know something instead of speculating which I clearly said I was doing from the start.  I do know what all options means. Apparently you don't.

Again, if you actually think cutting Cam is a possibility, I don't know how to help you.  Just because it's an "option" doesn't mean it has been discussed or even brought up as a remote possibility.  Sure, cutting Luke and CMC is also an "option", but that hasn't been discussed either.  The shred of evidence that we aren't considering it, is that we don't have a severely brain damaged front office.  It's simply not an option and hasn't been discussed.  No one in the organization needs to say it isn't a possibility, because the obvious doesn't need to be stated.

38 minutes ago, Prime said:

Listen, usually I would totally agree and this is one of the first times I've said something like this on here... But I've never been this scared as a panthers fan. Every team in our division has been drafting well... And we ARE BEHIND. We're behind in coaching, were behind in players, were behind in cap space... It's not looking good. We've nailed the draft the last 2 years and were still behind. I'm just scared man. Excuse my loser mentality, aka, realistic outlook... I Just think a top 5 pick next year could put us back in the race along with cam back healthy. 

First of all let's assume that Cam will be able to play. If Brees retires then Cam gives us the edge. Norv was able to adapt to Cam's limitations and keep us competitive on offense until Pittsburgh exposed us. Even then he helped Cam play around it until the Tampa game. Allen showed us that our system is quarterback friendly so even if Cam can't play we can find someone who can come in and run the system. So the offense will be pretty good. 

We aren't a top 5 pick in the draft away from contending. We need several free agents on defense and have to solidify the lines on both sides of the ball.  No need for panic yet. There with be plenty of time to go berserk next fall if we do suck. A high draft pick is the consolation prize for sucking not the goal. I am optimistic at this point and don't know why everyone isn't. The 2019 season has even officially started. 

Archived