• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Jake theory

Matt Foley

Last year, Jake throttled back and didn't take chances because he didn't trust his arm after the surgery.

After the Oakland and Arizona debacles last year, he was determined to prove everyone wrong, taking more chances this year. Moose and Smitty no longer bail him out on some of his throws (we've seen each tip balls and not try to break up interceptions) and Smitty is no longer happy in the offense because it's so run-heavy (in theory). So Jake is out there trying to do too much by himself.

If the team gives him a gameplan similar to the one they used at Atlanta, the Panthers will beat the Cardinals. And Jake will look good as they do it.

I don't think Jake's arm is what it used to be and it wasn't the strongest to begin with. His accuracy is terrible and his confidence or comfort in the pocket has been crushed whether he will admit it or not.

Yeah Smitty isn't happy but probably most of the receivers aren't. The teams' confidence level in Jake is at an all time low. Disaster in Arizona again and a performance like the Titans put up against the Patriots could be on the horizon.

We need to go in a new direction at the QB spot in the worst way.

Last year, Jake throttled back and didn't take chances because he didn't trust his arm after the surgery.

After the Oakland and Arizona debacles last year, he was determined to prove everyone wrong, taking more chances this year. Moose and Smitty no longer bail him out on some of his throws (we've seen each tip balls and not try to break up interceptions) and Smitty is no longer happy in the offense because it's so run-heavy (in theory). So Jake is out there trying to do too much by himself.

If the team gives him a gameplan similar to the one they used at Atlanta, the Panthers will beat the Cardinals. And Jake will look good as they do it.

I think Smitty loved the offense last year...he was the only WR to average over 100 yards a game last season.

I have been wondering if maybe Smitty is not trying as hard as he has in the past to expose Jake as not being such a good QB to get some kind of change to happen in the offseason or to send a message that they should have done something this past offseason.

I don't agree with this theory (actually I reject it) because I don't know how Moose and Smitty (and especially Smitty) even have a real opportunity to bail Jake out when they are either up in the air because Jake can't hit the broad side of a barn, and/or momentum is taking them one way while a short ball or pass behind them is going another way. The Moose and Smitty that I know are going to break up the pass if it is at all possible.

Smitty always had a problem when guys got a contract he didn't think they deserved. i.e. see Lucas.

that said, if Jake thinks there is a problem with himself, then he needs to sort it out on his own time, instead of ours. What Jake Delhomme is doing by confidently going out there when he knows there's a problem and still hurting the team is similar to drunk driving.

I don't think Jake's arm is what it used to be and it wasn't the strongest to begin with.

This the kind of crap that pisses me off! Even some of the people who have said they are Jake supporters in the past, have made back-handed compliments. Typically, it would be something like this...he made a great throw to win the game, But he's no Brett Farve! That may be true, but on some Sundays in the past, he may have had a better game then Farve or Manning or Brady. The part of this comment that chaps my butt is "it wasn't the strongest to begin with".

If I remember correctly, in the Quarterback competition a few years ago Drew Brees made a longest throw of about 65 yds. Carson Palmer's throw was the longest at 74 yds. Jake throw was 72 yds...but he won the overall competition that year. The point is, no one seems to feel the need to end a Drew Brees complement with "but he's got a weak arm".

I hope the Panthers win the game, and I hope Jake pulls out of his slump. He certainly isn't playing his best. but there were times in the past when he did play well. I think that the Panthers have more problems than Jake. With the game planning, and the way the team has played, I don't believe ANY quarterback could save them.

That's right it's all Moose and Smitty's fault, they aren't trying hard enough....but wait I thought it was the O-line's fault....no, no, wait its the OC's fault...or, it could be the water boy's fault....cause it could NEVER EVER be Jake's fault.

So, the baseline is no one (but Jake) is trying hard enough for Jake? IfF that is true, what should that be telling ya'? Inquiring minds would love to know...

"I don't think Jake's arm is what it used to be and it wasn't the strongest to begin with."

This the kind of crap that pisses me off! Even some of the people who have said they are Jake supporters in the past, have made back-handed compliments. Typically, it would be something like this...he made a great throw to win the game, But he's no Brett Farve! That may be true, but on some Sundays in the past, he may have had a better game then Farve or Manning or Brady. The part of this comment that chaps my butt is "it wasn't the strongest to begin with".

If I remember correctly, in the Quarterback competition a few years ago Drew Brees made a longest throw of about 65 yds. Carson Palmer's throw was the longest at 74 yds. Jake throw was 72 yds...but he won the overall competition that year. The point is, no one seems to feel the need to end a Drew Brees complement with "but he's got a weak arm".

I hope the Panthers win the game, and I hope Jake pulls out of his slump. He certainly isn't playing his best. but there were times in the past when he did play well. I think that the Panthers have more problems than Jake. With the game planning, and the way the team has played, I don't believe ANY quarterback could save them.

You fugged up on your attempt to quote me there Tiger.

Throwing a ball 60 yards or whatever with a rainbow on it has little to do with throwing a laser 20 yards down field accurately. I imagine you can see a difference in velocity between quarterbacks and how they throw?

Anyway, get some chapstick on that ass. :rolleyes:

You fugged up on your attempt to quote me there Tiger.

Throwing a ball 60 yards or whatever with a rainbow on it has little to do with throwing a laser 20 yards down field accurately. I imagine you can see a difference in velocity between quarterbacks and how they throw?

Anyway, get some chapstick on that ass. :rolleyes:

Lol

Good point though man.

Watch cutler throw a 20 yard pass, and then watch Jake or someone like Pennington throw the same pass. You will see what people mean when they refer to a strong arm.

Archived