• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching matters. Take a look and find out why.

ellis

39 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

It won't matter what I say if your mind is made up. You aren't open to any changes he may have made so no need to debate.

Well, frankly, I’ll be honest with you... you’re correct.  My mind is made up.  I have 8 years of track record of input data on which to make that decision.

Would rather this team be well-coached and win than haphazardly and mediocre-aly coached and lose.  This organizations fans (by and large) deserve it.

I am firmly convinced Ron is utterly mediocre.  As others have pointed out, that doesn’t mean he isn’t a great human being.  Hell, the way he shows his love for our country, hand over heart, serving our veterans and active duty military when he can, ABSOLUTELY means he has a soft spot reserved in my heart.

But my criticism has EVERYTHING to do with his coaching, lack of ability to adapt to the new NFL world, and (co-related) his stubbornness. 

I don’t think he’ll ever change. I don’t think he WANTS to change.  And how he’s used and abused Cam Newton over 8 years I won’t get into because my old Navy language will engage full-force. 

8 hours ago, ellis said:

He doesn’t always get outcoached. But the fact that he was fundamentally overmatched on opening day really concerns me.

I’m not pushing for Ron to be fired after one game this year. I’m pointing out a critical 45 second stretch during a game, and how it could have cost them a week one win. It felt sloppy and terrible in person, and it looks almost as bad on television. I was pretty confident my eyes weren’t failing me on site.

Which were the subs and which weren’t. Riddle that.

I didn’t read the entire thing, but one small coaching decision that made me upset was not pushing everything possible to score before the 2-min warning in the 4th. After giving up two timeouts, your only chance with that amount of time left was scoring quickly. We called a few running plays and lollygagged and ended up scoring a few seconds after the warning. Then no way to stop the clock after 1 timeout. Pissed me off. The playcalling should’ve been so that we are moving fast down field or throwing incomplete passes to stop it.

But little things like that decide the game.

8 hours ago, beastson said:

If he had it his way, John Fox would still be the Head Coach.

That's true lol.

According to a few none of our HC's are bad and we clearly have a winning record as a team and have won some SBs instead of losing them and keep seeing the same mistakes over and over. None of this is the HC's fault so must be the GM who can't draft the right players but oh the GM isn't bad either and hasn't ever been.

Wow guys we're a historic franchise!

oh

6 hours ago, Castavar said:

Firstly, great observations and great content. Thanks for sharing. These little things go unnoticed but really bring to light how Ron gets outcoached by the smarter coaches. Sean Payton has been doing this for YEARS, and even Dan Quinn to some extent. The fact that we only lost by 3 to the NFC champs shows just how much talent we have on this team being wasted by bad coaching.

I've compared this situation for a long time now. We COULD HAVE been like the Golden State Warriors. If anybody remembers right, the GSW were a decent team with Mark Jackson. They had great players and started showing flashes of brilliance, but kept falling short in the playoffs. The GSW ended up firing Mark Jackson as some thought he wasn't doing enough with a talented roster. Well, they end up hiring an unproven coach (Steve Kerr) and go on to be one of the best teams in history because they got a coach who actually used their players right and implemented a GREAT system and scheme. I honestly felt (and still feel) we could have been on the cusp of greatness with two hall of famers on BOTH sides of the ball (how often does that happen?). But no, this dumbass franchise squandered one of the best opportunities in history because of their loyalty and stubbornness for change.

I don't understand it. I'm not saying hire and fire a coach every 2 years, but coaches get fired all the time. The Bengals franchise kept Marvin Lewis way longer than they should have. Eagles kept Andy Reid longer than they should have. This franchise kept Fox way longer than they should have. The same Fox that the Broncos took, went to the SB and lost. He went 12-4 the next season and they still got rid of him. 12-4. They got rid of him and who did they beat in the SB the next season? Us. This franchise has kept Ron Rivera longer than they should have. He and Cam don't pair. At all. JR didn't see that and apparently neither does Tepper. I know I bag on Gettleman and some people bag on Marty, but collectively they've done enough for us to get to the playoffs. Cam would have to be benched because he's playing so poorly for me to excuse Ron for the team not getting there this year. Regardless I said it before, losing the SB the first time you go I don't see you redeeming yourself with that same team. Go back 20 years, find a coach who lost their first SB with a team, go on and win it with the same team. They can't even get back to the big game. Ron hit his peak in 2015.

6 hours ago, Castavar said:

Firstly, great observations and great content. Thanks for sharing. These little things go unnoticed but really bring to light how Ron gets outcoached by the smarter coaches. Sean Payton has been doing this for YEARS, and even Dan Quinn to some extent. The fact that we only lost by 3 to the NFC champs shows just how much talent we have on this team being wasted by bad coaching.

I've compared this situation for a long time now. We COULD HAVE been like the Golden State Warriors. If anybody remembers right, the GSW were a decent team with Mark Jackson. They had great players and started showing flashes of brilliance, but kept falling short in the playoffs. The GSW ended up firing Mark Jackson as some thought he wasn't doing enough with a talented roster. Well, they end up hiring an unproven coach (Steve Kerr) and go on to be one of the best teams in history because they got a coach who actually used their players right and implemented a GREAT system and scheme. I honestly felt (and still feel) we could have been on the cusp of greatness with two hall of famers on BOTH sides of the ball (how often does that happen?). But no, this dumbass franchise squandered one of the best opportunities in history because of their loyalty and stubbornness for change.

I don't understand it. I'm not saying hire and fire a coach every 2 years, but coaches get fired all the time. The Bengals franchise kept Marvin Lewis way longer than they should have. Eagles kept Andy Reid longer than they should have. This franchise kept Fox way longer than they should have. The same Fox that the Broncos took, went to the SB and lost. He went 12-4 the next season and they still got rid of him. 12-4. They got rid of him and who did they beat in the SB the next season? Us. This franchise has kept Ron Rivera longer than they should have. He and Cam don't pair. At all. JR didn't see that and apparently neither does Tepper. I know I bag on Gettleman and some people bag on Marty, but collectively they've done enough for us to get to the playoffs. Cam would have to be benched because he's playing so poorly for me to excuse Ron for the team not getting there this year. Regardless I said it before, losing the SB the first time you go I don't see you redeeming yourself with that same team. Go back 20 years, find a coach who lost their first SB with a team, go on and win it with the same team. They can't even get back to the big game. Ron hit his peak in 2015.

Archived