• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Us - new Jordan Peele horror movie

Hotsauce

Sucked. 

Seriously, the first 45 mins was a pretty good set up. The acting was good, music is (always good), but the story goes off the rails and the writing progressively gets lazier, until the end your left asking yourself why did you waste 2 entire hours. The end is predictable, and there are so many holes in the plot, and things that make no sense whatsoever (and I say this as someone who goes into all horror movies with an open mind). 

I went online soon after to A) read the ending explanation, just in case I missed something and B) to see what other people had to say about it. All “explanations” of the ending, and overall plot, said the same thing, which was nothing really, other than what you already know from the movie. And the critics either hated it or loved it (presumably only because it’s a Jordan Peele movie). 

I was actually mad as I left the theater, because I wanted so bad for it to have been good.  But then I got to thinking about his other horror movie Get Out. I really liked it the first time I saw it because it too, was something new, fresh, and original (and god knows we don’t need any more reboots). However the second time I watched Get Out, I started to dislike it, and the third time, I actually started to hate it. Weird I know...

Good for Jordan tho, he crushed his box office opening, and I do believe he has what it takes to put out a complete, great horror movie.  I will def continue to support his movies as they come out.

Anyway, curious to hear you guys take on it. 

21 minutes ago, Still Brooklyn said:

It's your typical horror movie thriller. But because Peele did it, people for some reason think it's going to be amazing. Replace him with any other dude, and it gets next to no publicity. The twist was meh, the ending was meh, but it was fun if you like the horror/thriller genre.

Accurate 

i actually kinda don’t want to label it horror tbh. It was very much more of a thriller/slasher 

I really really enjoyed US its maybe the best movie i have seen in this early year. People complain about plot holes but this is horror movie of course it had holes. we dont question Jason or Michael Myers. Alot of the ideas and things that are done in the movie are because Peele thought it was scary or to make social commentary not because they make sense in the real world. if you looking for an explanation on how they only ate rabbits or where did the clothes an the scissors come from this movie aint it. 

It almost feel like the social commentary came after he finished filming. Like he forgot to have it so he was like, hmm ... oh ok, the underground represents oppressed people and yeah ... they rise up and stuff.

If you want to make a message, make one. Be Spike Lee. Don't awkwardly hide it. Also ... don't have white doppelgangers, lol.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:52 PM, Hotsauce said:

I was actually mad as I left the theater, because I wanted so bad for it to have been good.  But then I got to thinking about his other horror movie Get Out. I really liked it the first time I saw it because it too, was something new, fresh, and original (and god knows we don’t need any more reboots). However the second time I watched Get Out, I started to dislike it, and the third time, I actually started to hate it. Weird I know...

haven't seen us yet but why did you start to hate get out the more you watched it? Just curious

12 hours ago, SOJA said:

haven't seen us yet but why did you start to hate get out the more you watched it? Just curious

I started to “think” about the details of the movie and it drove me absolutely nuts. I know it’s petty and I should have an open mind, but I felt that the writing of the story, especially towards the second half of both movies, gets very sloppy. 

Reminds me of M Night Shyamalan movies, except Jordan Peele has yet to put out a great movie start to finish. 

I thought it was good and made me think about a lot of different things.

saying it sucked is grossly exaggerating. I can get not liking it. I knew the twist fairly early on. But the acting was top notch especially by the lead. I don’t wanna give spoilers away but there were a TON of really good metaphors, symbolism and references. The black flag shirts (specifically the album he was referencing), the lost boys references that tied into the major theme of the movie. It was pure nostalgia for me. I had a blast. 

Anyone else seen the Twitter posts where they say Peele basically ripped off a Simpsons episode? It was a Treehouse of Horrors episode and everything from dopplegangers wearing red and holding hands, rabbits, a burning car, etc. were in the episode and now the movie. Very strange.

1 hour ago, Still Brooklyn said:

Anyone else seen the Twitter posts where they say Peele basically ripped off a Simpsons episode? It was a Treehouse of Horrors episode and everything from dopplegangers wearing red and holding hands, rabbits, a burning car, etc. were in the episode and now the movie. Very strange.

Uh no. Acting like someone else doing evil doppelgängers and hands across America (which were two separate episodes not all from the same one) is somehow copying is dumb. Simpson’s have literally done every conceivable storyline possible in their 30+ year run. That’s not groundbreaking, it’s kind of a thing on the Internet. South park did an episode about it.

Now if the simpsons did a SINGLE episode where their evil doppelgängers dressed in red with scissors and rabbits and burning cars then I would say wtf. But these aren’t revolutionary, new concepts.

• 1 month later...

Get Out was awesome.  Us was horrible.  My wife/daughter started and they were done 45 minutes in and asked for a synopsis and frankly, I felt like I was getting stupider the more I had to try to explain things.  Rabbits?  Tethered?  Is this everywhere.  Everywhere doesn't have subways.  Try again.

Archived