• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Soccer....

SCP

Spoken from a true, stuck up football/baseball jock, right?

I f**king hate when people say that.

agreed!!

Soccer players are some of the most fit athletes in the world...they run miles per game!

I also agree you probably have to play to really understand and appreciate what the pros do.

Soccer requires a lot of patience... It always keeps you at an edge of your sit and there is no freaking commercials every 2 minutes. In a good game there can be about 35-50 scoring chances but only 3-5 goals will be scored. Soccer is a strategic game, like chess, where every move can be a deadly one. Its also artistic where insane goals can be scored... And if you want to talked about a true team supporters? Look no farther than Soccer stadium where about 50,000 people sing songs and chant for their team all at the same time. If you want to understand soccer, watch European Champions League either Wednesday or Tuesday every other week at 2:45 p.m. on ESPN 2.

I tried to get into soccer (live with an El Salvarodian roommate and it becomes a necessity). But I just couldn't get into it for two reasons.

1.) Too low scoring.

2.) Too many people taking dives. I can't stand it. Say what you will, "oh, football players take dives too." But we can all agree that in soccer, taking a dive is much more prevalent, and they just try to sell it way too hard. They're laying on the pitch flailing around and screaming, and grabbing his leg and writhing in agony, you'd expect when he takes his hand away there's a compound fracture jutting out of his knee-highs. Then you see the replay and the other guy just tapped him on the shoulder, and the recipient of the love tap flings himself on the floor in response.

I will never embrace a sport where the athletes do shiz like that. Kinda worried about the state of football, because Tom Brady is single-handedly trying to incorporate taking a dive into this sport.

I will however, give soccer credit for one thing, and that's the fanaticism of the fans. During the entire game fans are cheering and chanting and singing fight songs. It's never quiet. College football has that, to a degree, but it's totally lacking in Pro Football

50,000 people....sounds like a European high school soccer game!

Soccer to Europeans = football to small town Texas

Town where my wife grew up in Germany has only about 2500 residents and yet they have a 14,000 seat football stadium with lights and barely an empty seat even for rec league games.

Fox got the CL rights this year. The matches are on FSC and FSN now, the final will be on FX.

50,000 people....sounds like a European high school soccer game!

Soccer to Europeans = football to small town Texas

Town where my wife grew up in Germany has only about 2500 residents and yet they have a 14,000 seat football stadium with lights and barely an empty seat even for rec league games.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4243189,00.html

2.) Too many people taking dives. I can't stand it. Say what you will, "oh, football players take dives too." But we can all agree that in soccer, taking a dive is much more prevalent, and they just try to sell it way too hard. They're laying on the pitch flailing around and screaming, and grabbing his leg and writhing in agony, you'd expect when he takes his hand away there's a compound fracture jutting out of his knee-highs. Then you see the replay and the other guy just tapped him on the shoulder, and the recipient of the love tap flings himself on the floor in response.

If you accept it as part of the game, it's really not a big deal. You're talking about something that factors in to less than 3% of a match. The EPL has instituted yellow cards for players caught taking a dive in order to reduce that part of the game. It's one of the sticking points detractors point to when they say they don't like the game, but in reality it's not really that big of a deal. It's like basketball players trying to draw a charge by falling down on contact.

Archived