• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Message board Scouts let's see what you got.

Sub Zero

Very quick off the snap.

Not as "bendy" as you like to see, but makes up for it with his initial burst.

Seems to get discouraged if initial move doesn't pay off. But, does recover and at least hold his position most of the time. He can be stood up and held, though, which I would say some time in the weight room could help.

Reads the QB pretty well. Not so much on the run game. He does at least seem to be able to set the edge. Seems to have a good nose for the ball, but sometimes doesn't look ready to eat.

Flashes some pop and quickness with his hands, but could work on consistency.

Laterally fast, which is a good thing in the NFL for pass rushers.

4 minutes ago, Bronn said:

Very quick off the snap.

Seems to get discouraged if initial move doesn't pay off. But, does recover and at least hold his position most of the time. He can be stood up and held, though, which I would say some time in the weight room could help.

Reads the QB pretty well. Not so much on the run game. He does at least seem to be able to set the edge. Seems to have a good nose for the ball, but sometimes doesn't look ready to eat.

Which game??

Okay... Just finished Miami tape.

Miami gameplanned him well. They chipped him some and doubled him some, and even allowed him to set the edge a lot and just went the other way.

That said, there were some good moments... He made a good read and cancelled out/covered up a screen that resulted in a sack for him. I think it was around 5:10. He also had a couple good moves/bursts in the second half.

Then there were some bad moments, when he was a few feet away from a tackle and stopped pursuit to let others try and make the tackle. It cost them yards in both instances. He was literally jogging a few plays, which I can't stand.

Show me you're hungry, Burns!

I see some Pep in him. I see some Von Miller in him. But what I want to see most is more strength and more consistent effort. I know guys get tired, especially if you've been neutralized for the most part. But I want you to go out there and try to eat all that food, not take bird bites.

He still sets a good edge in the run game. He can get around ends. His size does hurt him, but I think he has the tools to compensate. Does he have the desire, though? That'll be my biggest question moving forward after these two specific games.

1 minute ago, Bronn said:

Okay... Just finished Miami tape.

Miami gameplanned him well. They chipped him some and doubled him some, and even allowed him to set the edge a lot and just went the other way.

That said, there were some good moments... He made a good read and cancelled out/covered up a screen that resulted in a sack for him. I think it was around 5:10. He also had a couple good moves/bursts in the second half.

Then there were some bad moments, when he was a few feet away from a tackle and stopped pursuit to let others try and make the tackle. It cost them yards in both instances. He was literally jogging a few plays, which I can't stand.

Show me you're hungry, Burns!

I see some Pep in him. I see some Von Miller in him. But what I want to see most is more strength and more consistent effort. I know guys get tired, especially if you've been neutralized for the most part. But I want you to go out there and try to eat all that food, not take bird bites.

He still sets a good edge in the run game. He can get around ends. His size does hurt him, but I think he has the tools to compensate. Does he have the desire, though? That'll be my biggest question moving forward after these two specific games.

Saw alot of the same things.. I know you don't want to jump on a pile but some of that slowing down and not getting in the scrum was annoying..

Just now, Sub Zero said:

Saw alot of the same things.. I know you don't want to jump on a pile but some of that slowing down and not getting in the scrum was annoying..

I think Luke and some of our other guys will get on him for that reaaaaallly fast and coach it out of him. I hope so, at least.

I'm not upset with the pick at all. I mean, you can always second guess it. But I see promise in what little I have seen of him. Hopefully we can coach him up, and put him in spots to succeed. I do see him as a bit of an Edge rather than a traditional 4-3 DE, which is hopefully where we plan to play him.

24 minutes ago, Bronn said:

Very quick off the snap.

From the entirety of the first tape, this is true. He got double-teamed more than any of his teammates and did show a great first step. That tackle for a loss was great as was the sack.

That being said, he started wearing down at the end of the second due to the double teams and you could tell he wasn't pushing as hard. That may be just running out of gas after fighting. In the third, they let up on him a bit and he came roaring back and won the endurance battle in the fourth.

He also played on both left and right sides regularly. Dropping back into pass defense was, well, not inspiring. He needs some work there. 

He does need to work on strength, but even more so on technique. He relies on that quickness rather than multiple attacks and was often redirected and ridden around and past the QB. After being redirected here, he was often lackluster in his effort to get back into the play.

There's a lot of good here and you can teach long and fast like he is, but there's still some serious work to be done. Wonder if he can shift completely to the Sam linebacker position and still make it? Working the hybrid I can see he has some upside, but he is much more of a charger than a chaser.

Second tape was better against better competition. A lot of the same before, but there was a Miami tackle that could lock him up pretty well. I think that he may need to work on strength conditioning or a hump or swim move to break up when a pro grabs him by the front of his jersey. And that's going to happen. A lot.

He did jog through a number of plays, once again most often in pursuit situations. This was balanced out by times his aggressiveness would allow him to be ridden around and past the play in the run game.

On the good side, man, when he moves he is fast. And those long arms can swat the ball, if he could remember to get them up and in the passing lanes. 

There's a lot of potential there, but he's needing some more polish and some more meat on his bones. Can he add both without losing what makes him special? 

Archived