• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some former Bears have the knives out for our ol’ friend John Fox

ellis

This feels like an advocacy piece for sports media folks. 

Fox’s job wasn’t to curry favor with fans or the media. His job was to win games. He didn’t do that. Thus, he was canned.

Belichick is the most secretive, guarded coach in sports. He doesn’t engage with local hacks or fans for that matter.

He wins games. That’s the ONLY way to make fans happy. 

The media? They’re never happy.

3 minutes ago, ellis said:

This feels like an advocacy piece for sports media folks. 

Fox’s job wasn’t to curry favor with fans or the media. His job was to win games. He didn’t do that. Thus, he was canned.

Belichick is the most secretive, guarded coach in sports. He doesn’t engage with local hacks or fans for that matter.

He wins games. That’s how to make fans happy. 

The media? They’re never happy.

The media is essential. However they will stab you in the back. They want to be buddies for access and then throw you under the bus for a story. It's been amplified as media isnt as professional as it used to be 

The media has a job to do. I can appreciate that. I’ve been a part of press avails on every level of football. It makes the job difficult when you can’t generate good quotes. 

The emerging role of an NFL coach is that of  goodwill ambassador. It’s a necessary evil for those guys. None of them want to do much more than lock themselves in an office and prep. Fox was old-guard, caught up in the new media age. But make no mistake: winning is the ultimate deodorant. He was fired for not winning games.  

12 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Not the popular opinion around but... I always kinda liked him. Similarly, it’s not popular to like Rivers but yet again... I really like him. 

John Fox did good work here. Took a 1-15 dumpster fire to all the way to a last-second Super Bowl loss in less than 24 months. He put the Panthers into the “final four” twice in three years. 

1 minute ago, ellis said:

John Fox did good work here. Took a 1-15 dumpster fire to all the way to a last-second Super Bowl loss in less than 24 months. He put the Panthers into the “final four” twice. The franchise has been in a better place since those contributions. 

Completely agree. Everyone is talking about how he lost games but he actually was a pretty successful HC. And I bring up Rivera as well because it’s the same thing. 

Its funny to me how a lot of posters hold double standards in this regard. I see people on here all the time saying “be careful what you wish for. We are lucky to have Cam. You’ll know when he’s done”

I 100% agree with that. Yet they slam coaches like Fox and Rivera that have absolutely been better than 80% of the other coaches around the league during their tenures with us. We are pretty lucky to have them as well imo. And they’ll see when Ron is gone

Archived