• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Training Camp Chatter with Cam Newton

XClown1986

Hello all. I have been going to training camp every year for about 4-5 practices for the past 15 years. In all of those years I have heard many interesting and funny comments from players, but this year beat all. I had the privilege of standing no more than 20 feet from Cam Newton and several teammates for roughly 20 minutes and I can say with absolute certainty... Cam Newton is a jovial human being with a great sense of humor. Some of the back and forth between him and fans, and him and other players, was a blast to behold. Allow me to transcribe some examples.

Fan: Hey Cam! I'm Dr. Newton!

Cam: Oh yeah? Where you from?

Dr. N: Fayetteville

Cam: Oh you mean Fayette-nam?!

(back and forth chatter)

Dr. N: I'm guessing I can't ask you for an autograph right now.

Cam: Nah. It's frowned upon  during practice.... They think we aren't paying attention. But... Fact is.... we need ya'll.

Dr. N: How about a picture?

Cam: Look... I can't pose with you. But if you snap the picture, and I'm in it, I'll act like I didn't know what you were doing.

Dr. N (takes selfie with his daughter. Cam is in the background)

Cam (strikes a very upright and regal pose): You got it? OH WAIT. You need my good side. (turns the other direction and gives a dramatic pose again. Fans all laugh)

______________________________________________________________________________________-

Cam (passing around a youth sized ball with Torrey Smith): You know I'm in the Guiness Book of World Records?

Torrey: For what?

Cam: Most consecutive one-handed catches

Torrey: I thought someone else just------

Cam (cuts him off): NO. I... I set the record. Just last week. Jarvis Landry had it before me. I'm also in there for longest pass to be caught between your legs.

Torrey: Like you catch it with your legs?

Cam: Yep.

Torrey: Man... That's trust right there. TRUST. 

Cam: Yep. 35 yards out. That's the record.

Torrey: Does it matter what part of your legs catches it?

Cam: Nope. You coulda caught it up under your gooch. (Crowd hears this and laughs)

Cam (to security guard): Hey lawdog! I didn't see you there! What's goin on?

Guard: Just workin.

Cam: Hey! You wanna see a magic trick?

Guard: Sure

Cam: You see all these people? (gestures to fans on sidelines)

Guard: Yeah

Cam: I bet if you fire one shot into the air all of them will disappear. (Fans laugh)

In conclusion>>> Cam is a naturally energetic, positive, and goofy guy. He is amazing to his fans, teammates, and the other workers around him. It was awesome to see. I was lucky enough to be there for some of it.

Because of work I haven't been able to go training camp for a few years so I really have missed this kind of thing, though it sounds like cam is more on it than he's been in a while. 

I'll be taking the wife and daughters down there Sunday because my daughters started asking about going. I'm really hoping they get to see and hear some of this kind of thing. 

Archived